900 Baltimore Ave.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 900 Baltimore Ave.

Post by moderne »

Say a prayer and light a candle to Shirley Helzberg, patron saint of hopeless historical buildings.  If only she would come to the rescue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Help us Shirley Helzberg Kenobi, you're our only hope.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

You made me envision a tiny hologram Shirley Helzberg.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Send pleas for help to Shirley Helzberg at this site under "contact us."

I already have. Perhaps if enough of us do, and she sees how important this building is to people, she might step in as a white knight.

http://www.websterhousekc.com/
There is no fifth destination.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

It's great if she decides to help but is she really needed?  Pining after the same white knight over and over is defeatist.  As I mentioned, we're simply not talking about significant amounts of money here if the goal is simply to save this building.  There is a broad base of support to save it, and if you could find 20, 30, 100 people of merely above-average means to contribute a little money, it's a done deal. 

Complete renovation--OK, yes lots of money would be nice.  But it's OK to merely walk before we start running.  The building has stood there since the 1880's and isn't going anywhere, save for the current crisis that has been fabricated by Rick Powell.  (Complete demolition is going to cost him between 10-20 times the actual needed emergency stabilization cost--which doesn't make any sense unless a guy just really wants that new parking lot). 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I still feel exhausted from the first go around on this building. It seems the best course of action is the same one that got the demo stopped initially: email and call the city council and mayor. Email Kevin Collison kcollison@kcstar.com.

I'd like to see the building preserved, but at the very least demolition should not be allowed without a re-development plan in place. Otherwise it will be surface parking for eons.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

smh wrote: I still feel exhausted from the first go around on this building. It seems the best course of action is the same one that got the demo stopped initially: email and call the city council and mayor. Email Kevin Collison kcollison@kcstar.com.

I'd like to see the building preserved, but at the very least demolition should not be allowed without a re-development plan in place. Otherwise it will be surface parking for eons.
if he owns neighboring buildings, parking is his re-development plan.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Tear the thing down.  Citizens never even noticed it until this forestorm erupted. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

HalcyonKC wrote: So, what am I missing?
MONEY.  Or people with MONEY.
And I think it would be safe to say CASH MONEY.  Unless a bank or an union persion fund feels benevolent doubt that you could secure a 30 year loan on the property, or any loan for that matter given the state of the building.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: if he owns neighboring buildings, parking is his re-development plan.
Good point. I really wish such a "plan" would be disallowed by the city.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

Nobody ever says a new surface lot is their plan downtown.  They always pretend that they have a plan to build something new.  Of course the first step is to demolish the old.  Then, conveniently, the "plan" falls through right after the demolition.  And poof, we have a new parking lot--the true plan all along.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So honestly, is there anything that can be done?  This guy had no intention of racing this building and ill make sure to tell anybody that asks to avoid any of his developments.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: So honestly, is there anything that can be done?  This guy had no intention of racing this building and ill make sure to tell anybody that asks to avoid any of his developments.
Email Kevin Collison kcollison@kcstar.com

Email 2nd District Councilmember Russ Johnson's assistant Traci Gleason • traci_gleason@kcmo.org
Email 2nd District At-Large Councilmember Ed Ford's assistant Lisa Minardi • lisa_minardi@kcmo.org

Email the rest of the council and mayor.

REMEMBER: It isn't too late until the building is gone. If we learned anything from the beginning of July it is that public pressure can prevent/slow demolition. We have to speak up! Otherwise, yet another slice of the little remaining historic downtown will disappear forever. This is worth our time.

