Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by earthling »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: This is probably the ugliest building on the Plaza and one that I wouldn't mind seeing redeveloped (assuming it was done well) - especially if there is difficulty finding a tenant for such a large space.
Yeah, am hoping they open it up with windows and add more streetfront retail. Knowing Highwoods though, they'll want to tear it down and build an office building. One thing we know for sure, Highwoods won't add any semblance of neighborhood amenities as badly as they are needed (a drugstore).
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Will miss the hallmark cards in Halls. But I guess that falls under the "neighborhood amenity" category so unlikely to be replaced.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

first of all WTF, Hall's is closing?! That's terrible. Hall's Plaza is one of my favorite holiday traditions, obviously around Christmas but also for purchasing cards, candy and gifts for my mother and gf year-round. Admittedly my shopping practices aren't keeping them in business but man this makes me sad. I love having an old-school, multi-level department store on the Plaza, of local roots to boot. A KC institution, right down to the little Gold Crown seals I request for every card I give.

Upon deeper investigation of their plans, the new CC store has the potential to be amazing, so I'll withhold additional mourning for the Plaza store for now. I just hope that one of my favorite KC icons remains for some time to come.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dpost
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Halls on the Plaza is closing. This could be a good thing, it would be nice to see a big retailer like Nordstrom, Needless Markups (Neiman Marcus), or something like a Grocery Store or Drug Store go in. I except that space to get filled rather easily.
That would be ideal but I've learned not to trust Highwoods when this kind of opportunity presents itself. Visions of a glass office building probably dancing through their heads.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KSTHANE wrote:You think a grocery store would work there when a Whole Foods is going in a few blocks away?
Isn't the neighborhood still opposing this store?
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Would be a good spot for Neiman Marcus.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Is this area even big enough for Neiman Marcus, they'll probably divide the 1st floor into spaces for smaller stores and turn the upper floors into more office space like they did with the Saks space
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

First floor retail...maybe two stories? Condos on top would be better.

Sad to see them leave the Plaza. It was one of the main stores keeping the Plaza "classy". Maybe they will just have to replace the brands lost with a store for each
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tml?page=2

Article about DST continuing to sell off properties including these properties near the plaza:

• 4900 Main St., a 12-story, 189,582-square-foot office building with 95 percent occupancy and structured and surface parking.
• 4901 Main St., a four-story, 65,955-square-foot building with 22 percent occupancy and covered and surface parking.
• The 14,768-square-foot retail strip between 4928 and 4980 Main St. that is home to SPIN! Neapolitan Pizza. It was part of a recent award-winning mixed-use renovation.
• A vacant development lot covering 19,381 square feet at the southeast corner of 50th Street and Baltimore Avenue.

Found this nugget interesting:
During her firm’s due diligence on the Board of Trade building, Duran added, she discovered that the garage side of the property has zoning that would allow dense residential redevelopment, adding to the potential reuses.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

The Star article about the Halls move says turning the 2nd floor back to parking is a possibility. Wouldn't surprised me if that ends up happening.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

We should start writing/contacting highwoods and encourage them to do something useful (i.e. non office or parking lot) for the Halls spot. It would be unfortunate if they just converted this to a generic office building like the saks one.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highwood's core business is office parks. I think The Plaza is their only big (or one of few) retail centers. They have no interest in the residential market or catering to the neighborhood (market/drugstore). My guess is they'll kick around idea of tearing down for taller office building but then do exactly what they did to Saks - smaller streetfront retail and offices or more parking above within existing building. I highly doubt they'll seek a large format retailer unless one or so come to them unsolicited.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

LCDSI wrote:We should start writing/contacting highwoods and encourage them to do something useful (i.e. non office or parking lot) for the Halls spot. It would be unfortunate if they just converted this to a generic office building like the saks one.
What else can they fill the upper floors with besides parking or offices? Zoning might prevent them from putting condos there
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

How cool would condos be? Put large windows in with balconies. They'd sell for big bucks and certainly a better use of space than parking spots...actually living IN the Plaza would be amazing. I had friends from out of town (with more money than they know what to do with) ask me if there was any condos for sale within the Plaza instead of just the perimeter. Too bad Highwoods wouldn't be that creative. That boxy building could be very cool if done right.

Maybe Crate and Barrel would go for this space...can't believe they passed up all the Plaza traffic for a mundane strip center spot way out south.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Downtowner wrote:Maybe Crate and Barrel would go for this space...can't believe they passed up all the Plaza traffic for a mundane strip center spot way out south.
I think this outcome is unlikely, but given that the Halls building is nothing too special, it would be awesome if Crate and Barrel built a store on the spot. I think on that end of the Plaza it would be a nice contrast with the surrounding buildings.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote:
Downtowner wrote:Maybe Crate and Barrel would go for this space...can't believe they passed up all the Plaza traffic for a mundane strip center spot way out south.
I think this outcome is unlikely, but given that the Halls building is nothing too special, it would be awesome if Crate and Barrel built a store on the spot. I think on that end of the Plaza it would be a nice contrast with the surrounding buildings.
#savethehallsbuilding
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Wasn't Apple looking for a bigger space?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Crate and Barrel's current location is ideal - I need them to stay at least 15 miles from my wallet.