Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Transportation topics in KC
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Post by moderne »

First steel for road deck support placed in tower.  Looks like this bridge will have a lower clearance than the old Paseo. Guess there will not be enough clearance for all the cruise ships! Too bad the Paseo could not have been saved.  Already the contrast is that the old suspension is light, graceful, and curvaceous, while the new is angular, heavier and rigid.  We could have had masculine and feminine bridges.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Too bad the Paseo could not have been saved.  Already the contrast is that the old suspension is light, graceful, and curvaceous, while the new is angular, heavier and rigid.  We could have had masculine and feminine bridges.
I agree.  If this was STL we'd be getting two new bridges, or at least a single 8 lane bridge...rather than this cookie cutter.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They have driven dozens of steel columns in the river between the tower and the left(north) bank.  Guess this is to support the roadway as is it built.  But how will they do this to south?  They surely cannot block the navigation channel.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Both the Broadway and Paseo bridges closed on the same day.  Watch out for the metal plates southbound.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Giant crane on the way via barge.  Shipped overseas from Holland, up the Mississippi to St. Louis, and now up the Missouri River to KC.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

http://www.manitowoccranes.com/MCG_MC/D ... 0_8078.pdf
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

Dan Brown and Associates has posted a paper about the testing and drilling of the shafts supporting the new bridge pylon:

http://danbrownandassociates.com/archives/683
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I do not understand engineer-speak, but does this say anywhere that they accounted for scouring due to the river bed of the over-enigneered river keeps dropping especially in the DT stretch?
This is the first time I saw that the bridge span is going to be assymetrical.  From the tower south towards DT is about 100 feet longer than the span from the tower to NKC.
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

I couldn't understand much of it either, but have read elsewhere they dug down 65 feet into the bedrock.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: I do not understand engineer-speak, but does this say anywhere that they accounted for scouring due to the river bed of the over-enigneered river keeps dropping especially in the DT stretch?
This is the first time I saw that the bridge span is going to be assymetrical.  From the tower south towards DT is about 100 feet longer than the span from the tower to NKC.
Isn't it the floor actually dropping at a rate of like 1-2 feet per year now...or is that way too much?

Another question: Its not like the bottom is "eroding", because the "Depth" of the river remains the same...right?  Isn't this phonemona where the bottom is actually dropping/lowering, and taking the water with it (leaving everything practically the same..except for a physical shift in the depth-above-sea-level of the river bottom?)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I dunno about how much the rate of drop is, but I think you ar correct in the second paragraph.  To me it seems that the obvious cause would be the artificially narrowed channel makes the flow much faster that leads to the strong current pulling the riverbed sediment away.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: I dunno about how much the rate of drop is, but I think you ar correct in the second paragraph.  To me it seems that the obvious cause would be the artificially narrowed channel makes the flow much faster that leads to the strong current pulling the riverbed sediment away.
I remember hearing somewhere though that it occurs naturally much further upstream too, and that they're not sure why.  Its an explained phomena. 

I agree that river sediment always gets pulled away from making the channel artifically deeper, narrower, and faster...but that sediment gets replaced by sediment from upstream, and when its dug out it actually increases the depth of the river.  This phomena is where the river bed actually "Drops"...keeping the total water depth the same...but the river bed geographically lower based on how much it drops.
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I actually remember reading about it from the KC Water Dept.  They had to add 2 new pumps further out in the water because the old ones were no longer fully submerged or something like that...due to the river dropping and the shoreline increasing.
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is this going to be a fan or harp cable design?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I keep meaning to get down and see the giant barge crane but I am not up that way much. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They are now tearing down the old Paseo overpass/left side entrance to freeway.  I hope this means that the new Paseo entrance will be on the right side.  Maybe 29/35 north will be 2 lanes to that point and the entering Paseo will form the 3rd lane?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

moderne wrote: They are now tearing down the old Paseo overpass/left side entrance to freeway.  I hope this means that the new Paseo entrance will be on the right side.  Maybe 29/35 north will be 2 lanes to that point and the entering Paseo will form the 3rd lane?
Yea, the new config will take Paseo under 29 in a short tunnel and it will merge on the right side to a lane that will not drop till Front Street.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A 4th webcam is up with a south view towards the new Front St interchange.
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

moderne wrote: A 4th webcam is up with a south view towards the new Front St interchange.
I missed that addition. Thanks for the tip!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

^ i don't see anything at that url that's remotely related to the discussion thread.