Big 12 Football 2009

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Big 12 Football 2009

Post by jlbomega »

The North is going to be wide open.  It is so wide open that old man Bill could knock off a few teams and play spoiler (but they will not be in the mix for the North Title despite Keitzman's best reasoning).  I wouldn't even exclude CU from the title mix.  They had a ton of injuries last year and they have an experienced QB coming back.  CU gets MU, KU, and Nebraska at home as well.  Regardless... whomever wins the North is just stamping their ticket to Dallas for an ass beating from Texas or OU. 

Regarding the South....  Call it a gut feeling, but I think Okie State tanks this year and Baylor surprises people.  OU and UT will separate themselves early from the rest of the South teams.  The South dominates the North, but the domination isn't as bad as last year. 

I think OU and UT are in a league of their own, both are likely BCS teams (again). 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The Jayhawks have inked a home and away with Georgia Tech for 2010-2011.  Not spectacular but a significant improvement over some our past no name non-cons. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

One of Bill's new QB's was arrested last night for beating up a lady.  Good to see that the old man is cleaning things up and setting them back on path. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AP Top 25 Preseason Poll is out.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 98997.html

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. Alabama

9. Oklahoma State
24.Nebraska
25.Kansas

Others receiving votes:
31. Texas Tech
45. Missouri
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: One of Bill's new QB's was arrested last night for beating up a lady.  Good to see that the old man is cleaning things up and setting them back on path. 
Kinda grasping at straws with this one?  Article indicated the he and his girlfriend were both arrested and charged with misdemeanors.  No other details are known.   

Not exactly Lawrence Phillips or CJ Giles.  You know what I mean?     

ps.  he's not "one of Bill's new QBs."  20 year old sophomore.  brought in by Prince.  third string.     
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Didn't think anyone would possibly defend that behavior but a catbacker steps in and does so. Amazing.

Also like the...he's third string card.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Also like the...he's third string card.
Particularly enlightening given all of the stories out of Manhattan about Bill not liking any of his QB's and not really having anything set in stone.  KC-Wildcat must have a copy of the super secret depth chart. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Particularly enlightening given all of the stories out of Manhattan about Bill not liking any of his QB's and not really having anything set in stone.  KC-Wildcat must have a copy of the super secret depth chart. 
Not defending the actions of Kassanavoid.  Just putting Lenexa's statement into perspective.  Lenexa insinuated that Snyder condones abusive behavior.  That Snyder somehow encourages a culture of misconduct.  I think these insiuations are grossly unfair given the lack of details known to the public.  Further, given the fact that the kid and his girlfriend were both given misdemeanors and arrested, I'm not sure it's fair to say that he was "beating up a lady." 

Hey, take it for what it's worth.  A portion of my legal practice is criminal defense.  I see municipal battery/assault cases all the time.  In my experience, if the kid beat up his girlfriend, he wouldn't be charged with a misdemeanor.  Further, if the 'lady' was the victim here, she wouldn't have been charged and arrested.  Not being a blind homer here.  Just being a lawyer. 

With respect to his status on the team, I don't have a super secret depth chart.  I'm just going off of the spring game, insider information on gopowercat.com, and Snyder's comments that Carson Coffman and Grant Gregory are the two frontrunners for the starting job.  I made an assumption that Kassanavoid would be no better than 3rd string.     
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Particularly enlightening given all of the stories out of Manhattan about Bill not liking any of his QB's and not really having anything set in stone.  KC-Wildcat must have a copy of the super secret depth chart. 
Granted I am not in a position to listen much to 810, but I do keep up on the K-State sites and occasionally yhe KU sites and never heard anything to indicate that Bill is not taking a liking to any of his QBs!  It does seem that it is pretty much a two man race between Gregory and Coffman with a possible darkhorse who is not Kassanavoid.  He really is not even in the picture at QB right now.

also,
KC-wildcat wrote: Not defending the actions of Kassanavoid.  Just putting Lenexa's statement into perspective.  Lenexa insinuated that Snyder condones abusive behavior.  That Snyder somehow encourages a culture of misconduct.  I think these insiuations are grossly unfair given the lack of details known to the public.  Further, given the fact that the kid and his girlfriend were both given misdemeanors and arrested, I'm not sure it's fair to say that he was "beating up a lady." 

Hey, take it for what it's worth.  A portion of my legal practice is criminal defense.  I see municipal battery/assault cases all the time.  In my experience, if the kid beat up his girlfriend, he wouldn't be charged with a misdemeanor.  Further, if the 'lady' was the victim here, she wouldn't have been charged and arrested.  Not being a blind homer here.  Just being a lawyer. 

