Big 12 Football 2009

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Big 12 Football 2009

Post by KCPowercat »

You can't even humor me? :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: You can't even humor me? :)
I think they could pull out a few games, but I have a hard time seeing who they're going to beat. Colorado and Iowa State are obviously their two best bets, but Iowa State is on the road, and Colorado has an experienced QB. It will be a tough season for K-State, but they're looking towards the future - 2009 is going to be a lost year for them.

I'll also add the caveat, that I am pretty much scanning rosters and schedules and know little about each individual team, so take my predictions with less than a grain of salt. ;)
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's why I wanted to wait on my prediction for one week.

Btw, ksu/isu is in Arrowhead. 

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: That's why I wanted to wait on my prediction for one week.

Btw, ksu/isu is in Arrowhead. 
Forgot about that. That may change my prediction. That should be an epic battle!

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Farmageddon

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Btw, ksu/isu is in Arrowhead. 
And ISU is allegedly on track for the title of least talented team in B12 history.  They opened up in ESPN's preseason "Bottom 10" rankings.  I would seriously wait and see if they pull out the win against the DII opponent on Thrusday before picking them to win any conference games. 

I would put KSU at 1-2 wins in conference depending on what CU turns out to be (a bit of a wild card I think).  I have heard conversation that the road game at Louisiana Laffeyette should be feared as a trap but I don't know much about them. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

www.collegecolorsday.com

GRID's head will explode in 3....2.....1....

phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Prediction time is going to be pretty tough for the north this year.  Seriously, K-State with 5 wins last year (and one bad coach away from a win at Boulder and a bowl birth)  should be in the same neighborhood this year, based mainly on the fact that probably the worst coaching staff in DI (should I even specify A or AA?) is being replaced by one of the better coaching staffs.  With ISU at Arrowhead, Colorado, A&M, KU and MU at home, 5-7 to 7-5 is likely, though 7-5 is needed for bowl eligibility.  In non-con, Lousiana is not really a threat, as they lost most of what made them tick last year.  UCLA will tell a lot.  They were not good last year, and it seems like they have lost a lot (more than we have) on the lines due to injury.  Its hard to predict a win, but its possible.  However, there are just too many question marks.  If Gregory or Coffman can step up and give us decent QB play, with Thomas at RB and a FB game in a conference that is gearing up to stop the spread, and good receivers, we should be able to put up some points if the line holds up.  On defense, the new coaches should be able to take a defense that, again, won 5 games as almost the worst defense in the country, and even without an upgrade in personnel, turn them into a mearley bad defense.  This in itself should make some games winnable.  the question mark here is the D-Line, which, if healthy, should be one of the better starting units in the conference, but is currently not healthy.

KU has some of the better skill position players in the North, but could be dealing with some major o-line issues, and the defense is likely not to be great, and could face some problems with teams that are more likely to run, such as at Colorado and at K-State.  They could potentially finish anywhere from 4-8 (not likely, would require losses at UTEP which has no defense and against Southern Miss which is possible, but they get them at home) to 9-3 if they clean up the north and the non-con.  I would probably put them, most likely, at 7-5.  MU also replaced a lot of players, they have a lot of talent coming in, but until it hits the field has to be considered a question mark.  So, I'm with Powercat on this one, lets see how the first weekend goes, maybe the first two.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KCPowercat wrote: We doing a predicition thread?  Say after this weekend's games?
Do you mean a weekly prediction thread?  I'd probably be up for that, I've got a title to defend.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that too....I will see if they have a game on yahoo that fits our needs.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

