What'd be cool to have downtown?

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

They had plans to build a big gothic Eifel Tower looking thing in downtown LA about 3 years ago with a huge angel on top, but I guess it went nowhere once the economy started to tank.

Sometimes I think these types of towers are overdone, but everyone likes to go up in them - including me.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I think they may be overdone, too, but something like what Que is envisioning, using the fountain theme, which is almost uniquely Kansas City, would be different. I'm just having trouble visualizing the thing- Do you have a drawing or anything you could put up here?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

maybe we could combine the ideas and build an observation tower thats like the statue of liberty and make it spew out water into a lake below it? :)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

That looks like the black fortress of the Skeksis in the Dark Crystal.

Please don't give me the same bad dreams I had when that movie came out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Needed one tonight...

Ice cream shop.....damn I wanted to walk down somewhere and get an ice cream....

wow, that's 'cool' in more than one way :roll:
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

heh
how about a mini arcade/sports area in a skyscraper? kids can go in (with parents) and play and give money to the good of downtown :)
oh another idea, why dont we have people in newly put in lofts pay 1 penny tax every time they pay for downtown? :)
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

umm, how about a ESPN Zone
two sports stadiums for our favorite teams :)
how bout a christmas tree on main? or in front of city hall? (in addition to the big one in crown center)
i'd like holiday ornaments like we used to have (just see the vintage kc photos)
2 500-700ft skyscrapers by the Muse of Missouri statue and make it like the Rockefeller Plaza of KC :)
underground acces like being able to walk through with retail and resteraunts (but keeping most above ground)
a giant cross to be like our arch or washington monument :) (maybe 300-400ft tall :))
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

A giant cross? Don't we already have enough Christian fundamentalists in these parts without creating a tourist destination for 'em?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

nope :)
my dads a preacher too so, or maybe a giant flapole that would be cool (not as tall as what mound city will have which is over 300ft) maybe 200'

this is what i had in mind
kcmajic
Surface Lot

Post by kcmajic »

Along with a cool new arena.

An ESPN SportsZone. . . . (owned by Disney/ABC)

And a stronger to tie Walt Disney to KC. There is some renovation going on with his laughograms, (not quite sure where that building is located). Why not something like an indoor Disney museum/park. Or even an Disney Quest as in chicago. Something for the kids....
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

maybe a small theme park at midtown? :) that would do alot especially with World's of Fun and Ocean's of Fun to go along with it (think about the money for the city 8))
How about the Mickey Mouse House? (kinda corny) lol

We need some kind of federal thing too, like maybe an AFB (in addition to whiteman) or another military base :)

ESPN Zone would be awsome, i've been there in WDC
Maybe also create a fast transportation system to and from the airport? (like a very fast train :))

They also could make an elevator on the KCTV Tower and add a deck near maybe the 900' mark? (or maybe thatd be too close to the signals?)
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

In history, KC had two other urban amusement parks...both eventually failed.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

QueSi2Opie wrote:In history, KC had two other urban amusement parks...both eventually failed.
I'm trying to remember... Fairyland and Oz? Are the ones you mean?
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

SonicBoi wrote:I'm trying to remember... Fairyland and Oz? Are the ones you mean?
Fairyland and Electric Land.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
SonicBoi wrote:I'm trying to remember... Fairyland and Oz? Are the ones you mean?
Fairyland and Electric Land.
Oh yeah! Thanks!
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Electric Park

Post by FangKC »

The actual name was Electric Park--not Electric Land. It was successful for a time. However, it burned down and the owners could not afford to rebuild.
There is no fifth destination.