The Jones Ultra Pool

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: The Jones Ultra Pool

Post by geeman68 »

chrizow wrote: i've seen much crazier shit at the westport sunfresh. 
DITTO!!!  :shock:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody is going to stay away from costintinos because of jones...what a joke. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Nobody is going to stay away from costintinos because of jones...what a joke. 

No, they won't.  But, I might not take my kids up to the park on the other side if it's party central.  Of course, that probably wasn't really meant to be a park from the beginning.  Someone will probably turn that into a lawn bowling pub club like I've been to in MSP.  Oh well, downtown isn't for families anyway.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Its an isolated incident either way...
Correct me if I am wrong but is this not the second weekend in a row that we have had members of this forum encounter Jone's UP patrons passed out below deck in the middle of the day?  Last weekend didn't the kid make it to the sidewalk level?  At the current pace, I am not sure that "isolated" is an appropriate description - especially since this is just the reports of forum members doing their shopping. 

Also enlightening to other conversations around the questions surrounding the local constablery finding multiple instances of critically overserved patrons lying around outside this joint, yet every bar competing with P&L is getting their balls squeezed by liqour control?  What happened to all of those advanced, super tight security practices around the P&L that were being tossed about around here to justify them being above the sort of scrutiny being dropped on everyone else?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man its getting deep in here.  Maybe its not isolated?  I haven't seen it first hand but if its happening often, definitely changes should be made to their serving policies or staffing on other levels of the garage.

Man this site groupthinks something, it gets going quick.....

At least we are open minded....wow.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It's just a hunch but this may have happened again yesterday afternoon.   I walked down to Cosentinos and came in by way of the garage.  They had the main entrance from the blocked off.   I went around through the side doors (by the restrooms) and when I circled around to get a cart I saw that there were security guards in that area and someone in hazmat gear was cleaning up some sort of liquid near the RedBox.

We were at The Jones for a company party last week and I overheard a few different people ask about getting parking validated.   "We don't validate.  Just go downstairs to Cosentinos and buy a pack of gum and they'll do it."    So if nothing else, they're hurting Cosentinos by making them pay for the parking of Jones patrons.

BTW the doors to the park were unlocked while I was up there so I walked out there to look around.  With the view it has it has great potential as an outdoor gathering/event space.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Jones validates.  Maybe it was party organizers saying that???

If jones staff did say that, that is shitty of them.

The pool wasn't open to the public yesterday....

If this is how the forward thinking uppwardly urban are taking this place, any doubt why this city can't have an open mind and move forward on ideas?  Really getting my eyes opened on this one.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I guess I missed the memo that informed us that if we didn't want our Official Urban Booster membership card revoked we have to like every development that occurrs DT and that if any DT development produces negative side effects we have to smile and sing Kumbaya.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes that's what I am saying.

Go against the groupthink of this forum equals that comment I guess.

I wasn't aware the jones was the only development that creates any downside downtown and a couple of overindulging drunks at 3pm was too much negative to overcome.

Seriously...the majority here HATES this place and its patrons...so piling on goes on unchecked.  Great if that's what you want....I just don't want to go along with it.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Jones validates.  Maybe it was party organizers saying that???
I heard a waitress say that and I also heard the guy at the front counter say it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That is poor....send a comment to their email and cordish?

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

"kumbaya, ma lord, kumbaya...."

My maybe humble opinion.  I'm a regular at Cosentino's.  I've seen lots of "the Joneses" shopping in the grocery.  Most have been pretty to look at and some appeared pretty smashed.  The worst I've encountered is a group of loudmouthed, barebacked, drooping short dudes saying mo-fo this and mo-fo that in waaay too loud voices.  I was embarrassed for them and the parents/sensitive others who encountered these louts.

As far as the kids are concerned, the scars resulting are likely less than the education they receive.   As a youngin', I saw drunks puking on the streets outside downtown clubs in good times and bad.  For me, it mainly engrained a notion that I didn't want to grow up to be as pathetic as those souls.  The experience didn't totally prevent me creating my own special public displays of stupidity, as I've tossed my cookies in a couple of elevators, but I believe it made me more responsible for myself than I otherwise might have been.

Yeah, it's a situation that has to be moderated by the Jones operation, and unfortunately Cosentinos will have to corral and counsel these patrons of the neighbor upstairs.  No different than they will likely have to deal with the occasional forum members that stroll in for a bottle of the Smokestack series, after scoring too many notches at the Flying Saucer.