Here is the contact information for those of you who want to email City officials:

Mayor Mark Funkhouser
City Hall, 29th floor • 414 E. 12th St. • Kansas City, MO 64106 •
Phone: (816) 513-3500
Fax: (816) 513-3518
E-mail: mayor@kcmo.org

Council Members

City Hall, 22nd floor • 414 E. 12th St. • Kansas City, MO 64106

1st District Councilwoman Deb Hermann

Phone: (816) 513-1624
(816) 513-1612
Assistant: Terri Wolfe • terri_wolfe@kcmo.org

1st District Councilman Bill Skaggs

Phone: (816) 513-1619
Fax: (816) 513-1612
Assistant: Jackie Burton • jackie_burton@kcmo.org

2nd District Councilman Ed Ford

Phone: (816) 513-1601
Assistant: Lisa Minardi • lisa_minardi@kcmo.org

2nd District Councilman Russ Johnson

Phone: (816) 513-1622
Assistant: Traci Gleason • traci_gleason@kcmo.org

3rd District Councilwoman Melba Curls

Phone: (816) 513-1605
Assistant: Reva Simmons • melba_curls@kcmo.org

3rd District Councilwoman Sharon Sanders Brooks

Phone: (816) 513-1608
Assistant: Kimberly Randolph • kimberly_randolph@kcmo.org

4th District Councilwoman Beth Gottstein

Phone: (816) 513-1616
Assistant: Jim Giles • jim_giles@kcmo.org

4th District Councilwoman Jan Marcason

Phone: (816) 513-1617
Assistant: Susan Borge • susan_borge@kcmo.org

5th District Councilwoman Cindy Circo

Phone: (816) 513-1633
Assistant: Gina Boucher • gina_boucher@kcmo.org

5th District Councilman Terry Riley

Phone: (816) 513-1629
Assistant: Schylon Clayton • schylon_clayton@kcmo.org

6th District Councilwoman Cathy Jolly

Phone: (816) 513-1602
Assistant: Lisa Sturgeon • lisa_sturgeon@kcmo.org

6th District Councilman John A. Sharp

Phone: (816) 513-1615
Assistant: Araceli Gallegos • araceli_gallegos@kcmo.org
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Here is a sample email I sent. Feel free to copy the parts you like.

"Dear [councilmember]:

I'm writing you once again in hopes that through some means you may be able to prevent the needless demolition of one of a handful of remaining 19th Century structures in our beautiful downtown.

Recently, The Kansas City Star featured an article discussing the "failed" "attempts" to make 900 Baltimore structurally sound or for the property to be sold.  It is my understanding that the building is slated for demolition that could occur any time this week. You will note: there is no plan in place for what will replace this beautiful and historic structure. Unfortunately, based on the developer's past statements it is clear that this historic structure is to become yet ANOTHER surface parking lot. Our city is rife with surface parking that has destroyed the fabric of downtown and contributes to blight and crime as it reduces the density of development and population on an increasing number of blocks.

I hope that you might devote some of your energy as our Council representative to prevent and draw attention to this sad likelihood as it appears we may lose yet another piece of our urban fabric for nothing more than a plot of asphalt and painted stripes. Surely you can appreciate the gravity of this situation for a city such as Kansas City that has invested so much recently in its downtown to take such an archaic step as demolishing a building that requires only $7,000 in investment to become sound and marketable. This is a situation in which the City must intervene, much as it did at the beginning of July.

Thank you very much for your time. Please do not hesitate to contact me. If there is anything I can do to help prevent this from taking place I will be more than happy to volunteer my efforts. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,"
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How about a good ol' fashion picket protest at his building?
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

Thanks, SMH. I'm writing a second letter to council and mayor right now.
a protest would be cool! i would personally like to spit in rick powell's face.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

We really need everyone to write to the city council, the mayor, Historic Kansas City Foundation, the Star, the networks, whomever.

I walked by the building this morning and a couple of guys are in there working. Looks like they might be trying to get some of the remaining furniture and fixtures out.

I would really like to hear from some Raggers who know more about what we should be doing than myself. Where is Critical_Mass?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

To continue the drumbeat:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/30/21 ... forts.html

It is important to continue building momentum.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think I'm firing off a dual email to cover downtown and the plaza in one email.

Really need guidance from the historic foundation on 900 Baltimore.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: I think I'm firing off a dual email to cover downtown and the plaza in one email.

Really need guidance from the historic foundation on 900 Baltimore.
I emailed their general email address yesterday because I couldn't find Scott Lane's, but I haven't heard anything back.