Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Post by Burton »

Thats fine, I'm up for it! And if you get your way and it passes, I'll come back in 10 years when the Royals are still losing 100+, and drawing less than 20,000 a night, and read how pretty you think the new glass around the stadium is and how great the 40 foot wide concourses are while I'll be working for a firm building better ballparks in the right places.  :cheers:
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote: Thats fine, I'm up for it! And if you get your way and it passes, I'll come back in 10 years when the Royals are still losing 100+, and drawing less than 20,000 a night, and read how pretty you think the new glass around the stadium is and how great the 40 foot wide concourses  :
best of luck to you. since every mlb team and nfl team ( after the royals and chiefs get taken care of ) either have new stadiums, or have them approved ( oakland, san diego, dc, indy ) i guess you will either be designing them for minnesota, or somewhere in china.

and i personally will wager anything you want they do not lose 100 this season, or even 90. care to bet on that one?
Burton wrote:   while I'll be working for a firm building better ballparks in the right places. 
wow. i remember those days, when i was POSITIVE where i would be in 10 years after school. mine had me as a saute chef at the library grill in boston.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

Toronto, Tampa Bay, New York (Mets not approved yet), Los Angeles, Miami (or wherever they move), all are MLB markets which could have new stadiums within the next 10 years.

New York (new meadowlands not approved yet), miami, san diego, kansas city (assuming vote fails), new orleans, minneapolis, san francisco, all are NFL markets which could have new stadiums within the next 10 years, plus an opportunity for a Los Angeles expansion team.

Plus all of the minor league markets.

I'm not worried at all about the marketplace for new stadiums and ballparks when I get into the field. And correct me here if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that one of your professors was employed at the library grill in boston, in my case an architect from 360 and another that is a partner at the Foss Seligson Lafferty firm, or that you had chefs from your dreamjob restaurants critiquing your projects and work, or that your culinary program was located in the city and worked hand in hand with your industry's leading companies, offering you great "ins" for interning and post graduate job opportunities. So if you were being fecesious about where I'll be in 10 years, then I'm sorry you doubt my commitment and feel that way.
Last edited by Burton on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote:

I'm not worried at all about the marketplace for new stadiums and ballparks when I get into the field. And correct me here if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that one of your professors was employed at the library grill in boston, in my case an architect from 360 and another that is a partner at the Foss Seligson Lafferty firm, or that you had chefs from your dreamjob restaurants critiquing your projects and work, or that your culinary program was located in the city and worked hand in hand with your industry's leading companies, offering you great "ins" for interning and post graduate job opportunities. So if you were being fecesious about where I'll be in 10 years, then I'm sorry you doubt my commitment and feel that way.
no, i do not doubt your commitment. i am telling you you have NO WAY of knowing where you will be working in 10 years. it is just that simple. one of my board professors, was, as a matter of fact, the general managing partner of joe's stone crab, one of americas busiest restaurants, and i thought i would be working for him because of my connections, however, it did not happen. perhaps you and kcdevin should pair up, you two both seem to know where you will be working without a degree of any kind. and both in architecture of some sort. and, yes, there in good ole kc, where i got my associates, at johnson county community college, all the chefs that run the program are former chefs from the community, and are well connected through the a.c.f., and find jobs for culinary grads all the time. i did not need one, i already had 4 years at the hyatt when i graduated, however, i think it is great that you think your school scenario is unique, BUT IT IS NOT.
Burton wrote: Toronto, Tampa Bay, New York (Mets not approved yet), Los Angeles, Miami (or wherever they move), all are MLB markets which could have new stadiums within the next 10 years.

tropicana is only 14 years old, and toronto, is 15 years old. man, you dt stadium supporters are really shortening the lifespan of stadiums, first, it was 34 years, now, it is going to be 25 based on that math.

as far as the minor league stadiums, yeah, that is a real lucrative design market.

