Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by rxlexi »

Thanks for the great story, Pumpkin. I assume there is little to nothing left of the original Plaza Theater.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I asked the manager what was left of the old theater when I was in Restoration Hardware once. He claimed that it was largely untouched. There was an elevated floor and a ton of stuff stored in it, but all the perimeter walls were intact. No idea if that's true.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

kboish wrote:
hartliss wrote:
kboish wrote:Here is a list of all of the current proposals or pending development surrounding the plaza. This excludes the currently under construction whole foods/UMKC apartments. All in all its over 800 units. Did I miss anything substantial?

47th and Madison/Roanoke Pkwy (The Triangle)
Units: 150+(?)
Height: 10+
Note: Proposed- Apt over retail
Any renderings or articles on this development? I see the sign everyday on the way to work but that is it...
There isn't any article on the development I am aware of. It was discussed at length during the plaza/midtown area plan hearings because the height for this site was lowered from what was previously allowed. As a matter of fact, I am now remembering that the lawyers were discussing the potential purchase of the property. Since this particular parcel was not grandfathered under the previous plan they may have not completed the purchase and the project I'm listing may be dead.

http://kansascity.granicus.com/MediaPla ... ip_id=9357

Skip to 1 hour 29 minutes to hear her and others talk about it at length.
Gonna have to give quite the tease on this project due to confidentiality but...here's a small rundown on it.

First off, no retail space is included in this project anymore. After revision, the developers did not see the site as conducive for retail space.

Second, I believe the height the developers are desiring is 15~16 stories...maybe 13...don't quote me on that though. However, the developers are wanting quite more than what the city allows under the new area plan. The city is trying to get the developers to follow the new height recommendations; and as far as my knowledge goes, they are still at an impasse...don't quote me on the last part of that statement either. IMO, I believe the height proposed by the developers fits contextually with the area. Does it obey the area plan? No. Does it fit contextually however? Yes, IMO. I believe the city wants it to be around 7~10 stories tops.

The proposed design (as of January) of the structure is quite nice IMO also. It would have a three or four story base, resembling limestone walk up row homes, an amenities deck on top and a modern tower rising out of it. If my memory serves correct, I believe it is going to be designed by the same architecture firm as One Light.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kboish wrote:Here is a list of all of the current proposals or pending development surrounding the plaza. This excludes the currently under construction whole foods/UMKC apartments. All in all its over 800 units. Did I miss anything substantial?

47th and Madison/Roanoke Pkwy (The Triangle)
Units: 150+(?)
Height: 10+
Note: Proposed- Apt over retail

48th and Summit (Old Nelle Peters Site)
Units: 175
Height: 6
Note: Proposed- Stated not to need incentives

46th and Jefferson
Office
Height: 12
Note: Proposed- I’ve heard this is looking to move forward…just a rumor though

46th and Broadway/Wornall
Units:132/ Hotel- 175
Height: 10
Note: Approved- no incentives

46th and JC Nichols
Units: 84
Height: 7 (Currently 4 w/ parking garage- proposed addition of 3 levels)
Note: Proposed senior living

44th and Washington Street- midblock
Units: 18
Height: 3
Note: Approved-no incentives

44th and Washington
Unit: 188
Height: 4
Note: Proposed- wrapped garage- no incentives

45th Ter and Broadway
Units 31
Height: ?
Note: Proposed- No incentives

46th and Walnut
Units: 98
Height: ?
Note: Commercial and Rez- Proposed

And for some reason I thought I remember seeing a proposal for both the corner of 44th and walnut and 43rd and Walnut for new apartments…but I can’t find where I saw that.
A few of these are on the PZE agenda today. It doesn't mean they will necessarily be heard today though.

160600 -Rezoning a tract of land approximately 0.59 acres generally located at 4620 J.C. Nichols Parkway from District B1-1 to District B1-5. (13073-P-2)

160601- Rezoning a 1.32 acre tract of land generally located at the northwest corner of Walnut Street and E. 46th Street from Districts R-0.5 and R-5 to District R-0.5, and approving a development plan to allow for a multi-unit building with 131 units. (7411-P-3 and 7411-P-4)

160599 RESOLUTION - Amending the Midtown / Plaza Area Plan for an approximate 2.5 acre tract of land generally located at the southwest corner of 44th Street and Washington Street by changing the Recommended Land Use Map from residential low, residential medium and residential high all to residential urban land use. (727-S-4)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

that's a dramatic density increase.

it would move the height limit up 200 feet. that's adding 10-15 floors in allowed height
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

JLowe2018 wrote:
Gonna have to give quite the tease on this project due to confidentiality but...here's a small rundown on it.

First off, no retail space is included in this project anymore. After revision, the developers did not see the site as conducive for retail space.

