Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: It's sad the regulars that supported these places, drop it like an old hat.  Obviously these aren't mainstream bars and they depend on regular business from a very small niche....sad.
The regulars are the ones still going.  They are no longer getting the EXTRA people that they normally had.  The ones that are occasional repeat customers or general population picking a place at random.

And it's a GOOD thing that these are non mainstream bars.  We don't need 500 Applebees.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah it's fine they aren't mainstream, just saying they rely on a much smaller % of the downtown population (workers and/or residents and no visitors)......

so people aren't picking the zoo at random because of the smoking ban...is that what you are telling us?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Evidently.  Zoo, Stables, it's the same at all the places I go.  The only people I have seen have been the true regulars.    Hardly any additional clientelle at all.

Stables had 7 people when I was there tonight and my friend and I were 2 of those 7.

I'm holding out hope that last weekend was a fluke due to the art fair.  But this weekend is a holiday weekend so it won't be for 2 more weekends before we can tell if there's any improvement.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

scooterj wrote:
Zoo had 3 customers Friday night.  Normally on a Friday there would be a steady base of regulars + several spurts of 10-15 people at a time.  And Tuesday night they closed at 10:30... normally on Tuesdays they have enough customers they stay open until 12:30-1:00.

Shooter's had 6 customers Saturday afternoon for lunch.  Normally they have about 30.

I saw 4 customers at Stables after work Friday.  Normally that place is half full immediately after work.

Caddyshack had decent business last Friday night but much of it was on the patio (except for during the rain).
Time for the non  smokers to step up and use the bars nowthat there is no smoking.. Myself I'll buy a 12 pack and drink it at home where I can smoke at peace!..

Will be alot cheaper and no whiney non smokers to ruin my buzz..
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCKev wrote: Time for the non  smokers to step up and use the bars nowthat there is no smoking.. Myself I'll buy a 12 pack and drink it at home where I can smoke at peace!..

Will be alot cheaper and no whiney non smokers to ruin my buzz..
Are you a teenager?
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

For years the nonsmokers talked the talk now it's time for them to walk the walk!
The beer in Raytown taste so much better with a smoke.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

crappy bars are still crappy bars even without smoke :)  pretty sure stables is going to see a big influx of customers who were just waiting for it to be non-smoking.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

When I was at Stables last night I noticed that it reeks now.  Really badly.  There's a strong funky smell that was evidently former masked by the aroma of burning tobacco leaves.

I noticed that at several bars in Minneapolis, which has suffered under a ban for a few years now.    You could smell the restrooms from the bar in almost every place I went into.  Unfortunately several of those places (many decades old) have gone under since my visit.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

scooterj wrote: When I was at Stables last night I noticed that it reeks now.   Really badly.   There's a strong funky smell that was evidently former masked by the aroma of burning tobacco leaves.

I noticed that at several bars in Minneapolis, which has suffered under a ban for a few years now.    You could smell the restrooms from the bar in almost every place I went into.  Unfortunately several of those places (many decades old) have gone under since my visit.
If you want a really, really bad cigarette smell. Visit the smoking section of a Perkin's post smoking ban.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I was in a dive bar in San Francisco a couple months ago, and the whole place absolutely hummed of feces. It was overwhelming. There was no escape, except in leaving, so we left.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Really, if the best that can be said for smoking in bars is that it's great because it covers up the lurking poop smell that would otherwise be pervasive, that's not such a vote of confidence in the establishment to begin with, no?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Indeed it is not. It makes me wonder just how bad it would be to lose places that care so little about the health and comfort of their customers.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

beautyfromashes wrote: Are you a teenager?
Only in spirit! Last known teenage activity was 1979.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCKev wrote: Only in spirit! Last known teenage activity was 1979.
Sorry, you just reminded me of my dramatic kid sister at 13 when she got in a fight with one of her friends and refused to go to a birthday party..."I'm not going! humpf" tears, drama, door slamming, locking herself in the bathroom, hair tossing... you get the picture.  But hey, enjoy drinking by yourself on your front porch. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Zoo Bars and Stables both had good crowds tonight.  GREAT to see... it's the first time I've seen either busy at night since the smoking ban without a special event.

[begin shameless plug for my favorite spot]
BTW I don't know about the other places but Zoo Bar WILL be open tonight so if you're looking for cheap drinks after fireworks tonight stop by.      :mrgreen:
[ / end shameless plug for myu favorite spot ]
Last edited by scooterj on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Add Copa Room & Swizzle to the list. Copa is moving t Kansas side.
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

Did you hear swizzle is closing?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

MelBee's is closing at the end of July
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

All the closings will sooner or later effect the P&l and downtown. When something goes under something new comes along. When the flash wears off the district everyone will flock  to the newer spots to be seen. Welcome to Kansas City.
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

butter_breath wrote: Add Copa Room & Swizzle to the list. Copa is moving t Kansas side.
Again, is Swizzle closing?