Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Rolling Roof supporters claim that Kansas City could compete for a Final Four if the roof is approved. What do you think?

Yes
80%
No
16%
I don't participate in polls
4%

Total votes: 49

bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Post by bbqboy »

The 88 finals were a bone to KC on the 50th anniversary. The NCAA policy is to place all FF in Domes since then.
The idea of being outside, even if under a roof, seems laughable.
Indianopolis made a tremendous bid to unseat the NCAA, while our city fathers
sat on their hands. KC had assumed since it was a home grown organization
They were loyal to the City.
...but Money Talks, eh?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Future Final Fours are at Reliant Stadium in Houston and Ford Field in Detroit. Both seem to be similar stadiums to what Arrowhead is, or am I wrong?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Ford Field's enclosed isn't it? Reliant Stadium, hmmmm. Didn't know that one.
Wonder how they'll do that?
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KCMax wrote: Future Final Fours are at Reliant Stadium in Houston and Ford Field in Detroit. Both seem to be similar stadiums to what Arrowhead is, or am I wrong?
Both are BRAND NEW.. STATE OF THE ART..  retractable roof stadiums.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm not sure state of the art matters that much. The Super Dome and RCA Dome have both hosted recent Final Fours and those facilities frankly suck.

MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KCMax wrote: I'm not sure state of the art matters that much. The Super Dome and RCA Dome have both hosted recent Final Fours and those facilities frankly suck.
I think maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  How are any of these even remotely similar to Arrowhead?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

MidWestSider wrote: I think maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  How are any of these even remotely similar to Arrowhead?
They are all football stadiums - thats about it. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Does the NCAA prefer a Downtown location for these things?  St Louis last year was all concerned about how their DT would "perform".

I know KC's done the FF many times before, but that was at Kemper...  Still not DT.  But maybe the NCAA's preference has shifted?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Kard wrote: Does the NCAA prefer a Downtown location for these things?  St Louis last year was all concerned about how their DT would "perform".

I know KC's done the FF many times before, but that was at Kemper...  Still not DT.  But maybe the NCAA's preference has shifted?
Kemper only hosted the FF once.  All the other times were 40+ years ago at Municipial.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Kard wrote: But maybe the NCAA's preference has shifted?
are you proposing we build a football stadium downtown?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

MidWestSider wrote: are you proposing we build a football stadium downtown?
No, I don't think that would play well here and I like the Arrowhead "experience", but my impression after the talk in St Louis last year was that the NCAA liked having things to do around.  Which is a bummer when you look at the remoteness of the TSC for visitors.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Showme, why so down on KC lately? 
I'm just so fed up with the leadership in this town.  None of them have any backbone or vision besides the hiccup that occurred with the Sprint Center and P&L District.  Hopefully things change for the better once this thing fails on tuesday. 
Calling a spade a spade.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think a lot of forum members are placing WAY too much importance on the stadium vote. Those that think Kansas City will detoriate with stadium renovations, or without stadium renovations are not seeing the bigger picture. There are tons of great redevelopment projects irrespective of the sports stadiums. If the renovations pass, great, we will have some cool things in a terrible location, but we will still have a great downtown that is on its way up. If the renovations fail, great, we will have a chance to build a downtown stadium that will make our downtown even better. To think that our great city lays in peril on April 5th is ridiculous. Its just a stadium people.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I think a lot of forum members are placing WAY too much importance on the stadium vote. Those that think Kansas City will detoriate with stadium renovations, or without stadium renovations are not seeing the bigger picture. There are tons of great redevelopment projects irrespective of the sports stadiums. If the renovations pass, great, we will have some cool things in a terrible location, but we will still have a great downtown that is on its way up. If the renovations fail, great, we will have a chance to build a downtown stadium that will make our downtown even better. To think that our great city lays in peril on April 5th is ridiculous. Its just a stadium people.
i keep saying this, there is already over 4b in kc development going on, and the east village, another half a bil, just got moving, and there is still talk over lrt and riverfront development. the stadiums getting renovated as is will kill nothing.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: i keep saying this, there is already over 4b in kc development going on, and the east village, another half a bil, just got moving, and there is still talk over lrt and riverfront development. the stadiums getting renovated as is will kill nothing.
If this is the case, then a strong argument can be made for MUCH lower subsidies for the teams, be that at the TSC or downtown.  If we're doing great as is, why do we need to pass such a large tax for professional sports?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: If this is the case, then a strong argument can be made for MUCH lower subsidies for the teams, be that at the TSC or downtown.  If we're doing great as is, why do we need to pass such a large tax for professional sports?
pro sports are a seperate entity then downtown or civic redevelopment. the teams need money to make the stadiums, nice as they are, up to date with amenities like newer stadiums have.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: pro sports are a seperate entity then downtown or civic redevelopment. the teams need money to make the stadiums, nice as they are, up to date with amenities like newer stadiums have.
OK.  If we're going to spend the money, spend it downtown.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: OK.  If we're going to spend the money, spend it downtown.
so then close down kci, no money for projects near worlds of fun, get rid of the zoo, close down starlight theater, no need for the university of missouri kansas city anymore, the plaza should be bulldozed, westport should be burned, etc?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: so then close down kci, no money for projects near worlds of fun, get rid of the zoo, close down starlight theater, no need for the university of missouri kansas city anymore, the plaza should be bulldozed, westport should be burned, etc?
KCI, the Zoo, UMKC are not for profit enterprises. The Plaza and westport are not asking for hundreds of millions of dollars from taxpayers.

Try again, see what else you can find protruding from your anus.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: KCI, the Zoo, UMKC are not for profit enterprises. The Plaza and westport are not asking for hundreds of millions of dollars from taxpayers.
try again. we spend millions in tax dollars on both the airport and the zoo. in 1989, the jackson county taxpayers approved tens of millions in tax money for the zoo, so, we spend a lot on them.

the plaza and westport, we dont spend any money on streets, sanitation, law enforcement??