and again, as far as working for a design firm that basically designs stadiums, which, there are a limited amount, and the best 2 are both in kc, hntb, and hok, are you even aware of how many young, aspiring college students have the same dream, right now, as you?? every time i do an adjunct position at pennsylvania culinary institute, or get paid to give a lecture at IUP to culinary students, i always think that, and every time some busload of culinary students come see gingerbread lane, i can always spot 2 or 3 young budding culinariains that are having conversations to the tune of " yeah, someday i am just going to be building gingerbread villages, and NOTHING else, oh, definitely".

again, all of this has jack crap to do with the fact that the royals, and chiefs, are not leaving the tsc. and, you will have nothing to do with the design, unless, you have a vote in jackson county.
Last edited by kcdcchef on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

The best thing David Glass can do for Kansas City:  sell the Royals, get the hell out of Kansas City and never come back.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Burton wrote: So why should the taxpayers pay 220 million dollars to David Glass for a stadium, when he has clearly shown no commitment to winning?
Exactly.  He talks like he's borderline retarded.  He's got no clue.  He was a country bumpkin who kissed Sam Walton's feet his whole life, and rode his coat-tails to wealth.  He was classic case of, right time right place.

His dress shirts don't even fit right around his neck.  He seriously looks like he just got off a tractor. 'Wuhlllll.....aye.....think we cannnn....ahhh....compete this ah-year and uh....."  God, what a complete loser.

His first venture away from Sam Walton?  100-loss seasons like crazy.  Historically bad!  Inept.  And cheap bastard wants 200M handouts, for putting in 25M (prior to rebates anyway)    Lock is right: this clown needs to get out of town for good.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: no, i do not doubt your commitment. i am telling you you have NO WAY of knowing where you will be working in 10 years. it is just that simple. one of my board professors, was, as a matter of fact, the general managing partner of joe's stone crab, one of americas busiest restaurants, and i thought i would be working for him because of my connections, however, it did not happen. perhaps you and kcdevin should pair up, you two both seem to know where you will be working without a degree of any kind. and both in architecture of some sort. and, yes, there in good ole kc, where i got my associates, at johnson county community college, all the chefs that run the program are former chefs from the community, and are well connected through the a.c.f., and find jobs for culinary grads all the time. i did not need one, i already had 4 years at the hyatt when i graduated, however, i think it is great that you think your school scenario is unique, BUT IT IS NOT.

tropicana is only 14 years old, and toronto, is 15 years old. man, you dt stadium supporters are really shortening the lifespan of stadiums, first, it was 34 years, now, it is going to be 25 based on that math.

as far as the minor league stadiums, yeah, that is a real lucrative design market.

and again, as far as working for a design firm that basically designs stadiums, which, there are a limited amount, and the best 2 are both in kc, hntb, and hok, are you even aware of how many young, aspiring college students have the same dream, right now, as you?? every time i do an adjunct position at pennsylvania culinary institute, or get paid to give a lecture at IUP to culinary students, i always think that, and every time some busload of culinary students come see gingerbread lane, i can always spot 2 or 3 young budding culinariains that are having conversations to the tune of " yeah, someday i am just going to be building gingerbread villages, and NOTHING else, oh, definitely".

again, all of this has jack crap to do with the fact that the royals, and chiefs, are not leaving the tsc. and, you will have nothing to do with the design, unless, you have a vote in jackson county.
Now you're just coming off like a bitter old man with a slight tinge of jealousy. Before you keep trying to post your facts on here, please do some research first. Tropicana stadium was completed in March of 1990, which would make it 16 years old not 14. And its a dull, dreary, concrete enveloped mistake, which draws dead last in attendance, and if you'll read the following from ballparks.com http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/tropic.htm
"The Devil Rays have not had much success at Tropicana Field, either on the field or at the box office. MLB has made it known to the team that they must be out of their current facility by 2010."
So YES, Tampa Bay will be in the market for a new stadium. As for Toronto, the Skydome opened in 1989, which would make it 17 years old, not 15 as you said. You've already posted about how it was built for 600 million, and recently sold for only 25 million, so I figured you'd already see that as a sign that it's no longer a profitable venue for the BlueJays. It's also a concrete donut design that you loathe and detest so much, and it's multipurpose function is not suitable for baseball games, like you've mentioned with Riverfront, ThreeRivers, Busch, Fulton County, Veterans, Jack Murphy, Kingdome, and the Astrodome. So YES, there's a good chance that Toronto will be in the market for a new stadium within the next 10 years.

