What restaurants do you want in the P&L District?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: What restaurants do you want in the P&L District?

Post by trailerkid »

FreeNachos wrote: Times Square has a lot of local stuff, though overshadowed by 20 story movie posters, gap ads and Virgin Megastore neon.  Tons.  Restaurants, shops and Broadway shows.  Hollywood and Highland has the Chinese Theatre, a some local restaurants and again, tons of local shops...sure they all sell plastic Oscar statues but it's still LOCAL.
Times Square local? The fact is the most high profile parts of those districts are represented by national companies. The people who go to these areas aren't there to take in some local cuisine or whatever.

RE: 30% local tenats. My guess is around 40 tenants-- give or take-- can fill the entire district. So when you take 30% of that you're going to be sitting at about 13 local names. Gates might as well be a mom-and-pop compared to AMC and Houlihan's.  It isn't surprising to see the names that turned down Cordish. All of them have never been bold enough to be attached to a local high profile developer or development. This was my point...restaurant groups that don't typically attach themselves to high profile developments like Oak Park Mall, Zona Rosa, Legends aren't going to start with the P+L District and it's ridiculous to think that one developer will suddenly change their entire strategy.

With all that said, some of my guesses for other experienced locals with enough cash that may be negotiating:
Bo Lings
Anderson Restaurant Group
Latte'Land Espresso
PB&J Restaurants
Haddad Restaurants
KC Hopps

But back on the national front I'm wondering if the people behind the short-lived Red Star Tavern up north are still interested. They have some interesting concepts like Bar Louie and Virgin Lounge which would translate much better in an urban area than in the middle of suburbia. Flying Saucer would also be a logical choice for a chain bar.

I'm also surprised that it's taken Maggiano's so long to get to KC. They would be a great tenant for Cordish as they would surely draw heavily from the suburbs.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FreeNachos wrote: One last thing.  I don't think anyone should be happy with just anybody occupying space downtown.  It's OUR city.  Downtown will survive on it's own.  Tons of new residents, hotel space and government backing.  This is not a desperate situation where we just need ANYONE to fill space. 

The Power and Light District is the head cheerleader finding a prom date, we can have any one we want.  The city should have a little swagger and arrogance here because no tenant is a make or break deal.
Yes, but do they want us?  Us wanting them and them wanting us are two different issues.  And don't forget, they may want us but cannot afford us.
You appear to have the attitude of "build it and they will come".  I don't think anybody is beating down the doors to fill up the space, especially among the locals.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I hadn't realized that Famous Dave's was confirmed by Cordish as a tenant.  Who else has been officially named as a tenant?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

tat2kc wrote: I hadn't realized that Famous Dave's was confirmed by Cordish as a tenant.  Who else has been officially named as a tenant?
now, has famous daves even been confirmed, or, are we just talking about them??

only ones i know, and forgive me if i am off, gimme sum, and lucky strike.

any others??
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: any others??
Bristol
Consentinos
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Famous Dave's isn't confirmed...Trailer seems to be taking one article and making it stone cold facts.

Here's the article: 
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 133%20.htm

and list of tenants in/out/negotiating:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13497367.htm

Here was Gate's quote at the time:

[quote]“I didn’t say yes, but I didn’t turn them down either,â€
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

^^  Those are nearly the same words ("They’re a little out of my pocketbook now") a certain pizza shop in Waldo told my party earlier this month.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Famous Dave's isn't confirmed...Trailer seems to be taking one article and making it stone cold facts.

Here's the article: 
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 133%20.htm

and list of tenants in/out/negotiating:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13497367.htm

Here was Gate's quote at the time:

Sounds like negotiations to me
WTF? He just said it was too expensive and they were the ones asking him to locate there. He never said anything about negotiating with them. If he wanted to open there...he would say so. He never did. BTW, I never said anything about Famous Dave's being confirmed. Some disgruntled BBQ lover brought it up because of the article about Cordish negotiations with them.

What is the fascination with making sure there is some local BBQ joint in the P+L district anyway? It's not the BBQ district...it's an entertainment and restaurant district. Why doesn't everyone whine about Highwoods not bringing KC BBQ into the Plaza?  That is the #1 tourist spot in the city and the only BBQ place there(and a crappy one at that) closed. If someone wants BBQ send them to a real BBQ joint-- not a brand new, cookie cutter BBQ joint that has more in common with Schlotzsky's than KC BBQ. Get over it...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

he specifically said "I haven't turned them down"....why is that hard to understand?

I'm not asking for it to be a BBQ district, I'm just being selfish and wanting a Gates closer to my house.

I also don't think we should take one news story and act like it's the absolute truth...things change.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

trailerkid wrote: WTF? He just said it was too expensive and they were the ones asking him to locate there. He never said anything about negotiating with them. If he wanted to open there...he would say so. He never did. BTW, I never said anything about Famous Dave's being confirmed. Some disgruntled BBQ lover brought it up because of the article about Cordish negotiations with them.

What is the fascination with making sure there is some local BBQ joint in the P+L district anyway? It's not the BBQ district...it's an entertainment and restaurant district. Why doesn't everyone whine about Highwoods not bringing KC BBQ into the Plaza?  That is the #1 tourist spot in the city and the only BBQ place there(and a crappy one at that) closed. If someone wants BBQ send them to a real BBQ joint-- not a brand new, cookie cutter BBQ joint that has more in common with Schlotzsky's than KC BBQ. Get over it...
i actually agree. plus, if you go to the original locations for bryants, gates, and jack stack, then go to a second or third, you notice it is not as good as the original. another fiorellas, or bryants, although superior to famous daves, is not going to be that great.

i would love to see a barbecue hall of fame or something pop up somewhere in kc, but, that may just be me.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: he specifically said "I haven't turned them down"....why is that hard to understand?

I'm not asking for it to be a BBQ district, I'm just being selfish and wanting a Gates closer to my house.

I also don't think we should take one news story and act like it's the absolute truth...things change.
There is no evidence Gates will locate downtown, but there is no real evidence against it. I think we can agree that given the business'  track record on expansion in new developments there isn't a lot of optimism about seeing a Gates in P+L. And when you add that track record to the fact that Ollie Gates said it was expensive and that they were the ones approaching him, I don't see much promise there.

I don't really like Gate's, but isn't 12th and Brooklyn the original Gate's? I could understand wanting one closer if you lived in the Northland, but I just don't get wanting Gates to put a shiny new location in some tourist district that's only 6000 feet from the original and better location. 

I'd also be for a BBQ HoF or museum, but I don't know what kind of draw that would be. A good location would be City Market if Steamboat Arabia ever leaves.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's fine you don't like GAtes and you don't understand wanting one closer.  As someone who lives and works downtown, I would like one walkable.  The one at 12th & Brooklyn isn't really walkable on a normal lunch hour, etc.  One 1.5 miles closer would be helpful for locals and tourists alike.  Again, only my opinion.

A HOF would also be cool.....I know there was talk about doing something like that in a few cities, including KC.

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

what's HOF?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: That's fine you don't like GAtes and you don't understand wanting one closer.  As someone who lives and works downtown, I would like one walkable.  The one at 12th & Brooklyn isn't really walkable on a normal lunch hour, etc.  One 1.5 miles closer would be helpful for locals and tourists alike.  Again, only my opinion.

A HOF would also be cool.....I know there was talk about doing something like that in a few cities, including KC.
Sorry it's just kinda like me wanting a Free State Brewery a block away from my house in Old West Lawrence when there's one downtown a half of a mile way. As a business move...it seems rather redundant for everyone involved. I see your point about a good BBQ place downtown, but bring in somebody like OK Joe's or L.C.'s who doesn't already have a strong urban presence.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm good with that too.  Just give me something better than Famous Daves.  I personally think DAve's was thrown out there to influence some other BBQ joints to jump in...but that's just me.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

trailerkid wrote:

I'd also be for a BBQ HoF or museum, but I don't know what kind of draw that would be. A good location would be City Market if Steamboat Arabia ever leaves.
this is actually something i spoke to investors about as recently as 2000, the possibility of opening a barbecue hall of fame in kansas city, setting it up on multiple floors of a renovated building, exhibits showcasing the heritage of kansas city barbecue, different interactive exhibits with old equipment, old advertisements, a theater with short movies about the evolution of kansas city barbecue, a gift shop at the end with all the kc barbecue sauces on sale, other novelty things like aprons, t shirts, cook books, spices, rubs, gift certificates, cowtown stuff, books, cups, all that type stuff, and a tasting room, like a tasting room at a winery, that was included with museum admission, where, you got your choice of pulled beef or pulled pork, and got it in little soufle cups and a plastic fork, so you could sample all different kinds of kansas city barbecue sauces.

we had some intrest from various groups, the kempers were going to underwrite the loan, i even invested $5,000 in creating the business plan, but, alas, my business partener would not commit the capital i needed to get this off the ground. i had convinced him from a business standpoint where we both lived in washington dc ( he was a board member with the company i was at ) but after getting him to kansas city to tour the 3 sights i was looking at, i just could not get him excited about dtkc. damnit. closest i came yet to moving back to kc too.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

you could probably pull it off in 2007.  Do it!  I'll definitely go  :D
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

ComandanteCero wrote: you could probably pull it off in 2007.  Do it!  I'll definitely go  :D
the intrest we got from kc investors was pretty decent, umb was going to do our business loan, and we were going to get a small business loan from uncle sam too, we even had one realtor , cohen esry, willing to give us a break on one of the properties, in the west bottoms, i mean, they were giving it away.

the property i wanted the most for this was over on grand near the abdiana building, multiple floors, lots of space, but, price was STEEP. crosby was trying to talk us into the west bottoms site i wanted, or 2 others, saying that a successful business could operate in the bottoms, that it was close to the kc barbecue heritage ( american royal ) and a large part of our business was to sponsor 4 barbecue competitions throughout the year, and west bottoms sights, we had 1, they had 2 others, all had parking lots beside them as to allow space for the competitions.

oh well, never got much past a ( very expensive ) dream.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

trailerkid wrote:
I don't really like Gate's, but isn't 12th and Brooklyn the original Gate's? I could understand wanting one closer if you lived in the Northland, but I just don't get wanting Gates to put a shiny new location in some tourist district that's only 6000 feet from the original and better location. 
Wasn't the original location on the Paseo?  The one on Brooklyn was his first new outlet when he developed the little shopping center.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Yard House, which is going out to the Speedway area, is putting its first LA location in the "LA Live!" project...too bad we couldn't get Yard House for the P+L District.