NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by KCRoyal »

kcjak wrote:
KCRoyal wrote:Another preseason game at Sprint Center is scheduled for September 27 between the Anaheim Ducks and St. Louis Blues. It was virtually a sell out the last time the Blues were here if my memory is correct.
I believe the Blues are actually playing the Dallas Stars, no?
You are correct. It is the Dallas Stars vs St. Louis Blues. I just glanced at the logo and somehow came away with Ducks instead of Stars for some reason.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NHL holding meetings to consider expansion. Seattle and Vegas are the top two candidates. Quebec City is also mentioned. Not mentioned: Kansas City.

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... n-the-list

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e17560340/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

NHL holding meetings to consider expansion. Seattle and Vegas are the top two candidates. Quebec City is also mentioned. Not mentioned: Kansas City.
So frustrating. I may be one of the last hold outs hoping against hope for an NHL or NBA expansion franchise to be awarded to KC. Would LOVE to see a local ownership group step forward. Could be such a major (if cliched) indicator of KC's growing status, along with the badass PAC and top-notch developing arts scene.

I've really enjoyed attending Mavericks hockey games in Independence, and come on, everyone loves basketball, right? Certainly in this region, at least. IMO, downtown desperately needs a high quality sports component. Could be UMKC at the Muni, but they seem to have no interest in ever developing a high quality D1 program. Could have been Sporting, but we know how that went. NHL/NBA would be a major energizer downtown and would have the added benefit of being a major regional feather in our cap. Would provide a big winter amenity in a town that loves sports of all stripes.

Alas, I will continue to wait and hope for the tiny rumor-crumbs that drop my way...
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Indiana,Cleveland,San Antonio,OKC,Golden State,Portland,Houston work because NBA team does good.
Orlando works because Solar Bears did good in Orlando by winning Turner Cup Championship.
Atlanta had a team before.
Memphis,New Orleans,Charlotte could work.
Sacramento is getting a new arena and Milwaukee having Arena issues.
Last edited by mgsports on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports wrote:Indiana,Cleveland,Orlando,San Antonio,OKC gets a NHL team before Las Vegas gets one.
I don't see any of those as being very likely. Indiana and Cleveland are too close to Columbus which is struggling, and aren't hockey hotbeds. Orlando is too close to Tampa Bay. Not much enthusiasm in San Antonio or OKC. Vegas wants a pro sports team badly. I don't think hockey can work in Vegas, but they're in the conversation much more than we are. My guess is Seattle and Quebec City.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"My guess is Seattle and Quebec City."

Would tend to agree. Canada and hockey go together like peanut butter and jelly so there is no way two teams are added and one not being Canadian. For the most part I think the NHL will try and avoid cities in the South. For the most part those teams struggle financially unless you can get an ownership group with some very deep pockets. Seattle is close enough to Canada you could get some Canadian following. Has Seattle ever had a NHL team? Any idea on an ownership group?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:"My guess is Seattle and Quebec City."

Would tend to agree. Canada and hockey go together like peanut butter and jelly so there is no way two teams are added and one not being Canadian. For the most part I think the NHL will try and avoid cities in the South. For the most part those teams struggle financially unless you can get an ownership group with some very deep pockets. Seattle is close enough to Canada you could get some Canadian following. Has Seattle ever had a NHL team? Any idea on an ownership group?
Seattle has never had an NHL team, although they have won a Stanley Cup! They had a team in the Pacific Coast Hockey League back in the 1910s. They are desperate to get a winter sports team (NBA/NHL) back since the Sonics left. Hedge fund manager Chris Hansen has been the most visible potential owner, although he's also pursuing an NBA team. Steve Ballmer of Microsoft is rumored to be part of another ownership group.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/04/magic-sale-soon.html they were once rumored to come here but no Owner other then the ones of the 3 Sports Teams here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Miami Heat will play the Golden State Warriors Oct 17 at Sprint Center. The Heat are coming here so much, it makes me wonder if they're eyeing a relocation here. :lol:

Not really. :cry:
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMax wrote:Miami Heat will play the Golden State Warriors Oct 17 at Sprint Center. The Heat are coming here so much, it makes me wonder if they're eyeing a relocation here. :lol:

Once Lebron, Wade and Bosh are long gone the Heat will go back to half empty arenas, so they will probably move in 10-15 years
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
KCMax wrote:Miami Heat will play the Golden State Warriors Oct 17 at Sprint Center. The Heat are coming here so much, it makes me wonder if they're eyeing a relocation here. :lol:

Once Lebron, Wade and Bosh are long gone the Heat will go back to half empty arenas, so they will probably move in 10-15 years
It's not the Kansas City Heat that's bad, it's the humidity.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

The Magic aren't for sale and Heat aren't moving.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Forget about it. He may be forced to sell but it won't be a fire sale. And the team stays in LA unless Seattle ownership happens to succeed.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

If only the NBA had a few more racist owners forced to sell their teams, then maybe KC could get a team.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:If only the NBA had a few more racist owners forced to sell their teams, then maybe KC could get a team.
Quick, someone get David Glass to say something racist!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCMax wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:If only the NBA had a few more racist owners forced to sell their teams, then maybe KC could get a team.
Quick, someone get David Glass to say something racist!
"I'm getting real tired of these slow white guys grounding into double plays." - David Glass, 5/1/14.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Given the recent sale of the Bucks for $550M and the reported sale of the Clippers for $2B makes you wonder who with local ties could come up with that kind of dough.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

None of the above.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

yeah, I had one glass o wine too m...