As for minor league stadiums, Springfield just got a new one for 32 million, Charleston just got one for 23 million, Corpus Christi just got one for 27 million, I could go on and on because there are way more minor league towns than there are major league towns, so in essence the market for minor league stadiums is far more lucritive than major league markets.

HOK Sport Venue Event, HTNB, 360, Ellerbe Beckett, all design alot more structures than just ballparks. They won't go out of business if every MLB town and NFL town has a new stadium.

Chef, please come correct with your stats, because with blatantly wrong stats and facts, your opinions hold no weight. And getting schooled on your wrong facts by a college kid that apparently has no future isn't doing much for your credibility.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Don't let anyone piss on your dreams Burton. Good luck and keep up the hard work.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Burton wrote: Chef, please come correct with your stats, because with blatantly wrong stats and facts, your opinions hold no weight. And getting schooled on your wrong facts by a college kid that apparently has no future isn't doing much for your credibility.
Chef had credibility?  That is news to me.  He makes up statistics to defend his positions.  Maybe pulls numbers out of his ass is a better way to phrase it.  But he is good at it, and can write some lengthy posts with it fantasy land stats.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

lock&load wrote: Chef had credibility?  That is news to me.  He makes up statistics to defend his positions.  Maybe pulls numbers out of his ass is a better way to phrase it.  But he is good at it, and can write some lengthy posts with it fantasy land stats.
he can really COOK UP some half-baked numbers!!!!

(hearty chortle)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Quit bitching about Glass not spending the cash on players.  Incase nobody noticed, we took a good chunk of our 55million share and stopped the youth movement.  We added some big names...so dont bitch about not getting or trying to get players.  We were actively seeking players during the entire off season. 

And why not pay 220 million for this stadium deal, when its guarenteed that we will secure the royals through 2031 @ kauffman.  To me that makes a whole hell of a lot more sense than waiting 7 years and spending upwards of 500 million for a new stadium with no guarentee about the team, and that according to many people here, would fall apart within 20 years, because prefab concrete (the modern building material) is not up to the job of building stadiums for long term use
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

We signed some long names (Grudzielanek and Mientkiewicz) but I wouldn't call them big names.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

im2kull wrote: Quit bitching about Glass not spending the cash on players.  Incase nobody noticed, we took a good chunk of our 55million share and stopped the youth movement.  We added some big names...so dont bitch about not getting or trying to get players.  We were actively seeking players during the entire off season. 
Why are you so obsessed with locking in the worst team in baseball for 25 years?  Must be an underachiever.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

im2kull wrote: Quit bitching about Glass not spending the cash on players.  Incase nobody noticed, we took a good chunk of our 55million share and stopped the youth movement.  We added some big names...so dont bitch about not getting or trying to get players.  We were actively seeking players during the entire off season. 

