OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by STLguy1 »

Good grief. Every station keeps reporting about how people are not moving through the terminal drop and pick up areas and causing back ups. This isn't rocket science, hasn't anyone from this town been to other airports (like most) that do this type of drop off. People idling and even parking. Ugh.

And this guy in the Star. Idiot!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 95540.html
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I reposted that on Twitter, and it belongs in the kcstar Smithsonian.

They've posted it at least twice now to try to get some outrage.

Inject it straight in. Just inject the outrage straight in to my blood veins.

To have a local paper that thinks this is even an appropriate way to discuss things, what's the purpose of taking them seriously anymore?

We are the most pro-development place on the internet and yet have still come out with better negative discourse.

I'd really recommend anyone that deals with a hedge fund newspaper to just stop and support Missouri independent and Kevin here, local radio, local universities.

It's just so funny to be dumb.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:50 am support Missouri independent and Kevin here
That's exactly what I did. I just read Cityscene & Biz journal every morning and don't even bother with the Star anymore.

I can't believe the man in the story said the old terminals were an "economic boon" to the city HAHA.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I've been flying a lot more lately and it feels like every airport is a shit show in some way. Whether it's chronic construction, lack of curb space, or just airport users who don't read the signs (or are actively trying to run you over).

This too shall pass, but it will be replaced by something else in short order.

The quicker you can get comfortable with for-profit media's approach for clicks, the faster you avoid posting (and then shit-posting responses) about the "crazy opinions" posted to generate your very predictable reaction.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There are two parts to an airport that people often conflate - the government security, and the amenities and functionality.

London Heathrow used to be the most miserable airport in the world but the government now allows us citizens to go through by machine. It's actually quite nice.

So the focus should be on getting people picked up and dropped off in the most efficient way possible because that's actually in our control.

I do think it was a mistake to not stress test the new terminal for these issues, but I have faith they'll make adjustments.

As for media, there are lots of people trying to provide good news, and many of them are for profit. The better we can do at sending people to and supporting the good ones, the better. KCUR, Kevin, Missouri independent, I'm sure I'm missing some.

But, keep dunking on the star. It's okay to have a laugh and show them for what they are, a click bait owned by a fund trying to suck them dry. Just don't click and engage with it :)
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:21 pm I do think it was a mistake to not stress test the new terminal for these issues, but I have faith they'll make adjustments.
I agree that even if they fix the "pick up issues", they'll find some other nitpicky issue to complain about and try to keep the narrative going on for years that "maybe we should've kept the old shitty terminal!"

And they'll do the same thing for the Royals new stadium too. They'll search everywhere for an issue and then claim "maybe the new stadium is worse!"
Hell, they might even try to do that with the new streetcar extension too.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:45 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:21 pm I do think it was a mistake to not stress test the new terminal for these issues, but I have faith they'll make adjustments.
I agree that even if they fix the "pick up issues", they'll find some other nitpicky issue to complain about and try to keep the narrative going on for years that "maybe we should've kept the old shitty terminal!"

And they'll do the same thing for the Royals new stadium too. They'll search everywhere for an issue and then claim "maybe the new stadium is worse!"
Hell, they might even try to do that with the new streetcar extension too.
It's weird that in our politically polarized world, what people think about the new terminal (and downtown stadium for that matter) falls along the same lines as their political convictions. The Star is often accused of being a "liberal rag" but it doesn't mind providing the confirmation bias so many people are looking for to keep their subscriptions up. It's not that they are nitpicky, they just like creating controversy where there is none and constantly attempting to push people's buttons.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Star is so far from being a liberal paper it's not even funny. The Washing Post is most definitely a liberal rag for example. The Star totally caters to the few people that still subscribe to them (older white suburban/rural). That was a good news organization 20 years ago. Now it's totally crap. There are better suburban papers out there. It's hard to believe they are still in business because they don't represent the city of KCMO well at all anymore and I'm pretty sure they don't employ anybody that actually lives in the city if you read any of their articles.

They just want people in Johnson County and Lee's Summit to click on their links. So they are about KU and stories like this. The Star looks like a high school publication now.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

First trip this morning. 5am and ecstatic that the Delta Lounge was open. Lines for the two coffee places post security were long, but I heard they moved quickly.

Smallest Delta lounge I've ever seen.

In every way better than the old terminals. Never look back.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:41 pm First trip this morning. 5am and ecstatic that the Delta Lounge was open. Lines for the two coffee places post security were long, but I heard they moved quickly.

I thought they said the Delta lounge was right about mid sized compared to all the others? It sure looks like a nice one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

City market coffee and messenger are the two you were referring to? There is also Dunkin, parisi and some of the others do coffee but not a full on coffee place.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:41 pm First trip this morning. 5am and ecstatic that the Delta Lounge was open. Lines for the two coffee places post security were long, but I heard they moved quickly.

What's the entrance requirement for the Delta Lounge? Holding a Delta Platinum credit card, business class ticket or X amount of Delta airline miles?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Delta recently tightened up access to their lounges - other than having their own top-level credit card (or an Amex Platinum), you have to be a top-level elite or flying in Delta One on at least one leg of your journey.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Delta lounges are effectively amex lounges. At some airports they've actually started forming two lines, those that get access through their ticket and amex card holders.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The Skyclub is a lot bigger than the locations at some of our peers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

swid wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:06 pm Delta recently tightened up access to their lounges - other than having their own top-level credit card (or an Amex Platinum), you have to be a top-level elite or flying in Delta One on at least one leg of your journey.
and like most (now all?) airline specific lounges only if flying delta. amex alone won't get you in.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Last edited by shinatoo on Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:48 pm

I thought they said the Delta lounge was right about mid sized compared to all the others? It sure looks like a nice one.
It was very nice. Just small compared to the few I've been to.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:26 pm

What's the entrance requirement for the Delta Lounge? Holding a Delta Platinum credit card, business class ticket or X amount of Delta airline miles?
Amex Platinum and any same-day Delta ticket. They let me in at my destination too, I had a lot of time to kill this morning.

Would not let me in at the Centurion Lunge, must have a departing ticket.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

We are taking the bus to our hotel downtown from KCI and then returning our rental car to the airport, so will have a review of using both the city bus an the rental car shuttle!