www.saveourstadiums.com

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: www.saveourstadiums.com

Post by kcdcchef »

WSPanic wrote: They have money. They're just treating this like big focus group. If it passes - great for them. If not, they'll have a real go at it in November. Market the thing hard for 6 weeks and see where you stand.
my latest theory on all this madness is they are doing april as a test run.......................if it passes, great. if not, it is all about figuring out HOW to get it to pass in november or next april.

focus on demographics, cemantics, all that junk. but, we will see. the vote yes side is picking up steam, i question how much steam it will need in weak economic times. all i can say is thank god jackson county voters have such a long history of voting yes on stuff like this.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Don't worry, the teams won't leave the Kansas City area.  They'll jus' pick up their ball (literally) and move across State Line, just like every other metro business does when Missouri fails to be proactive and instead uses the "too little, too late" reactive approach. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Good, let KS deal with this never-ending headache of greed and corruption.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

mean wrote: Good, let KS deal with this never-ending headache of greed and corruption.
Welcome to the United States of America! 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Sportster wrote: Isn't Glorioso a paid City Hall staffer now - doing something in Kay's office. (don't go there - its a visual none of us need :shock:)
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 874019.htm

Steve Glorioso, an aide to Barnes...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

lock&load wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 874019.htm

Steve Glorioso, an aide to Barnes...
Yes, he his now a city employee.  He is essentially her Karl Rove, a function he provides for many KC politicians.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Kard wrote: I just drove down Ward Parkway.  There's about 15 of these signs stuck in houses near Meyer Circle.  Thanks, Lenny!
Are these really in peoples yards or are they just squating on boulevard land?  Isn't there an ordinance or something against littering park land with signs?  It looks so pathetic.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

beautyfromashes wrote: Are these really in peoples yards or are they just squating on boulevard land?  Isn't there an ordinance or something against littering park land with signs?  It looks so pathetic.
but it would look great, and draw praise from everyone on the board, except for me and akp, if they were dt stadium signs...........
mean wrote: Good, let KS deal with this never-ending headache of greed and corruption.
no thanks. when the end of all this handout of tax money comes to a horrible end in 20 years or so and the county and the state is flat broke from decades of tax incentives to steal businesses from kcmo, believe me, it will be ugly out there, since a large chunk of taxpayers will have moved back across the state line.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

kcdcchef wrote: but it would look great, and draw praise from everyone on the board, except for me and akp, if they were dt stadium signs...........
Actually, no, I can support people putting signs in their yards but mass dumping of signs on public property sucks.  And it's not just every 10 blocks or so.  It's every other block.  Ward Parkway looks about like I-70 between KC and STL right now with all the signage.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

beautyfromashes wrote: Actually, no, I can support people putting signs in their yards but mass dumping of signs on public property sucks.  And it's not just every 10 blocks or so.  It's every other block.  Ward Parkway looks about like I-70 between KC and STL right now with all the signage.
Stop and pull them all out and throw them away :)  Speaking of those signs, I saw one in a store window today, I guess it's time to start a list of businesses supporting the tax, and add them to my do not visit again list.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Are these really in peoples yards or are they just squating on boulevard land?  Isn't there an ordinance or something against littering park land with signs?  It looks so pathetic.
It is legal to remove any sign (Lose Weight Fast!) that is on city ROW.  The space between the sidewalk and the curb is city property.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

lock&load wrote: Speaking of those signs, I saw one in a store window today, I guess it's time to start a list of businesses supporting the tax, and add them to my do not visit again list.
Please post or publish that list.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Stop and pull them all out and throw them away :)  Speaking of those signs, I saw one in a store window today, I guess it's time to start a list of businesses supporting the tax, and add them to my do not visit again list.
it really is sad, how low you guys will go when you do not get your way. the downtown council, the group you guys have been having a love fest with in this forum for 4 months, is possibly going to endorse the truman sports council idea. that will not convince you to call off your dogs??

i myself have said it more then once.............if it ever came down to a downtown ballpark, and that is the way it was going, ie, the goverment of kc and jacko, was behind it, along with the teams owners, i would not jump infront of the bulldozers, or chain my self to parking lots or something dumb like that.......so, why if this is how the masses are going to go, in this election, or if it fails, come november, why fight it so hard?

are 20-30 of you going to kill this thing? man, i hope a lot of businesses you guys LOVE AND ADORE adorn their windows with these pro stadium ideas, then, only you will suffer for your actions. and noone else. 20-30 or even 50 people off this board saying they will no longer use a certain business will not hurt them. it really will not. because your purchases are not frequent enough to affect their profit and loss statement.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: it really is sad, how low you guys will go when you do not get your way. the downtown council, the group you guys have been having a love fest with in this forum for 4 months, is possibly going to endorse the truman sports council idea. that will not convince you to call off your dogs??
I have my own mind and can make decisions for myself, I do not need the Downtown Council to do so for me.  It is regrettable that they may decide to support the TSC plan, but that will in no way influence my decision.

