Questions Fail - Downtown Baseball?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

If the Apr 4 ballot questions fail, and another question, for a downtown ballpark emerges, how would you vote?

Yes - build it!
60%
No - screw it!
40%

Total votes: 65

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Questions Fail - Downtown Baseball?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

bahua wrote: No, it's not Glass' decision. We're paying for his team's facilities, and we hold the deed. He has already established, through his posturing, that he's not willing to pay for anything. He wants the better part of a billion dollars, which will easily offset any amount he's claimed to be contributing, with no expressed assurance of anything in return, except the honor of his horrible team staying in town.
Boy, you are really desperate now.  The taxpayer portion for the baseball stadium is far south of even a $500M amount.  Somehow you have grown it to what I would guess well over $500M given your comment above.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote: it is just the prevailing attitude that KC is just fine without a vibrant downtown
Kansas City can have a vibrant DT without a stadium.  Afterall, the current plans for DT have taken place without a stadium so it should survive without it.  Or are you actually saying DT will not survive without it?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I am sure that with or without a stadium, downtown will do just fine!! 

However, I fear that if Q1 fails,  THERE WILL BE A STADIUM DOWNTOWN......downtown San Antonio!
KC is the way to be!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I know one thing that will happen. If they vote no... I will hate every single person who voted no and I will hold no hope for the citizens of the metro any more. I will thereafter seriously consider moving to St. Louis after graduating college.

St. Louis has smarter voters, better pride, and they are getting crap done that we should have done a long time ago.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AllThingsKC wrote: I am sure that with or without a stadium, downtown will do just fine!!

However, I fear that if Q1 fails,  THERE WILL BE A STADIUM DOWNTOWN......downtown San Antonio!
San Antonios proposal was for a stadium out on the highway towards Austin to draw that crowd. Kind of Village West eske.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCDevin wrote: I know one thing that will happen. If they vote no... I will hate every single person who voted no and I will hold no hope for the citizens of the metro any more. I will thereafter seriously consider moving to St. Louis after graduating college.
Don't hold your breath...I do not see this passing.   :?
St. Louis has smarter voters, better pride, and they are getting crap done that we should have done a long time ago.
You are right, but St. Louis also gets A LOT of help from the state.  KC gets very little (if any) help from the state.  Take the dome for example.   ALL MISSOURI TAXPAYERS paid for the thing (without a VOTE), not just ONE COUNTY in the St. Louis area.  And what has that dome done for Missouri?  Other than a Final Four last year, IT HAS DONE NOTHING FOR THE STATE!!!  And yet, in KC, we have a chance to VOTE on taxing ONE COUNTY (not the whole state), and if it passes, we get a Super Bowl/All Star Game/whatever.  Now, which will do more the state?

KCDevin, I would not blame you for wanting to move to St. Louis.  A lot of good things are going on there (including a NEW downtown ballpark).  But, they are not as efficient as KC for the reason I stated above.
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

shinatoo wrote: San Antonios proposal was for a stadium out on the highway towards Austin to draw that crowd. Kind of Village West eske.
Ok...then:

Downtown Los Angeles
Downtown Las Vegas
Downtown Portland
Downtown Austin
Downtown Orlando
Downtown Jacksonville
Downtown Indianapolis
Downtown Nashville
And at this rate, I wouldn't be suprised if it was Downtown Omaha!
KC is the way to be!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Also, if it doesn't pass, I will post a very angry post and never come back to this site ever again. That is, unless they decided to stay in Jackson County and in KCMO.