And why not pay 220 million for this stadium deal, when its guarenteed that we will secure the royals through 2031 @ kauffman.  To me that makes a whole hell of a lot more sense than waiting 7 years and spending upwards of 500 million for a new stadium with no guarentee about the team, and that according to many people here, would fall apart within 20 years, because prefab concrete (the modern building material) is not up to the job of building stadiums for long term use

big names??? reggie sanders, doug mientkiewicz, and mark grudzelanic are big names?  :lol: I better go ahead and grab a spot on Grand for the 2006 World Series Parade now that we got those big names.
we're technically not "gauranteed" to have the royals either at a renovated kauffman, or if we got a downtown stadium. ever heard of contraction? don't think that the royals aren't near the top of MLB's list if it were to happen. unless we start drawing better than 17,000 a game, KC is going to stay near the top of that list.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Burton wrote: we're technically not "gauranteed" to have the royals either at a renovated kauffman, or if we got a downtown stadium. ever heard of contraction? don't think that the royals aren't near the top of MLB's list if it were to happen. unless we start drawing better than 17,000 a game, KC is going to stay near the top of that list.
They refuse to see this possibility.  Having signed leases is worthless when there is no team left to fulfil them.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Burton wrote: big names??? reggie sanders, doug mientkiewicz, and mark grudzelanic are big names?  :lol: I better go ahead and grab a spot on Grand for the 2006 World Series Parade now that we got those big names.
we're technically not "gauranteed" to have the royals either at a renovated kauffman, or if we got a downtown stadium. ever heard of contraction? don't think that the royals aren't near the top of MLB's list if it were to happen. unless we start drawing better than 17,000 a game, KC is going to stay near the top of that list.
Bigger names than BURTON, lockNload, and KCmax...

How come I dont see you guys doing the tryouts....if our teams so damn bad...might as well...
Yeah, I guess we shoulda sat on the youth movement then, since everyone is soo against bettering the team...you guys are deferring progress?

cheer squad are on saturday @ TSC, I'll make sure to take the pictures...oh, and just dress normal, im sure your already scary enough
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

im2kull wrote: Bigger names than BURTON, lockNload, and KCmax...

How come I dont see you guys doing the tryouts....if our teams so damn bad...might as well...
Yeah, I guess we shoulda sat on the youth movement then, since everyone is soo against bettering the team...you guys are deferring progress?

cheer squad are on saturday @ TSC, I'll make sure to take the pictures...oh, and just dress normal, im sure your already scary enough
I'm sorry that you have to result to personal attacks when you are proven wrong. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, or admitting you had your facts wrong, but acting like a child and calling people scary looking is lame, and does not lead to a productive debate.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Burton wrote: I'm sorry that you have to result to personal attacks when you are proven wrong. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, or admitting you had your facts wrong, but acting like a child and calling people scary looking is lame, and does not lead to a productive debate.
That seems to be the standard fallback for Mr. Kull, chef, et al.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Burton wrote: I'm sorry that you have to result to personal attacks when you are proven wrong. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, or admitting you had your facts wrong, but acting like a child and calling people scary looking is lame, and does not lead to a productive debate.
Well sorry,
But I belive its better than making hoax profiles and screennames to prove my point.  You need a major reality check.  You are the childish one...
THINK (ONE) KC.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Burton wrote: and what good does the rolling roof do for the royals? watch the animations. the whole outfield area is still open, meaning a climate controlled environment is out of the question, and rain can still get in. why do you think the domes in houston, seattle, milwaukee, and pheonix have giant glass panels that close with the roof above?

a retractable roof for arrowhead only, that i agree with, but the rolling roof thing seems a little stupid considering it wouldnt serve the royals much good.
Houston has a roof because of the heat.  They were able to have Sunday evening games in order to avoid the afternoon sun.  Seattle has rain around 180 to 200 days a year.  Milwaukee can be very cold early and late in the season.  Phoenix, see Houston for the heat.  To do glass panels for a stadium that was not designed for it would be more expensive than the proposed rolling roof.
But when the roof is not over the stadiums it will be over the area between them.  There are plans for this area to be an Event Plaza.  This could be a great asset to the city.
Although the Royals do not need the roof they will use it, if needed.  Yes, the rain can come in the sides but the infield will be more or less protected.  Enough that play can continue.

I figure that the DT stadium supporters are not supporting this roof is because it gives the TSC something that downtown cannot and will not have.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.