OFFICIAL: Law Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Law Building

Post by Long »

kcdcchef wrote: kid a
charisma, not character, gets you public office in america, i have that.
i never said it would be vacant, i say that if we get bitchy about some of these buildings, that arent that important, we lose out on something bigger.

He didn't say he didn't think you could be a council member, he said he's glad you're not. . .

And your charisma is coming through very clearly  :)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i am glad he didnt, i would never want to be a council member.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Could somebody please explain to me again why this building is now a gravel lot?, I have yet to comprehend what has happend here. #-o
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Could somebody please explain to me again why this building is now a gravel lot?, I have yet to comprehend what has happend here. #-o
I think there was a plan that went sour. And unfortunatley for us, and downtown, the developers did not have the foresight to think before they demolished.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

well, if our downtown is going to be as great as everyone seems to think it will be, i am sure someone will put something decent on this site.  i wouldn't mind another low-rise, only perhaps with a really modern design, something that glows.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Just a reminder, 18 years have passed and there still isn't any development plan for the parcel where the Law Building existed. Had it not been demolished, it would likely be housing now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:48 pm Just a reminder, 18 years have passed and there still isn't any development plan for the parcel where the Law Building existed. Had it not been demolished, it would likely be housing now.
Reminders like this are so important because it's not like building destruction has stopped, even with increased development. 8th and Grand and the Board of Education come to mind, both with very little push back even on this site.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Eight retail bays. Some were small enough to provide affordable space for small counter-type/take-out restaurants, barber shops/beauty salons, florists, shoe/clothing repair/alterations, magazine/card shops, etc. These are the type of businesses that mostly can't afford space in the P&L district but provide needed services to the neighborhood. Usually not chains but locally-growth businesses. The small retail bays are the type that developers of new buildings never create anymore.

Lesson: a standing building is almost always a better bet than a future proposal. Secondly, a renovated Law Building would have likely produced revenue for the City for the past 15 years, and even with incentives, they would probably be expiring or close to expiring.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The demolition of this building, and its site's perpetual vacancy, are just plain urban abuse
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Damn. Didn't know about this one.

So this one was on Copaken's site here? Optimistically becomes the parking garage for another building on the other side of the block?