With respect to his status on the team, I don't have a super secret depth chart.  I'm just going off of the spring game, insider information on gopowercat.com, and Snyder's comments that Carson Coffman and Grant Gregory are the two frontrunners for the starting job.  I made an assumption that Kassanavoid would be no better than 3rd string.     
Snyder likes to find out what is going on before making a show punishment that means nothing in reality.  In this case, and I could be wrong, but it looks like he could very well actually not be guilty of anything.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

phxcat wrote: Granted I am not in a position to listen much to 810, but I do keep up on the K-State sites and occasionally yhe KU sites and never heard anything to indicate that Bill is not taking a liking to any of his QBs! 
Writing is kind of on the wall when you are known to be out desperately scouring the country for game ready JuCo QB's virtually right up to the last moment. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Writing is kind of on the wall when you are known to be out desperately scouring the country for game ready JuCo QB's virtually right up to the last moment. 
Look, nobody is arguing that QB will be a strength on this team.  Hopefully, one of these guys will be able to step up and manage 6-7 wins and a bowl game.  Brian Kavanaugh was an average QB at KSU, but took us to Holiday and Cotton Bowls in consecutive seasons.     

Obviously, Snyder wants more talent at QB.  If an upgrade exists anywhere in the country (JuCo or highschool) you can bet he's going to address that option.  I would hope most Big XII coaches would. 

Still doesn't change the fact that on September 5th, Kassanavoid will be no better than 3rd String.  Gregory or Coffman at this point. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Mizzou wins the North...you heard it here first.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Blaine Dalton has been dismissed from the team in Columbia - sounds like he picked up a DUI last night after having multiple previous issues with the law. 

Kudos to Pinkel for taking the high road. 
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

KC-wildcat wrote: Look, nobody is arguing that QB will be a strength on this team.  Hopefully, one of these guys will be able to step up and manage 6-7 wins and a bowl game.  Brian Kavanaugh was an average QB at KSU, but took us to Holiday and Cotton Bowls in consecutive seasons.     

Obviously, Snyder wants more talent at QB.  If an upgrade exists anywhere in the country (JuCo or highschool) you can bet he's going to address that option.  I would hope most Big XII coaches would. 

Still doesn't change the fact that on September 5th, Kassanavoid will be no better than 3rd String.  Gregory or Coffman at this point. 
And I don't think that Snyder is out desperately scouring the country for last minute JUCO QBs.  He is looking at Cam Newton, who, by all accounts, would be a stud and would be a playing down the road.  And Snyder is not going to start a QB in his system who is just getting to campus.  That would be ridiculous.  In fact, the fact that Gregory is even being considered indicates that he learned quite lot of the playbook at South Florida and is brighter than most.  They may not have all of the tools that Snyder is looking for, but all indications are that he is happy with what he has, with probably an actual running game, good receivers and a line that is actually being asked to lift weights for the first time in three years, a Kavanaugh will be fine.  And no, Kassanavoid will be no better than 3rd string, if that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Blaine Dalton has been dismissed from the team in Columbia - sounds like he picked up a DUI last night after having multiple previous issues with the law. 

Kudos to Pinkel for taking the high road. 
Too bad about Dalton because he had some talent but he also had a pretty serious brush with the law over the summer.  To turn around and get in trouble agains so quickly was just really stupid.  Fortunately, Gabbard looks like he'll be a great quarterback, just hope he isn't injured. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Too bad about Dalton because he had some talent but he also had a pretty serious brush with the law over the summer.  To turn around and get in trouble agains so quickly was just really stupid.  Fortunately, Gabbard looks like he'll be a great quarterback, just hope he isn't injured. 
*Gabbert

Glad to see Dalton go, overrated...and he has had WAY too many chances.  What...like 3 this summer alone?  Are you kidding me.  Good to see him show the true retard colors and toss away the chance of a lifetime.  Kudos.  Bravo.  *Applause* Now go grab a pancake flipper and get to work.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

im2kull wrote: *Gabbert

Glad to see Dalton go, overrated...and he has had WAY too many chances.  What...like 3 this summer alone?  Are you kidding me.  Good to see him show the true retard colors and toss away the chance of a lifetime.  Kudos.  Bravo.  *Applause* Now go grab a pancake flipper and get to work.
And MU is better off finding out now rather than after he has been in the program a while.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We doing a predicition thread?  Say after this weekend's games?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: We doing a predicition thread?  Say after this weekend's games?
Thursday should answer the crucial "will ISU get a win this year" question.  :lol:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: We doing a predicition thread?  Say after this weekend's games?
Why wait?

North
Kansas 6-2 10-2
Nebraska 6-2 9-3
Missouri 4-4 7-5
Colorado 2-6 4-8
Iowa State 1-7 4-8
Kansas State 0-8 3-9

South
Texas 8-0 12-0
Oklahoma 7-1 11-1
Oklahoma State 6-2 10-2