Second, I believe the height the developers are desiring is 15~16 stories...maybe 13...don't quote me on that though. However, the developers are wanting quite more than what the city allows under the new area plan. The city is trying to get the developers to follow the new height recommendations; and as far as my knowledge goes, they are still at an impasse...don't quote me on the last part of that statement either. IMO, I believe the height proposed by the developers fits contextually with the area. Does it obey the area plan? No. Does it fit contextually however? Yes, IMO. I believe the city wants it to be around 7~10 stories tops.

The proposed design (as of January) of the structure is quite nice IMO also. It would have a three or four story base, resembling limestone walk up row homes, an amenities deck on top and a modern tower rising out of it. If my memory serves correct, I believe it is going to be designed by the same architecture firm as One Light.
Good stuff, thanks. It sounds like some of the height consideration, master plan stuff may be heard today (8/17). This according to Quinton Lucas's twitter feed.

I hope something gets built on this trac of land, it has been a grass lot forever. Still not sure how I feel about the density restrictions, etc. I understand residents concerns but it is a "city" that we live in, right? It would be one thing if this was London or NYC we were talking about but we act like these "dense" developments will destroy the vibe...which I am not convinced. If every single lot had something built on it and developers wanted to tear down and build even higher, then sure let's keep that in check but back to my original point....this is a "city" and for a "city" to remain viable dense developments may happen from time to time. If you are opposed to density, there are plenty of suburbs or neighborhoods outside of the plaza that should fit your bill.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Some of the height restrictions cases were heard today - SW corner of 46th/Washington and the building north of Chuy's (adding 3 additional floors) were rejected as not meeting Midtown/Plaza Area Plan guidelines. But 46th/Walnut was approved.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... r-two.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

As found on another site. Not my opinion but just wanted to share.
" I'm glad 2 of them were defeated. Someone is looking out for the Plaza. Both projects were too big for the locations."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Channel 9 News is reporting that water has almost reached the bottom of the bridges crossing Brush Creek, and it hasn't stopped raining yet.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Looks like the Intercontinental Hotel is seeking a blight designation so it can set up a tax district to collect a sales tax to fund improvements and repairs to the property. City staff approves it.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Some of the wallpaper is very dated. And the bathrooms could certainly use a makeover. The scratched granite counters harbor bacteria and are a public health hazard.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I couldn't help but notice severe tire tracks in the parking garage as well. That could easily lead to confusion about where to drive and which way and probably lots of people dying. And some of the glass is not always free of smudges and fingerprints. While, yes, that helps birds avoid crashing into it, cleaning the fingerprints off could result in broken windows, which usually causes crack and gangs.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I've never heard of a bright designation. Is this like a LEED level where the building is bright for everyone to see? it does seem like they have a lot of lights on the pictures that I see. Good luck to the hotel. Kansas City's first Bright designated building! Yeah!
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Midtownkid wrote:The Restoration Hardware on the Plaza closed. Too bad, it was a nice looking store.

I wonder what will happen to the space? I hope something great that uses the intact architectural details and maybe even makes use of the movie theater portion. Really hope they don't gut it
This is truly sad and unbelievable to see the Plaza deteriorate from a premier shopping destination to a complete pile of shit. Just incredible.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

lol, how is this turning the plaza to shit?! Retailers come and go. In this case they are building their own store out south. Retail is always changing yet people pine for the old days of whatever place they used to shop. Amazon is turning retail upside down and high end retailers are struggling to compete.

I'm sure something cool will go in it's space.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

MidtownCat wrote:
Midtownkid wrote:The Restoration Hardware on the Plaza closed. Too bad, it was a nice looking store.

I wonder what will happen to the space? I hope something great that uses the intact architectural details and maybe even makes use of the movie theater portion. Really hope they don't gut it
This is truly sad and unbelievable to see the Plaza deteriorate from a premier shopping destination to a complete pile of shit. Just incredible.
depending on your perspective the Plaza may have always been a pile of shit. It depends on your opinion of JC Nichols I suppose.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

BTW, has anyone seen the new Restoration Hardware "RH" on 119th? Talk about a pile of shit! One of the worst buildings I've ever seen.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

The entire East side of the Plaza is a freaking ghost town. And for the, "I'm sure something cool will go in there crowd" how has the new tenant search for Halls gone thus far? That prime real estate has now sat vacant for what two years now?

It's sad to see what THE premier shopping and dining district in the city has become. A shell of its former self.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

MidtownCat wrote:The entire East side of the Plaza is a freaking ghost town. And for the, "I'm sure something cool will go in there crowd" how has the new tenant search for Halls gone thus far? That prime real estate has now sat vacant for what two years now?

It's sad to see what THE premier shopping and dining district in the city has become. A shell of its former self.
Make the Plaza Great Again