I see this passing AllThingsKC, the only real advertisement is coming from the Yes side. And unless the people of Jackson county are closed-minded and thick headed, many should be swayed to reason.
However it all depends on how worthless and greedy the voters are...
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCDevin wrote: I see this passing AllThingsKC, the only real advertisement is coming from the Yes side. And unless the people of Jackson county are closed-minded and thick headed, many should be swayed to reason.
However it all depends on how worthless and greedy the voters are...
That was also the case with Bi-State II.  The only real advertising was FOR BSII, and it still failed.  This is why I do not see it passing.   I think the voters of Jackson County (who already don't seem to care about downtown ballpark) will turn this down, even though they were the ONLY county for vote for Bi-State II.
KC is the way to be!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AllThingsKC wrote: Ok...then:

Downtown Los Angeles
Downtown Las Vegas
Downtown Portland
Downtown Austin
Downtown Orlando
Downtown Jacksonville
Downtown Indianapolis
Downtown Nashville
And at this rate, I wouldn't be suprised if it was Downtown Omaha!
LA already has two teams
LAs Vegas doesn't really have a downtown to speak of
Portland won't pass the tax
Austin is to small
Orlando is within two hours of two other failing FLA franchises
Jaxsonville better but still has the FLA Factor
Indi, maybe, they have a track record of stealing from us and huge support of their AAA eam and other major sports
Nashville, maybe, don't know
Omaha, it would give us a reason to visit other than the zoo, and they are over a million with no Major sport. Plus they have like 20 Brazillianares.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCDevin wrote: Also, if it doesn't pass, I will post a very angry post and never come back to this site ever again.
IF that doesn't swing you to a No vote nothing will.  :P
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Allthingskc, i'm not going to listen to someone who is for voting no... Are you one of those?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shinatoo wrote: LA already has two teams
LAs Vegas doesn't really have a downtown to speak of
Portland won't pass the tax
Austin is to small
Orlando is within two hours of two other failing FLA franchises
Jaxsonville better but still has the FLA Factor
Indi, maybe, they have a track record of stealing from us and huge support of their AAA eam and other major sports
Nashville, maybe, don't know
Omaha, it would give us a reason to visit other than the zoo, and they are over a million with no Major sport. Plus they have like 20 Brazillianares.
portland would consider it if there was a real proposal. the people are not pawns that are going to vote to tax themselves for a stadium only to get the leverage miami citzens need to build it.

ditto for charlotte

ditto for las vegas

ditto for san antonio
KCDevin wrote: Allthingskc, i'm not going to listen to someone who is for voting no... Are you one of those?
i am guessing based on his posts allthingskc is a yes vote.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

then why is he saying the voters in Jackson county are complete idiots and are going to vote no?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCDevin wrote: Allthingskc, i'm not going to listen to someone who is for voting no... Are you one of those?
I am planning on voting YES.  But, I still do not see this passing.  I am not the kind of person who votes for the other side just because that's what I think will happen...
KC is the way to be!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Ah, then your saying this applies to the voters of Jackson County:

As I said, if they vote no, then there is absolutely no hope for Kansas City ever reaching it's full potential. We deserve to be as good as Minneapolis or better. We may not reach that in 30 years, but without these people voting Yes, we won't reach that goal in 50 years... Yes, this vote is THAT important.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCDevin wrote: then why is he saying the voters in Jackson county are complete idiots and are going to vote no?
I am NOT saying that Jackson County voters are complete idiots (I am one myself).  And, despite the views from some people on the forum, I think it's great that JaCo was the only county to pass BS II.  I think it showed that JaCo sees the need in keeping the teams where they are.

However, I do not feel the same about this, for some reason.  Maybe it's because every other JaCo voter I know will vote NO.  Maybe it's because I'm just preparing myself for the worst, but I do not see this passing.  I think the fact that it's taxing ONLY JaCo scares some voters.
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

AllThingsKC wrote: I am NOT saying that Jackson County voters are complete idiots (I am one myself).  And, despite the views from some people on the forum, I think it's great that JaCo was the only county to pass BS II.  I think it showed that JaCo see the need in keeping the teams where they are.

However, I do not feel the same about this, for some reason.  Maybe it's because every other JaCo voter I know will vote NO.  Maybe it's because I'm just preparing myself for the worst, but I do not see this passing.  I think the fact that it's taxing ONLY JaCo scares some voters.
bi state II did not have all the hypocrites running around posting inflated doctored numbers to scare the hell out of everybody.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I just hope they vote Yes... If they vote no... Then you can say goodbye to me.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCDevin wrote: I just hope they vote Yes... If they vote no... Then you can say goodbye to me.
Bye