Ain't city life great?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Seriously...the majority here HATES this place and its patrons...so piling on goes on unchecked.  Great if that's what you want....I just don't want to go along with it.
You aren't the only one standing up for the joint.  I am pretty sure you could have dropped The Jones UP down in pretty much any city in America outside of Orange County and Las Vegas and gotten pretty much the same mixture of reaction - some people who think it sounds like great fun and some people who think it sounds like a ridiculous din of superficiality and excess.  Any concept with "Ultra" in the title is probably going to seem pretty undesireable to folks who don't fit that scene, and I don't think that is a KC specific phenomenon.  Perhaps the Rag has a higher than average ratio of folks who don't fit that scene.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You aren't the only one standing up for the joint.  I am pretty sure you could have dropped The Jones UP down in pretty much any city in America outside of Orange County and Las Vegas and gotten pretty much the same mixture of reaction - some people who think it sounds like great fun and some people who think it sounds like a ridiculous din of superficiality and excess.  
this has been the most common sentiment here - "not my style, but bully for them."  sure, there are a few barbs at "striped shirts" or "sorostitutes" or whatever here and there, but you see the same kind of stereotype-based banter about everywhere. 
LenexatoKCMO wrote: Any concept with "Ultra" in the title is probably going to seem pretty undesireable to folks who don't fit that scene, and I don't think that is a KC specific phenomenon. 
i do think places that try to come off as "Ultra" and "VIP" and "exclusive" are basically asking for the ire of the masses, as are their patrons.  the entire idea behind this sort of thing is "i'm attractive and am wealthy (or like to pretend i am attractive and wealthy), and like to hang out with like-minded folks in an exclusive environment - i.e. an environment that excludes those not like me."  i'm not saying all patrons of these places actually think this way, but i bet a lot do.  not only is this attitude laughable on its own, but it's particularly laughable in a place like KC. 

i've stayed out of this recently for the most part, but i disagree that "jealousy" has much to do with it for most of us.  i am not jealous whatsoever of people paying $15 to drink expensive drinks next to a swimming pool downtown.  once again, i am glad it exists for those who like it, but you could not pay me to go there.  i also wish more interesting places would open that try to cater to a crowd other than the "Ultra" set or the lowest common denominator "bar-goer" set.  last night there was a place in detroit on "no reservations" that was a combination bar, music venue, restaurant, and "feather-bowling" venue.  KC needs some more new places with a more interesting angle.  there are more non-Ultra people downtown and around midtown than Ultra, i can guarantee that. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fair enough.  Guess I just don't like the piling on when most of us are here for the same reason...to see the core grow and prosper...I see these new and unique concepts as a way to draw more types of people (even if I don't hang out with them) to add to the success...when I see this group almost to a man hating on it, it seems closeminded to what I think is most people's goal here.

This place and almost every other new place can improve itself to help downtown even more.

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fair enough.  Guess I just don't like the piling on when most of us are here for the same reason...to see the core grow and prosper...I see these new and unique concepts as a way to draw more types of people (even if I don't hang out with them) to add to the success...when I see this group almost to a man hating on it, it seems closeminded to what I think is most people's goal here.

This place and almost every other new place can improve itself to help downtown even more.
I concur.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chriz...you honestly feel the common theme has been 'not my place but glad its here'?? Really?  I haven't seen that at all from most...unless 'i hate this place' is supposed to mean something I am not aware of.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote: Chriz...you honestly feel the common theme has been 'not my place but glad its here'?? Really?  I haven't seen that at all from most...unless 'i hate this place' is supposed to mean something I am not aware of.
I think it's pretty clear that taken in context, "I hate this place," can mean very much the same thing as, "Not my place, but I'm glad it is here." Don't you think? It isn't unusual for folks to express a slightly exaggerated opinion of distaste that obviously doesn't represent actual hate of the, "Oh my god I hope it fails," variety.

For me, the perception of a double standard is what is infuriating. Whether that double standard actually exists, I don't know, but if people keep barfing up passing out in and around the parking garage, elevators, and sidewalks around Cosentinos, Regulated Industries is going to have to do something.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

While I don't see them stepping in as a bad thing, why would they, they don't anywhere else...time of day make a difference?

The only things I have ever heard r.i. Getting involved in is bar violenece and underage drinking.

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCPowercat wrote: time of day make a difference?
Duh.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.