Livestrong Sporting Park

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Wizards could ditch Bannister site in favor of Wyandotte County

Post by justin8216 »

justin8216 wrote:
Didnt we used to be able to delete posts? This was an accidental post. I was editing but insteasd quouted myself.
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

dangerboy wrote: I'll bet 90% of the those 5,000 will live outside WyCo.  This will be a boon for the real estate market in Shawnee and Leavenworth County.
I don't see why it couldn't be a boon for the suburban KCK real estate market. It might not be that exciting to you or me, but living near the Legends and surrounding retail and restaurants might be appealing to many. I don't see any reason the Piper schools couldn't become a full-fledged suburban district. As far as I know, Bonner Springs could do the same. What am I missing?
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Stockton wrote: I don't see why it couldn't be a boon for the suburban KCK real estate market. It might not be that exciting to you or me, but living near the Legends and surrounding retail and restaurants might be appealing to many. I don't see any reason the Piper schools couldn't become a full-fledged suburban district. As far as I know, Bonner Springs could do the same. What am I missing?
This doesn't solve all of WYCO's problems, but it is definitely a step in the right direction for them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

justin8216 wrote: I also believe the Village West location going to be a boon to The Wizards Franchise. KC KS has a huge hispanic population. The wizards have really failed up to this point to gain a following with the metro area's Hispanic demographic. I think being in KC KS is going to really change that greatly benefiting the viability of the team.
I do agree with this.  Not necessarily  the Hispanic thing since I think 95% of the fans will always be suburban white people though, but because of the location, it will be that much more of a draw for "suburban white families".

I don't mean that in a bad way either.  It will a great form of entertainment in an area that is exactly what that demographic wants.

Should be good for the team, especially if they do well.  The Royals and Chiefs really suck and having a new stadium in town will draw well.  I think the hockey team in Indy is doing quite well for some of the same reasons, correct me if I'm wrong there.
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

Stockton wrote: I don't see why it couldn't be a boon for the suburban KCK real estate market. It might not be that exciting to you or me, but living near the Legends and surrounding retail and restaurants might be appealing to many. I don't see any reason the Piper schools couldn't become a full-fledged suburban district. As far as I know, Bonner Springs could do the same. What am I missing?
Piper will probably get de facto growth.  However, perception is still not that positive for Piper and its vision (or its community's) in regard to the school system there.  Bonner, for young parents who are concerned about education, should do pretty good if growth does follow in the area.

Sam S.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I predict that a soccer team, and the stadium, will fail to draw the fans expected, and that in time, it will not contribute much to the Wyco economy.
There is no fifth destination.
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

FangKC wrote: I predict that a soccer team, and the stadium, will fail to draw the fans expected, and that in time, it will not contribute much to the Wyco economy.
Safe prediction, if anyone believes soccer will draw very many, they haven't been paying attention to KC's soccer scene.  Being part of the development puzzle, with Cerner, however, is a good gain for WyCo.

Sam S.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

BigSam wrote: Piper will probably get de facto growth.  However, perception is still not that positive for Piper and its vision (or its community's) in regard to the school system there.  Bonner, for young parents who are concerned about education, should do pretty good if growth does follow in the area.

Sam S.
Are you talking about the plagiarism incident?  That was a stain on the district's reputation, but it was ten years ago.  I'm not sure how much that is going to affect things today.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

BigSam wrote: Safe prediction, if anyone believes soccer will draw very many, they haven't been paying attention to KC's soccer scene.  Being part of the development puzzle, with Cerner, however, is a good gain for WyCo.

Sam S.
Define "very many".

I don't see any reason why the Wizards won't average 14-15,000. A good team that winning and it could be higher. This will be a topnotch venue where all of the seats will provide a good view of the action, not like CAB where a high percentage of the seats provide a poor view yet the stadium constantly sells out.

I guess I'm a bit more optimistic than you are.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

FangKC wrote: I predict that a soccer team, and the stadium, will fail to draw the fans expected, and that in time, it will not contribute much to the Wyco economy.
Very safe. What about other uses for the stadium?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

NDTeve wrote: Very safe. What about other uses for the stadium?
Concerts, HS Football, Small College Football, NCAA College Cup, International Soccer Matches.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

phxcat wrote: Are you talking about the plagiarism incident?  That was a stain on the district's reputation, but it was ten years ago.  I'm not sure how much that is going to affect things today.
The fact that You (& I, along with others) still remember it just goes to show how large, and how lasting of an effect that has had on the Piper SD.  DT hasn't had a rape/homicide in some time, yet you don't see that changing most NIMBYs views of DT & the PnL district as being a "Bad".."Unsafe" place.

Bannister's been demolished, yet the "Bannister" area is still a "Ghetto".