phxcat wrote: KU has some of the better skill position players in the North, but could be dealing with some major o-line issues,
This coming from the team who just lost their only legit B12-caliber o-lineman for the season? 
phxcat wrote: Seriously, K-State with 5 wins last year (and one bad coach away from a win at Boulder and a bowl birth)  should be in the same neighborhood this year, based mainly on the fact that probably the worst coaching staff in DI (should I even specify A or AA?) is being replaced by one of the better coaching staffs. 
Yeah but that "bad" coach's biggest weakness turned out to be recruiting - this wildcat talent cupboard is bare as bare gets.  Can the old man play WR?  He may well be able to shape up the defense a little bit just based on better coaching, but I just don't see how they can possibly slow down these B12 offenses enough for their O to keep up.  I have a hard time picturing this team putting up much more than 21 points in conference games this season and holding most of these other offenses that low is a pretty tall order - even when you do have some defensive talent. 
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: This coming from the team who just lost their only legit B12-caliber o-lineman for the season? 
That's a bit extreme.  At this point, there is no reason to think that KU's line will be any better than K-State's, in fact, with the replacement of three interior linemen and using a converted freshman TE at left tackle, it is not unlikely that KU's will be worse. 
LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah but that "bad" coach's biggest weakness turned out to be recruiting - this wildcat talent cupboard is bare as bare gets.  Can the old man play WR?  He may well be able to shape up the defense a little bit just based on better coaching, but I just don't see how they can possibly slow down these B12 offenses enough for their O to keep up.  I have a hard time picturing this team putting up much more than 21 points in conference games this season and holding most of these other offenses that low is a pretty tall order - even when you do have some defensive talent. 
Recruiting was not his biggest weakness.  It definitely wasn't a strength, but until last year, when the bottom dropped out, (despite the odd things he was doing) it was about the same as KU's.  really, if everyone stays healthy, the first team won't be bad.  However, there isn't much depth if something happens, and they may wear down over the course of the year.  And, really, looking at what the defense did last year, they could probably improve just by laying down at the snap.  That way, at least there will be a chance of the ball carrier catching his foot on the padding while jumping over them.  It really won;t take much for the defense to improve tremendously, and it won't take better players.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Well, I don't think the Tigers are going to miss Chase Daniel.  Gabbert looked pretty impressive yesterday.  Whitlock seems to think he is the second coming of John Elway.  Let's hope he remains injury free and stays at Mizzou for the next 3 years. 
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

Highlander wrote: Let's hope he remains injury free and stays at Mizzou for the next 3 years. 
If one of these things happens, the other won't. It won't even really matter if he struggles, with that body and that arm, if he's healthy, he'd be crazy not to go NFL draft after next year.

Nothing has really changed from the moment he signed his letter of intent. His upside is (and was always known to be) far beyond that of Brad Smith and Chase Daniel ... the only surprise is that he seems a lot closer to realizing his potential than would be anticipated for someone with his experience. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a better QB than Daniel was by the end of this season, and right up there with the Big XII's best. A healthy Blaine Gabbert is almost a guaranteed eventual 1st round NFL pick.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

phxcat wrote: At this point, there is no reason to think that KU's line will be any better than K-State's, in fact, with the replacement of three interior linemen and using a converted freshman TE at left tackle, it is not unlikely that KU's will be worse. 
Oh after eye-balling that Cat offense in person I think we can safely say that your prediction is indeed highly unlikely.  They did have some success running the ball but once they face legit defenses that wake up to the fact that passing is a zero risk, we can safely assume the run will be shut down too. 

Good to see that Bill has spent the last three years of down time working on innovating and modernizing his playbook.  &&&&&&&&&&
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Anyone that thought K-State or Colorado would finish ahead of MU should have their head examined.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Good to see that Bill has spent the last three years of down time working on innovating and modernizing his playbook.  &&&&&&&&&&
Yeah, because that's what he's known for. Opening the playbook in the first game of the year with a new quarterback, running back, etc against a 1-AA opponent. &&&&&&&&
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Yeah, because that's what he's known for. Opening the playbook in the first game of the year with a new quarterback, running back, etc against a 1-AA opponent. &&&&&&&&
Thanks for the tip - I'll look forward to the high-flying, aerial assault and unpredictable play pattern to kick in sometime around week 4?  5? 

:lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hopefully you'll see it with grant gregory.  CC is slow.

It was fairly obvious that wasn't much of the offense....evenso, yuck.

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Thanks for the tip - I'll look forward to the high-flying, aerial assault and unpredictable play pattern to kick in sometime around week 4?  5? 

:lol:
I would imagine Brandon Banks will show up in the backfield at some point this season. We might also have some sort of running play that isn't between the tackles or a standard option left/option right. Maybe.

Not saying that's what caused the problems, but it was pretty obvious that about one-page of the playbook was used and it was the boring page.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.