Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by GRID »

Seems like they would want to be on the KS side.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If they left KCK, what in the world would happen to their existing building?  No private firm seems to have any interest in central KCK.  It would be a waste to see one of the only modern office structures in KCK sit and rot away.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

GRID wrote: Seems like they would want to be on the KS side.
Not necessarily.  The article references K-State, but the bio-sciences corridor runs from Manhattan to Columbia.  For them, the more important criteria is probably the airport.  I can imagine the next most important criteria is proximity to I-70. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

GRID wrote: If they left KCK, what in the world would happen to their existing building?  No private firm seems to have any interest in central KCK.  It would be a waste to see one of the only modern office structures in KCK sit and rot away.
The management company that owns the building is trying to play hardball, and the decision is just the most moronic thing I have ever heard of.  It's not like there is a clamorous throng wanting Class A office space in DT KCK.  EPA is also going to have to deal with the fact that their nearly new, LEED-certified lab building is still in DT KCK and the warehouse and storage operations are north of the River.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

EPA moving to Sprint campus is about the most retarded idea ever. This is the EPA we're talking about, moving from a transit-accessible urban location central to the entire metro, to a virtually transitless former cornfield in the southwestern corner of the metro, 30+ miles from employees living in places like Liberty. Absolutely ridiculous, bordering on offensive.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: Let the bidding war commence!

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... b-for.html
An update
The arrival of the Abaxis Veterinary Reference Laboratory would add yet another piece to the so-called Animal Health Corridor stretching from the University of Missouri in Columbia to Kansas State University in Manhattan.

Abaxis said the lab would ultimately generate 150 jobs, but a K-State press release projected 50 to 100 jobs. Although the lab expects to land near the airport, the company said it will set up shop on the Kansas side of the state line. Abaxis hopes to open the Kansas City area lab in six to eight months.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/27/26 ... z1CJIYk2a3
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MIQ Logistics moves HQ to Sprint Nextel campus

Less space for Sprint Campus to go after Missouri biz.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: MIQ Logistics moves HQ to Sprint Nextel campus

Less space for Sprint Campus to go after Missouri biz.
How much space at the Sprint Campus does Sprint actually use?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Like THIS state if kansas.

Touton
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Like THIS state if kansas.

Touton usa moving 20 employees from Indiana.

Nothing huge but its job creation, not simply jumping the state line.

Http://Economy.kcstar.com/q=node/9873

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Average Salary is 68k, housing development continues to be pushing up north unless most of these new employees buy a house in Briarcliff or Shoal Creek.  I wonder if KC will expand it's borders even further outward.

I think Missouri has a huge advantage over KS in landing new businesses from outside KS or MO and it's because the Airport is way up north.  The airport being so far away is one of the main reasons why the NCAA left for Indy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Off topic but that's bs if ncaa says that. Downtown kc to kci is 15 miles.....9 from downtown Indy to their airport.

Ncaa decided to move to opks, the airport already existed.

Ncaa left for the very reason they tell kids not to leave school.....money.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I think Missouri has a huge advantage over KS in landing new businesses from outside KS or MO and it's because the Airport is way up north.  The airport being so far away is one of the main reasons why the NCAA left for Indy.
The NCAA wanted to move to a more exciting and tourist appealing area (get out of Overland Park) and they could have done that in KC.  Before they moved, it was down to staying on College Bvd, a really attractice deal to move to Crown Center put together by KCMO and Downtown Indy.  This was before KCMO's downtown was rebuilt, so they basically wanted the sure deal and bolted for Indy.  It had nothing to do with the location of KCI which is 5 minutes further from Crown Center than the Indy Airport is from Downtown Indy.  Had the arena, P&L District, College Basketball Experience etc all been complete, they probably would have stayed, but then again, Indianapolis pulled a Kansas and offered everything to the NCAA for them to move.  They wanted the NCAA at any cost.

KCI's location had absolutely nothing to do with it.  

Not to mention that Indy's airport has less flights than KCI, but at they do have a very nice, modern terminal unlike KCI   :mrgreen: (people here know I hate KCI's terminal).
Last edited by GRID on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I was just reading what the wiki page said

"The NCAA was dissatisfied with its Johnson County, Kansas suburban location noting that its location on the south edges of the Kansas City suburbs was more than 40 minutes from Kansas City International Airport. They also noted that the suburban location was not drawing visitors to its new visitors' center"

How is this off topic, the NCAA was a battle over KS and MO because they use to be in both spots, it might have been one of the first early battles
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's true.  Them complaining about their location is like me turning off my electricity and complaining because its dark. Good riddance.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

OP lands 17 person internet firm from PA that expects to hire 100 more over five years

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... a=e_du_pub
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I was just reading what the wiki page said

"The NCAA was dissatisfied with its Johnson County, Kansas suburban location noting that its location on the south edges of the Kansas City suburbs was more than 40 minutes from Kansas City International Airport. They also noted that the suburban location was not drawing visitors to its new visitors' center"
Here's the article that the Wiki page refers to: http://www.allbusiness.com/north-americ ... 342-1.html.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KC0KEK wrote: Here's the article that the Wiki page refers to: http://www.allbusiness.com/north-americ ... 342-1.html.
Dempsy, the then head of the NCAA (RIP  good riddance), was looking to move.  He knew Indianopolis was willing to give away millions to get them and he knew Indianopolis had the Eli Foundation backing their bid.  There was no way KC could match.  The NCAA, an institution that has a lot to say about the integrity of college athletics, obviously could not make such a move solely based on the money, that would have been incredibly hypocritical, so they went to lengths to cover their asses.  One of the more sorry episodes in NCAA history.  Frankly, I don't think the NCAA has benifited one iota from being in Indianopolis and I doubt if Indianapolis has seen that much of a benefit either.  They were already getting more than their fair share of final fours and that's where the money is.  I certainly think less of the NCAA since that time and I think it's time conferences start to govern their own affairs; at some point in time, hopefully, the organization just becomes passe. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

An interesting take on this issue.  Reminds me of the battle between the unions and the riverboat cruise operator abut 20 years ago.  The operator rented dock space from the city at the Main St and the river.  He had a dispute with the musicans union with the union going to the council to fight the lease.  End result the operator took the operation to KCK.  How will this one play out?

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/21/26 ... ssure.html
It’s happening right now as the Kansas City Council considers a project that would bring 25 jobs and a training center for construction workers to a site near the Truman Sports Complex.

The council should jump at this offer. Besides creating jobs, it would bring redevelopment to an empty building.

But local carpenter unions don’t want the Associated Builders and Contractors Heart of America training academy to move from Mission to Kansas City. That’s the political pressure.

The unions claim some people trained in the federally approved program would end up being non-union workers. And look: Some council members have received union campaign donations.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I wish that would have been on the front page of the Star last week.  During this election season that would have been a hot topic
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.