900 Baltimore Ave.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 900 Baltimore Ave.

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote: I would really like to hear from some Raggers who know more about what we should be doing than myself. Where is Critical_Mass?
Rick Powell is the developer of the adjoining Union Carbide condo development.

Don't know how responsive he will be to public appeal, as he's pretty cantakerous.

Following is the condo website and there is a "contact us" connection.  It likely goes to the realtor, but I'm sure they will forward to their owner.

http://www.unioncarbidecondos.com/
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Rick Powell needs more surface parking for the Union Carbide project.  That's my assumption.  You should read through the TIF plan that he is using to develop the site.  It calls for saving the building, but the building is adjacent to a planned surface lot - I could see that helping him market his office space in the redevelopment.  Since the project is using TIF funds is there a way to halt what he is doing?  Or at least bring it under public scrutiny?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

Rick Powell is an idiot. The footprint of that building is not large enough to accommodate enough parking
for the Union Carbide. Wasteful and outdated thinking!!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Anyone think we could raise half a mil on kickstarter?  :?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

mean wrote: Anyone think we could raise half a mil on kickstarter?  :?
You never know. What is our angle? Some sort of commune ownership?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: You never know. What is our angle? Some sort of commune ownership?
KCRag Forum International Headquarters.  We might need to negotiate some extra parking though. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines/project

I think saving / renovating a building could apply. Just have to keep the thing standing long enough to generate a huge sum of cash. Heh. Seems a long shot.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines/project

I think saving / renovating a building could apply. Just have to keep the thing standing long enough to generate a huge sum of cash. Heh. Seems a long shot.
Without a doubt, a longshot.

I emailed the kickstarter people to see if this is something for which we could use their service. We'll see. I know I'm probably lost in a pipe dream, but I don't see that it would be that hard to get donors to contribute to a meaningful cause such as this. We'll see.  :shock:
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

someone on the "save cosby" facebook page said Powell wanted 150k, the page had 285 members, do the math, I'd kick in $550 bucks to save the place.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Hell, if it's only $150k... yeah, I'd put in a few hundred. Shit, I bet this board alone could come up with at least a big down payment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That guy has no desire in selling that land no matter the cost.  If he did, he wouldn't set a timeline of ONE WEEK.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No doubt, it's on the tax rolls at 300k.  But if this scenario was published and offered you might get the public backlash needed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: That guy has no desire in selling that land no matter the cost.  If he did, he wouldn't set a timeline of ONE WEEK.
Obviously that's correct. But, maybe you show your ability to raise the money, get the Star interested. Talk to City Council (in person). You could create some public pressure (much like we did in July) to get this shit stopped.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Shame is the only thing that's going to work, and if it doesn't he should pay a social price.  Picket Union Carbide.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The good news is that we appear to not be alone in our desire to save the Cosby.

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2010/08/ ... uncil.html

How can we help him? Besides by voting for him.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Kickstarter said no. Next idea?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From the comments:
It appears that Mr. Crawford didn't do any basic research. If he had, he would have known that this property is already in a TIF (as pointed out by the previous poster) and within the Central Business District Urban Renewal Area. Both the TIF Commission and the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA) have the power of eminent domain, but the TIF Commission may have greater potential clout since it is a TIF Redevelopment Project Area. The real question is whether there is a Redevelopment Contract between the current owner/developer and the TIF Commission? If so, the TIF Commission would have more legal standing to seek an injunction to prevent the demolition and then start the eminent domain process. If not, the TIF Commission may not be in a good position. The LCRA doesn't seem like a viable option since it hasn't received a redevelopment proposal and, therefore, would have no grounds to seek and injunction or to start eminent domain proceedings.
True?

Isn't one of our fellow posters on the TIF Commission? ;)
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Stretch, help us in our time of need!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/8182

One week voluntary reprieve. 
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So, he does want just 150k, but the buyer has to have the funds to develop it?  No one can just maintain/preserve it?