Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by kcmetro »

Wow, that's pretty nice.  Hope it's a success from the get-go.  Can't imagine it not being after seeing everything on that video.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I am already making my list...since I go to the store like once a month.  My car might just be used solely for trips to MKS.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

6 am - 10 pm.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: So very true...but also the business needs to dedicate itself to trying and not immediately cutting hours if it doesn't work day 1....like so many businesses do.  Look at Cupini's...stuck it out and now I think they do well enough after 5pm to justify staying open.
Seems less likely with a grocery.  I have heard that with the near round the clock maintenance and stocking, there isn't much savings in closing such an operation - people still have to be there working.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

If you look closely at the store it is set up to cater to the JoCo River Market people. There is like one express register facing the street and the 5-6 other registers face the parking garage entrance in the rear. Yet again, the suburbs pwn the city. Regardless...NASTY store that will do boatloads in making downtown look more sexy and sophisticated. Very glad this went into a high density part of the loop.
dangerboy wrote: Huh???  Are you forgetting the 15-20,000 existing residents? 
Downtown has a few thousand less people than Hays, KS. Hays doesn't have anything as nice as Cosentino's and probably has more density and better demos than our "river to crown" abandoned downtown. The office workers, tourists, and car commuters will keep Cosentino's afloat.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: the JoCo River Market people.
Is this one of the lost tribes of Israel?  Way to wear that class envy on your sleave.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I live blocks away and appreciate the registers towards the garage....people usually buy more than they can carry home at a grocery store.  I plan to stop frequently so I don't have to drive but most won't I'm guessing.

abandoned downtown...ha.

KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Actually, if you looked even closer, you would see that there are two registers at the 13th street entrance AND they have a portable register that is rolled out at that entrance based on demand. 

Also, those "JoCo River Market people" have invested in downtown, something most people haven't done.  Even on this Board.   
trailerkid wrote: If you look closely at the store it is set up to cater to the JoCo River Market people. There is like one express register facing the street and the 5-6 other registers face the parking garage entrance in the rear. Yet again, the suburbs pwn the city. Regardless...NASTY store that will do boatloads in making downtown look more sexy and sophisticated. Very glad this went into a high density part of the loop.

Downtown has a few thousand less people than Hays, KS. Hays doesn't have anything as nice as Cosentino's and probably has more density and better demos than our "river to crown" abandoned downtown. The office workers, tourists, and car commuters will keep Cosentino's afloat.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: abandoned downtown...ha.
WALK from the River Market to Crown Center to 18th and Vine.

KC is still abandoned compared to pre-interstate highway KC Downtown or any other vibrant downtown of a metropolitian area in the US. It is miles better than 5-10 years ago, but KC had the worst downtown next to Detroit in the entire country 5-10 years ago. There are large swaths of abandoned buildings and parking lots all over.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCTigerFan wrote: Actually, if you looked even closer, you would see that there are two registers at the 13th street entrance AND they have a portable register that is rolled out at that entrance based on demand. 
Wow...2 small registers and a rolling register on demand compared to 5-6 FACING a blank parking garage. Way to send the right message to pedestrians using the streetfront! It's like a big, fat slap in the face to pedestrians. Not suprising.

Wasn't going to "go there" but your flippant reply surely warranted it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Trailerkid, if I remember correctly, you don't even live in Kansas City.  Why so obsessed with a grocery store here?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok.  sounds like you are describing 90% of US downtowns to me.

do you really care how many registers are facing which way?  I'm sure they can reconfigure if needed...way to just complain for absolutely zero reason.

Let's think for a second....people walking....smaller # of items.  people driving....large # of items...do we see why maybe more checkout lanes now towards the garage.

Wow.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Seems fairly laudable to me.  I am glad they went out of the way to have the prominent street corner entrance.  I am sure the cheaper/utilitarian thing to do would have been to build one larger bank of registers to serve both the garage and a street entrance at that back end of the store - midblock, and forgo the shiny corner entrance all together. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That's one of the nicer grocery stores I've ever seen. They're going to do great business for lunch.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Yes.  The grocery store hates pedestrains.  WTF?  We are not NYC.  There is simply not enough daily foot traffic downtown to warrant equal registers.  I can assure you that should the walk in traffic reach critical mass, there is plenty of room and willingness to alter the configuration to allow for more walk in registers.  You can look to and plan for how to change traffic patterns, but if you blatently ignore the reality you will fail.   
trailerkid wrote: Wow...2 small registers and a rolling register on demand compared to 5-6 FACING a blank parking garage. Way to send the right message to pedestrians using the streetfront! It's like a big, fat slap in the face to pedestrians. Not suprising.

kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

trailerkid wrote: If you look closely at the store it is set up to cater to the JoCo River Market people. There is like one express register facing the street and the 5-6 other registers face the parking garage entrance in the rear. Yet again, the suburbs pwn the city. Regardless...NASTY store that will do boatloads in making downtown look more sexy and sophisticated. Very glad this went into a high density part of the loop.

trailerkid wrote: WALK from the River Market to Crown Center to 18th and Vine.

KC is still abandoned compared to pre-interstate highway KC Downtown or any other vibrant downtown of a metropolitian area in the US. It is miles better than 5-10 years ago, but KC had the worst downtown next to Detroit in the entire country 5-10 years ago. There are large swaths of abandoned buildings and parking lots all over.
trailerkid wrote: Wow...2 small registers and a rolling register on demand compared to 5-6 FACING a blank parking garage. Way to send the right message to pedestrians using the streetfront! It's like a big, fat slap in the face to pedestrians. Not suprising.

Bitch moan, bitch moan. 

The 5-6 registers facing the garage are also facing the loft like eating area, not just the parking lot. 

I cannot believe I even responded!!  Placing the registers in a place biased towards those who drive vs walk.  REALLY!?!?  If they want to walk, walk towards the other end of the store and pay. 
DTCouncil
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by DTCouncil »

This is sad...I guess people can always find something to complain about....instead, we should be celebrating that our Downtown will now have one of the nicest urban grocery stores in the country. 
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I wish to lodge a complaint too.  Based on the video it appears that the floors are too shiny and polished.  It will hurt my eyes when the sun shines on them.  Additionally, they carry Pistachio pudding.  I hate Pistachio pudding.  It only caters to the rich condo dwelling DB elites.  &&&
DTCouncil wrote:
This is sad...I guess people can always find something to complain about....instead, we should be celebrating that our Downtown will now have one of the nicest urban grocery stores in the country. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I guess it wouldn't be Christmas Eve without a Scrooge showing up.  Bah, Humbug!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Hey Mr. T. Kid, I think you should watch Mr. Ramsey's video again. And study it closely. But don't even bother with the content. Just pay attention to how fucking happy and positive he is. Maybe if you watch it enough times, a modicum of his attitude will rub off on you.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown