We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The deck does not consider the option of simply re-opening mothballed terminal A in order to get to 35 leased gates. By the way, there is enough space in the current B+C configuration to get 35 gates, perhaps not with the existing TSA staff, but there are enough slots and apron.

I vote to send everyone back to the drawing table. The airport works just fine.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

mean wrote: Some men you just can't reach. So you get a new airport, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.
from the vaults!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Onward and upward!!! To me if the airlines are in along with those who have already studied it, it seems like the way to go....let's not forget the business community has already been on board with KCI 2.0 for awhile as well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The star comments are back to "I wouldn't use..." as the reason to not do something.

Clearly we all need private flying pods for everyone that leaves from their own home.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote:Clearly we all need private flying pods for everyone that leaves from their own home.
Oh God Please! That would be so awesome!
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

shinatoo wrote:
flyingember wrote:Clearly we all need private flying pods for everyone that leaves from their own home.
Oh God Please! That would be so awesome!
Imagine the amount of people at the Eiffel tower, or at Old Faithful, etc. when this happens. Premium zone travel taxes are not too far off, or even a travel lottery to go certain places that can't be overcrowded.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I have a hypothesis.

So we know two things happened since the last public announcement
1. the cost jumped
2. the airlines flipped

We can figure there's probably not $1 billion worth of things that must be done. That would be a crazy expensive list of nice changes to make.

The airlines want convenience and frequent traveler do too. so they'll chose the plan that keeps the most convenience. The airlines didn't chose to put in metal detectors or xrays.

So what could cost several hundred million dollars and they like new with less convenience more than renovating a super convenient design?

My hypothesis is Homeland Security is mandating closing all the entrances close to the secure areas.
Closing the circle drive to private vehicles, moving the garage entrances, making a new pedestrian dropoff zone and building a new entry area onto the end of each terminal could easily explain the cost jump.

If you think it goes further it means a huge redo with moved ticket counters, new baggage systems and so on.

That's what I think happened. That the people wanting to keep the current terminals because they're convenient lost no matter what.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

To those of you that don't want a new single terminal, how often do you really fly? I am first to admit that KCI used to be convenient and was the envy of everyone who flew to/from KCI. However, that just isn't the case any more. I travel at least twice a month and it just amazes me how so many people think it is just fine. Walk around terminal B in the morning or mid afternoon and just listen to all the comments being freely shared about what a dump and inconvenient airport we have. Sadly, it is all true. I look forward to getting on a Southwest plane these days because it feels more roomy than the departure lounge. I've been to several of the comparison airports (Sacramento, Oakland, Indy, Hobby) and can tell you that while a single terminal is definitely going to create a little more time between drop off and pick up, the added conveniences while you're in the airport more than make up for an extra 2-5 minutes. Also, I believe security is also faster these days at the single terminal sites, now that they have TSA Pre. I realize this is my opinion, but an airport designed to meet the needs 40-50 years ago, just isn't convenient for today's needs. Let's get this ball rolling faster so that we don't see a dramatic increase in price when interest rates start rising.....
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

if it's so outdated how come in this decade it's been on so many top ten lists for convenience and satisfaction?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

"Medium Airports - Kansas City International (MCI) ranks highest among medium airports, and performs particularly well in three of the six factors: airport accessibility, check-in/baggage check and security check."
-JD Power and Associates

What KC did not do well at was Terminal Facilities, Food/beverage services, and Baggage claims.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

JBmidtown wrote:if it's so outdated how come in this decade it's been on so many top ten lists for convenience and satisfaction?
And if you traveled to/from KCI when that ranking took place (2009 or 2011?) it was good. However, a LOT has changed in that short period (airline mergers, consolidation to two terminals, higher passenger counts, Added security machines that 'slow' the process, etc....). I'll again state that if you haven't flown out of KCI in the last couple years, give it a shot and let us know if you hear a bunch of fellow passengers gushing about how great the airport is. Not to mention the fact that the age and design of the airport inhibits the ability to adopt changes occurring within the industry. This is not your fixer upper 3 bed/2 bath in midtown, this is a critical piece of infrastructure that is past its usable life and we need to move into the 21st century.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I've traveled quite a bit for work the past three years and it's just so damn easy. Park at bottom level of garage - escalator up - stand in line 10-15 mintes - board plane. If I'm checked in and only carrying on, I can get there 30 minutes before boarding. Compared to my return trips from Philly/Newark/La Guardia it's incredibly easy.

I really don't care if they change it or not - won't be hurt if they do. I understand why people arriving early and/or having to deal w/delays would HATE the experience. No one goes to an airport for food and drink options, but plenty of people get stuck there. The one time I had significant delays in KCI the last few years, I just left and went to Zona Rosa for dinner. Which is not really something non-locals could do as easy.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

My favorite Yelp report is how inside security for Delta, for six gates, women have a total of two toilets. They make clear that's not two restrooms.
Can you imagine sharing a toilet with at least a couple hundred other people or dealing with security again?

If anyone from the city is reading this the way to win is to find a good way to run with the idea. You will win by making it about women wanting basic dignity.

Taking the average flight numbers of six gates per day and put a field of icons of that many women in the middle with two toilets on one side and a picture of an actor in a TSA uniform on the other and below it this text

"At KCI each day this many women deal with this (arrow right) or this (arrow left) to use the restroom. Vote yes for a modern, convenient KCI."
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote:I've traveled quite a bit for work the past three years and it's just so damn easy. Park at bottom level of garage - escalator up - stand in line 10-15 mintes - board plane. If I'm checked in and only carrying on, I can get there 30 minutes before boarding. Compared to my return trips from Philly/Newark/La Guardia it's incredibly easy.
You just compared the #1 and #7 most populated metro areas with #28. If you read comments comparing to other cities the list always contains a top 3 city based on size.

I have never heard someone say that flying out of KC is easier than #45, New Orleans or #54 Rochester or #60 Dayton. But I bet people there find their airport easier than NYC or Philly.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The alternative is Van Loh being "diplomatic" and allowing a full discourse, and allowing the vocal minority to bluster our way to a half ass renovation that we regret for the next 30 years. His job is to sell the new terminal. Your public debate is happening now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cityscape wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:if it's so outdated how come in this decade it's been on so many top ten lists for convenience and satisfaction?
And if you traveled to/from KCI when that ranking took place (2009 or 2011?) it was good. However, a LOT has changed in that short period (airline mergers, consolidation to two terminals, higher passenger counts, Added security machines that 'slow' the process, etc....). I'll again state that if you haven't flown out of KCI in the last couple years, give it a shot and let us know if you hear a bunch of fellow passengers gushing about how great the airport is. Not to mention the fact that the age and design of the airport inhibits the ability to adopt changes occurring within the industry. This is not your fixer upper 3 bed/2 bath in midtown, this is a critical piece of infrastructure that is past its usable life and we need to move into the 21st century.
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/ ... ID=2010015

there's a reason the two parking garages are frequently full or effectively full. I've been to the airport and the Southwest garage was in the single digits on free space. you don't get a convenient spot in that environment.