The shoe shine shop in the Commerce Bank Building is sporting a savethestadiums.com sign.  Although I have never had my shoes shined, I will nonetheless remember that sign should I ever need that service.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

lock&load wrote: I have my on mind and can make decisions for myself, I do not need the Downtown Council to do so for me.  It is regrettable that they make decide to support the TSC plan, but that will in no way influence my decision.

The shoe shine shop in the Commerce Bank Building is sporting a savethestadiums.com sign.  Although I have never had my shoes shined, I will nonetheless remember that sign should I ever need that service.
No different then Kevin Gray boycotting Enterprise.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kcdcchef wrote: it really is sad, how low you guys will go when you do not get your way. the downtown council, the group you guys have been having a love fest with in this forum for 4 months, is possibly going to endorse the truman sports council idea. that will not convince you to call off your dogs??
It's not "going low" it's "actively participating in democracy".

And the downtown council is a joke if they support the TSC. I'd rather they risk it all and fight for what's right than try to maintain whatever marginal political capital they have by being swept up in the CYA game.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Did anyone catch the debate with Jack Harry the other night.  Kietz absolutely demolished Shields and Reeder.  All Shields and Reeder could come up with to support the tax was the ol' fear mongering "if it doesn't pass we will lose the teams" BS.  When they couldn't point out where the Royals would be moved to, Shields stooped to suggesting they would be contracted.  Kietz pointed out that MLB has put contraction to bed and that Glass himself was one of the biggest opponents of it - the county folks had nothing in response to that.  They then had the temerity to suggest that the Chiefs would be moved to LA.  Kietz pointed out that the LA mayor has promissed that not a dime of public money would be spent on a stadium there and asked Reeder if he honestly believed Hunt would be in a big hurry to spend several hundreds of millions of his own money to build a new stadium just so he could leave a town that that continues to make him millions every year.  Reeder of course didn't have much of a response. 

If the county hopes to sell this thing solely on the threat of loosing the teams, which appears to be their plan, they are going to have to really get their shit together on coming up with some credible threats.  If the best they can come up with is a rather timid hint that the chiefs could wind up on the other side of town and no real threat at all regarding the royals, the fear won't be very intense. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Did anyone catch the debate with Jack Harry the other night.  Kietz absolutely demolished Shields and Reeder.  All Shields and Reeder could come up with to support the tax was the ol' fear mongering "if it doesn't pass we will lose the teams" BS.  When they couldn't point out where the Royals would be moved to, Shields stooped to suggesting they would be contracted.  Kietz pointed out that MLB has put contraction to bed and that Glass himself was one of the biggest opponents of it - the county folks had nothing in response to that.  They then had the temerity to suggest that the Chiefs would be moved to LA.  Kietz pointed out that the LA mayor has promissed that not a dime of public money would be spent on a stadium there and asked Reeder if he honestly believed Hunt would be in a big hurry to spend several hundreds of millions of his own money to build a new stadium just so he could leave a town that that continues to make him millions every year.  Reeder of course didn't have much of a response. 

If the county hopes to sell this thing solely on the threat of loosing the teams, which appears to be their plan, they are going to have to really get their shit together on coming up with some credible threats.  If the best they can come up with is a rather timid hint that the chiefs could wind up on the other side of town and no real threat at all regarding the royals, the fear won't be very intense. 
As Anita would say, that's pathetic.

But I think they're doing a great job with the fear.  I'm very worried.

Does anyone know how the Vote No movement is organized?  I'm not satisfied with the current offer and want our elected officials to go back and fight harder with the owners.  I've heard of the anti-tax folks...I may contact them.  But these stupid signs are starting to irritate me.  There needs to be some adverts going the other way...realistic adverts that say "County!  Try Harder!"
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, we need to confiscate more signs on Ward Parkway.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I want a big green yardsign that says, "GREED!" Vote no on question 1.