TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by beautyfromashes »

The Big 10 is TERRIBLE this year. The highest bowl eligible team is Michigan State which is ranking 20th. What happens if the Big 10 champion isn't ranked high enough to be part of the BCS?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

beautyfromashes wrote:The Big 10 is TERRIBLE this year. The highest bowl eligible team is Michigan State which is ranking 20th. What happens if the Big 10 champion isn't ranked high enough to be part of the BCS?
Ranking does not matter for the winner of the B1G. It will only come into play if a second team is considered, and that team would have to be in the top 14.
2. The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, and Southeastern Conferences will have automatic berths in one of the participating bowls through the 2013 regular season.
If there are fewer than 10 automatic qualifiers, then the bowls will select at-large participants to fill the remaining berths. An at-large team is any Football Bowl Subdivision team that is bowl-eligible and meets the following requirements:

A. Has won at least nine regular-season games, and

B. Is among the top 14 teams in the final BCS Standings.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What if Ohio State wins the Big 10 but isn't bowl eligible this year because of sanctions? Do they go to the second best Big 10 team and how do they determine who that is? Or, does it allow for another at-large bid team from the other conferences?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote:What if Ohio State wins the Big 10 but isn't bowl eligible this year because of sanctions? Do they go to the second best Big 10 team and how do they determine who that is? Or, does it allow for another at-large bid team from the other conferences?
Ohio State (and Penn State) are not eligible to participate in the Big Ten Championship game, and thus, cannot be Big Ten Champs.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The SEC has yet to renegotiate it's TV deal and is still working on an SEC Network. Hopefully, news like this gives Mike Slive more leverage to get the SEC a much better TV deal and helps get carriers for the SEC Network.

NCAA Week 4: With K-State/Oklahoma, FOX the Big Loser Saturday Night

Unranked Auburn, Mizzou get more ratings than Top 15 teams Oklahoma, K-State

Don't get me wrong! I'd rather be K-State with a win that nobody sees as opposed to Mizzou with a loss that everyone sees. But, it's nice to know that Mizzou isn't hurting the SEC's TV viewership. And, in theory, this is could help Mizzou's exposure (if they could WIN one here or there). If nothing else, I think it makes Mike Slive very pleased.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

AllThingsKC wrote:The SEC has yet to renegotiate it's TV deal and is still working on an SEC Network. Hopefully, news like this gives Mike Slive more leverage to get the SEC a much better TV deal and helps get carriers for the SEC Network.

NCAA Week 4: With K-State/Oklahoma, FOX the Big Loser Saturday Night

Unranked Auburn, Mizzou get more ratings than Top 15 teams Oklahoma, K-State

Don't get me wrong! I'd rather be K-State with a win that nobody sees as opposed to Mizzou with a loss that everyone sees. But, it's nice to know that Mizzou isn't hurting the SEC's TV viewership. And, in theory, this is could help Mizzou's exposure (if they could WIN one here or there). If nothing else, I think it makes Mike Slive very pleased.
I'm sorry, but that's a horrible angle to take. Mizzou was playing SCar, and Auburn was playing LSU. Both of those are top 10 teams.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

True. A game featuring a Top 10 team/an unranked team in the SEC (in the afternoon) got more ratings than a game with 2 Top 15 teams in the Big 12 (in primetime). The primetime Big 12 game between 2 Top 15 teams had the second lowest ratings on FOX this year.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Stop trying to justify your move. There were several big games going against each other that night, and when people want to watch college football, they know that Notre Dame is on NBC, SEC is on CBS, ABC has the big games, and that ESPN has games all day. Fox just got into the game and people really don't know to look there for games yet. Come back in a couple of years and that game is getting better ratings. Trade the KSU-OU game slot with the MU-USC game slot and you can also trade the ratings (in fact, KSU-OU would probably get better ratings than MU-USC did, and MU-USC would have gotten worse).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat wrote:Stop trying to justify your move.
I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm just tooting my own horn. Buried in this thread, I have said that even if Mizzou went winless in the SEC, they would at least have better exposure on TV. So far, I've been right. Of course, things can always change. That's why I'm bragging RIGHT NOW....while I'm still right! :P
phxcat wrote:There were several big games going against each other that night, and when people want to watch college football, they know that Notre Dame is on NBC, SEC is on CBS, ABC has the big games, and that ESPN has games all day.
Just like every Saturday, right?
phxcat wrote:Come back in a couple of years and that game is getting better ratings. Trade the KSU-OU game slot with the MU-USC game slot and you can also trade the ratings (in fact, KSU-OU would probably get better ratings than MU-USC did, and MU-USC would have gotten worse).
:lol: Actual numbers vs. future possible numbers? Hard to argue with that.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

At Ameristar's Sports Bar last night three games were on the 3 big tv's, Florida vs Florida St, Texas vs OSU, and Neb vs Wis. Could have the sound to only one game. And it was the Big Ten game.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

THE WAIT IS OVER!*
THE TEXAS/OHIO STATE
RIVALRY IS BACK!

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

We need a sleeping emoticon ASAP.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I don't get this at all.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
I don't get this at all.
My guess is Big Ten wants those TV markets.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
I don't get this at all.
My guess is Big Ten wants those TV markets.
Those teams and TV markets are not going to get the conference $40-50 million which they would need for it to make financial sense. Nope. Two schools that suck, with small fanbases, with TV markets that couldn't care less about college sports. No way.

I think it has to be adding two pud teams for easy wins for their championship contenders. They want to put the SEC model together. I can't really blame them I guess.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Highlander wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Those teams and TV markets are not going to get the conference $40-50 million which they would need for it to make financial sense. Nope. Two schools that suck, with small fanbases, with TV markets that couldn't care less about college sports. No way.

I think it has to be adding two pud teams for easy wins for their championship contenders. They want to put the SEC model together. I can't really blame them I guess.
The big X is, however, a pretty elite academic conference. I do not know how Rutgers and Maryland are academically but I can't think the Big X would want to dilute that overall excellence for some fodder for their more elite programs. For all we like to poke fun at Nebraska, next to UT and A&M, it was the top academic school in the B12 conference.

They're good academically. I don't think they improve academics but they don't hurt. Stop spreading AllThingsKC's myth that academics matter in conference expansion.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't have a link to prove this, but a Big 10 spokesperson said Nebraska wouldn't have gotten a invite if the loss of their AAU status had happened prior to joining the Big 10.

The SEC has been viewed as being a poor academic conference. I am sure MU's and A&M's AAU status didn't hurt.

So, yeah, I think it's fair to say that academics play a role, but I don't think they are the overall factor.