Time doesn't change much when it comes to popular opinion...IMO.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Harlem neighborhood in upper Manhattan was considered a black ghetto for decades. The neighborhood had the stigma of being a haven for crime and the poor.  Now, blacks are no longer the majority population there.  Affluent and middle class people are returning to Harlem and real estate values are skyrocketing.

Things change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/nyreg ... arlem.html

http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/de ... 827/5/2620
There is no fifth destination.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Guess Bill Clinton was on to something when he moved his post-presidency offices there.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kansas nears deal on Cerner, Wizards; state subsidy would start immediately
  Facing a $400 million budget shortfall, Kansas is preparing to provide $48.5 million in immediate subsidies so the Wizards and Cerner can begin work on the new soccer complex in Wyandotte Co.

The Unified Government is expected to consider and approve the deal tomorrow.  It was first announced last October.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

http://www.kansascity.com/746/story/1692798.html

Yet another kick in the face for KC, MO.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

jdubwaldo wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/746/story/1692798.html

The continued sprawl and decay and corporate welfare going on in KC is simply not sustainable.  Soccer stadium in KCK?  Sure, whatever, if it's funded correctly.  One of metro KC's only growing companies that has a chance to really do something special by building infill, redeveloping, going into downtown etc building on farmland in west WyCo in a development that is 50% subsidized by tax dollars?

It's absolutely ludicrous and if this were happening in KCMO, residents would vote out everybody in city hall and the suburban residents would point and say "look at stupid KCMO", but since it's happening in Kansas, it just means that KCK is doing things better than KCMO.

I feel bad for KC.  The metro area just can't seem to get its act together.

It's embarrassing, it's sad, it's unproductive and it continues the inevitable self destruction of the entire KC area's potential of becoming a great metro region once again.

So keep building up rural areas and let 80% of the region rot.  Keep growing at the expense of existing parts of KC (which does more long term damage than good), keep the suburban freeloading and city hating going strong, local companies keep ignoring downtown or really KCMO in general and most metro area residents, keep having almost no civic passion what so ever. 

Keep it up KC and in 2030, you can look at OKC and Omaha and wonder what the fuck happened.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

jdubwaldo wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/746/story/1692798.html

Quite the opposite.  This frees us from a bad stadium deal that would have drained resources from the city treasury and catered to visitors instead of improving the quality of life for people who actually live in south Kansas City.  Now there is an opportunity to create what we should have been planning for all along - a real mixed-use neighborhood that provides new options for housing, local retail, and employment.
rokhok
Pad site
Pad site

Post by rokhok »

So full of fail...

Please explain how this is going to turn KC into Omaha or OKC?  Because those two cities are really screwed over by their sprawling suburbs????!!!

And I love how you talk about KC becoming a great metro region yet get pissed if any incentive or any development isnt in KCMO. 

I would love to understand how this is building on farmland...  I haven't seen much corn being planted on 10 acres across from NFM... and the Cerner buildings are going to be set up in a wooded area that adjoins 435.  Maybe your arguement about greenfield made sense before anything was built at VW but it seems hollow now that they are infilling inside the existing development...

You are being intellectually dishonest to cover a bias....

GRID wrote: The continued sprawl and decay and corporate welfare going on in KC is simply not sustainable.  Soccer stadium in KCK?  Sure, whatever, if it's funded correctly.  One of metro KC's only growing companies that has a chance to really do something special by building infill, redeveloping, going into downtown etc building on farmland in west WyCo in a development that is 50% subsidized by tax dollars?

It's absolutely ludicrous and if this were happening in KCMO, residents would vote out everybody in city hall and the suburban residents would point and say "look at stupid KCMO", but since it's happening in Kansas, it just means that KCK is doing things better than KCMO.

I feel bad for KC.  The metro area just can't seem to get its act together.

It's embarrassing, it's sad, it's unproductive and it continues the inevitable self destruction of the entire KC area's potential of becoming a great metro region once again.

So keep building up rural areas and let 80% of the region rot.  Keep growing at the expense of existing parts of KC (which does more long term damage than good), keep the suburban freeloading and city hating going strong, local companies keep ignoring downtown or really KCMO in general and most metro area residents, keep having almost no civic passion what so ever. 

Keep it up KC and in 2030, you can look at OKC and Omaha and wonder what the fuck happened.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This by itself?  No big deal.  This plus everything else that's gone on over the past few decades and continues to go on?  Big deal.  It all adds up and if you don't see it, then you are part of the problem.

BTW, I'm sure the 10,000 people that live within five miles of 435 and State are happy.  But there are about 250,000 people that live within five miles of 435 and 87th that are probably a bit disappointed.