Could the P+L be a flop?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Could the P+L be a flop?

Post by ComandanteCero »

classy....

but don't let the dudes with baggy pants in... we want to keep this area "nice".
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

LOL. I sort of feel bad for the fellow... but if you are going to drink like a horse.  Be prepared for the consequences.  Maybe he'll make some royalties from his photo op.  :p  Oh, and outside the DB, you're right... even I've seen worse.  Ha.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

People on this board are constantly debating whether P&L will take business from the Plaza and/or Westport. 

Well, a couple of months have passed, and I think we're starting to see a clearer picture. 

For the past two weekends, I've gone out on the Plaza (Fooleries, Kona, O'dowds) and P&L (Everywhere).  P&L was packed.  Plaza was dead.  It was kind of surreal.  I've lived on the plaza for close to two years, and I can't remember O'Dowds ever being so dead on a Friday night.  I was there on Friday (4/4) and the weather was pretty nice.  Mid 50's.  It was so dead, the rooftop patio was closed... on a Friday night!  I mean, there couldn't have been more than 100 people in the entire bar.  The same was true at the other traditional Plaza hotspots as well, though not to the same extent. 

Obviously, the "newness" of P&L has a lot to do with this.  In a few months, as the newness wears off,  things will start to even out a little bit.  But, ultimately, I don't think Plaza or WP will ever recapture the market share that P&L just obtained.  I was certain this would happen to WP.  I had no idea it would happen to the Plaza.  Nor did I imagine it could be so noticeable.   
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

nm
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

and the plaza has free parking!

we went to a movie saturday night and the cinemark was completely dead. first time i've EVER seen it that slow on a weekend. i guess the game had a lot to do with it, but jeez!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

They had their run. There's a new kid in town.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I live between Plaza/Westport and haven't seen an impact really for either.  Spring hasn't really kicked in yet.  I do expect some impact though.

But I've noticed Martini Corner is still kickin on weekends.  I was there 2 out of last 3 weekends and it was jammin.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I posted a follow-up question to this in the "Midtown" board in case some of the members more apt to read those posts might have some good input.  KC-wildcat, I'm not trying to hijack your question or anything, I just wanted to see if anyone there had input.    :cheers:
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

DaveKCMO wrote: and the plaza has free parking!

we went to a movie saturday night and the cinemark was completely dead. first time i've EVER seen it that slow on a weekend. i guess the game had a lot to do with it, but jeez!
It's also a slow weekend at the box off. Biggest time for the box office is from May-Early August and Thanksgiving-New Years.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote: and the plaza has free parking!

I wonder how the Midland will impact Cinemark on the Plaza and the Tivoli. Is the Midland showing mainstream movies or is it an art house theater?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCMax wrote: I wonder how the Midland will impact Cinemark on the Plaza and the Tivoli. Is the Midland showing mainstream movies or is it an art house theater?
Could be wrong but think because its AMC...it will show mainstream movies.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

NDTeve wrote: Could be wrong but think because its AMC...it will show mainstream movies.
Actually, according to the website Cinema Treasures (reliability unknown):
The Mainstreet will cater to urban adults, and feature documentaries, independent, and foreign films.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

The Midland won't be showing movies... if I understand correctly, The AMC Main Street Theater (Empire) will be showing movies.  One of my good friends works on the business side of things at AMC and he said that the P&L location will be doing a mix of indie flicks, limited releases and some mainstream movies.

The Midland is managed by AEG and will be used primarily as a music/entertainment venue.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Thanks for the clarification. So I'm guessing that will hurt the Tivoli.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Thanks for the clarification. So I'm guessing that will hurt the Tivoli.
not hard to do. that place is a dump.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I just can't imagine the Midland will show nothing but low budget documentaries and independent films.  Right in the heart of a diverse entertainment district?  Seems like they'd want to market films of widespread appeal.  With the emergence of downtown dwellers, it seems kind of crazy that the two closest movie theatres are in the northland and on the plaza.  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: I just can't imagine the Midland will show nothing but low budget documentaries and independent films.  Right in the heart of a diverse entertainment district?  Seems like they'd want to market films of widespread appeal.  With the emergence of downtown dwellers, it seems kind of crazy that the two closest movie theatres are in the northland and on the plaza.  
When AMC made the initial announcement they indicated that part of why they wanted this theater near their headquarters was to test smaller films before they decide whether to buy it for wider distribution. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Cheffreygo wrote: The Midland won't be showing movies... if I understand correctly, The AMC Main Street Theater (Empire) will be showing movies.  One of my good friends works on the business side of things at AMC and he said that the P&L location will be doing a mix of indie flicks, limited releases and some mainstream movies.

The Midland is managed by AEG and will be used primarily as a music/entertainment venue.
Correct. Thanks Cheffrey..I was getting the two mixed up.
- Mark Twain
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

KCMax wrote: Thanks for the clarification. So I'm guessing that will hurt the Tivoli.
Zero-sum, eh?

Based on what other people have said, I would gather they'll be playing stuff that normally KC wouldn't get until a year after it shows in NY or LA.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

coreyo wrote: Zero-sum, eh?

Based on what other people have said, I would gather they'll be playing stuff that normally KC wouldn't get until a year after it shows in NY or LA.
Not necessarily, but the theater industry is declining, and the indie film market is a niche market, and is an especially small market in KC. I'd love it if both thrived, but I wouldn't count on it.