OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by 49r »

anniewarbucks wrote: From this post I was wondering why a car dealership was opening up in the P&L district but found out that Plaza Ford-Ideal was a cleaners. This would be a good tennent along with Constantinos and others to provide the 24 hour experiance to this district.
Now it's Istanbul.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

JDluu wrote: Is that Grand lined up with the H&R Block Hdqtrs (which is on Main)?
Good eye. You win a rabid monkey.
There is no fifth destination.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Wow I thought there would be rabid anger about the GNC. Congrats to everyone on their remarkable restraint, I guess.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah...GNC, Jos. A. Bank, Chipotle, Starbucks - are we at SummitWoods in Lee's Summit?!  heh.

lame, but oh well, the area needs some more mundane, neighborhoody businesses - i guess?  i'd hate for a $850M project to have too many things i can find in Independence.
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

chrizow wrote: yeah...GNC, Jos. A. Bank, Chipotle, Starbucks - are we at SummitWoods in Lee's Summit?!  heh.

lame, but oh well, the area needs some more mundane, neighborhoody businesses - i guess?  i'd hate for a $850M project to have too many things i can find in Independence.
Let's be a little realistic here.  These stores exist in downtown areas just as much as they do in the suburbs.

Jos. A. Bank:
366 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017

GNC:
20 locations in Manhattan

Starbucks:
well over 100 stores in Manhattan

Chipotle:
16 locations in Manhattan
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kccrackednut »

This city could use a good dose of vitamins.  For that reason the GNC is at least symbolically important.  If it's located next to the Fudgery, the GNC might improve life expectancy in the urban core.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

eliphar17 wrote: Wow I thought there would be rabid anger about the GNC. Congrats to everyone on their remarkable restraint, I guess.
Personally, I've just finally gotten to the point of accepting the realization that donwtown is getting Village West East.  And I'm done waiting for an ESPN Zone or Hard Rock announcement.

Also congrats to the people that have restrained themselves from saying, "downtown needs this".
rhine
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by rhine »

What is the guesstimate percentage of tenants that have been officially announced vs. not yet announced (if not in terms of numbers, then sq. footage)? Does anybody really know outside of Cordish?
Think ahead.

Proverbs 3:5-6
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

From the sounds of the article in the star this week, I would guess cordish is working hard to bring in a HOB to the midland.  I would call that a prize tenant.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^ that was my first thought too.  I still think Cordish is going to announce some big names towards the end.  Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to land atleast two big names (which is all the really need to distinguish the district).
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Guess what...downtown residents are driving to the burbs to get some of these stores....we don't drive to go to bars and restaurants...we have a ton of those things....we need basic services too.

The bars and restaurants like HRC, ESPNZone, etc. are more for the visitors to downtown....residents were worried there would be nothing for them....now that we are getting those things, we are complaining?

These aren't the hard hitting tenants that will make you oooow and ahhh, but they are needed to make a good mix for residents and visitors.  I don't need soccer mom from Lee Summitt to drive downtown and visit Jos A. Bank....but right now, downtown residents and workers are limited in that area of retail.....honestly, we have a very good variety of bars and restaurants already (not that I'm not hoping for even more)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

We need smoothies!  Cordish, give us a Jamba Juice...please. 

Plaza Ford Ideal is a local business.  Polished has another location in Burbank, CA. 

Anyway, if we don't get a HoB, at least bring in a B.B. King's. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: ....now that we are getting those things, we are complaining?

you founded this forum, and this behavior suprises you? i have been just sitting back laughing at this thread, even as all the amazing stuff leaks out that we are getting in the p&l, and all the basics we keep getting announced, all these things that are indeed going to make downtown a 24 hour downtown, all we hear is bitching.

ummm, i would have been so elated if i still lived there to hear the list coming. it is a damn good mix of local, national, specialty, and basic services. the man is delivering what he said he would all along. and we are complaining because there is a lot of basic stuff. real nice.
chrizow wrote: yeah...GNC, Jos. A. Bank, Chipotle, Starbucks - are we at SummitWoods in Lee's Summit?!  heh.

do you live downtown chriz? i did for over 10 years. you know how goddamn excited i would have been to hear this list? this is not even 10% of what is already confirmed, you are getting all these new things and calling it lame. you are the lame one. as kcp said, how many people that live urban have to drive and commute outside the cbd to go to a gnc, a dry cleaner, etc. and you are knocking it?? like city living said, other downtowns have these amenities, why not kc? when i lived in downtown new york city, and i did indeed live on manhattan island for several years, you could not walk half a block without seeing a gnc, mcdonalds, cvs, starbucks, etc. but you will not be happy unless this urban utopia you are trying to create is not 100% nouvelle, creative, cutting edge, and specialty stuff to be found no where else??

you will have that between the amazing amc theater you are getting, the hard rock that is almost assuredly coming, and all the other specialty restaurants on the way. is there a makers mark in lees summit? probably not. or a lot of the other concepts announced.

some of you guys need to really chill out and appreciate it. and quit bitching about the price tag. it is an urban redevelopment. it would have been costly as fuck no matter what they did.
Last edited by kcdcchef on Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

...or maybe take some initiative and open a nouvelle, creative, cutting edge, specialty store themselves downtown...some folks really do sound like babies complaining about P&L.
tompendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tompendergast »

CityLiving wrote: Jos. A. Bank:
366 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
I always thought that location was funny, if not just misplaced. It's at around 46th and Madison, in the midst of the midtown "city club" district, which contains most of New York's private university and city clubs (Yale Club, Harvard Club, University Club, Cornell Club, &c.).  As a result, the neighborhood always has been the site of many very high-end gentleman's stores, like the flagship six-storey Brooks Brothers at 44th and Madison, J. Press at 45th and Madison, Paul Stuart at 45th and Madison, and several very expensive English clothiers.  The little Joseph A. Bank store never quite seemed to me to fit in with these other stores or the character of shopping in that section of Midtown.  It also clearly doesn't do as well as those other stores, which are far more popular with the Ivy League club set and the public in general.
"Mistrust those in whom the urge to punish is strong." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcdcchef wrote: you founded this forum, and this behavior suprises you? i have been just sitting back laughing at this thread, even as all the amazing stuff leaks out that we are getting in the p&l, and all the basics we keep getting announced, all these things that are indeed going to make downtown a 24 hour downtown, all we hear is bitching.

So what?  That's all you ever do.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I think chriz has a point, and so do you, chef.  the tenants chriz mentioned are pretty mundane and standard for a city.  Necessary and needed, yes!  But pretty standard.  I am excited to have them Downtown, but I think the rest of us are waiting for the "Ooo and Ahh" tenants.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

Kard wrote: I think chriz has a point, and so do you, chef.  the tenants chriz mentioned are pretty mundane and standard for a city.  Necessary and needed, yes!  But pretty standard.  I am excited to have them Downtown, but I think the rest of us are waiting for the "Ooo and Ahh" tenants.
Don't worry, when they come, they will be too bland, too plastic, or lacking something or other.

No matter what they are.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

From the list of tenants there is a lot of diversity. I do think that the basics are needed in downtown just as the flash is. The wow factor is nice but can you take home a roast, russet potato's, corn on the cob, lettuce, and a cherry pie from a high end night club to cook yourself dinner. No. the thing lacking even in downtown Topeka is a grocery store. it seems that the grocers move out just as soon as the downtown starts to grow. It is nice to see the Constantino's, GNC and others locate in a downtown to give those that live there the option of staying downtown instead of having to journey out to the subburbs to shop.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Rusty wrote: Don't worry, when they come, they will be too bland, too plastic, or lacking something or other.

No matter what they are.
Yeah, probably.  I don't care about those, though.  I care about the others that will (hopefully) open up off the District...places like Al Dente, Grinders, Habitat, etc.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator