Eggstc

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Eggstc

Post by beccanator »

Scrambled eggs and potatoes? That's it?

What other tasty comestibles grace the menu of Eggstc?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

beccanator wrote: Scrambled eggs and potatoes? That's it?

What other tasty comestibles grace the menu of Eggstc?
They have a lot of fancy schmancy, hoity-toity gourmet omelets too. But I usually just have scrambled eggs with bacon and potatoes.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Jake Edwards moved into the old Torre's Pizza at 83rd and Wornall.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Tosspot wrote: They have a lot of fancy schmancy, hoity-toity gourmet omelets too. But I usually just have scrambled eggs with bacon and potatoes.
i love hoity-toity omelets.

there is a place in columbia that serves a fierce omelet:  shittake mushrooms, asparagus, truffle oil, and some fancy cheese.  mmmm.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Eggtc. concept set for round two

JOYCE SMITH/The Kansas City Star

Gregg Johnson’s third concept didn’t quite get off to a rousing start.

On Saturday, two waitresses didn’t show up and computer glitches had the young staff writing out orders. Penmanship and abbreviations were not always the best or consistent — so Johnson shut down the restaurant early.

But Eggtc., at 5107 Main St., now is working out the kinks and creating a synergy with its neighbors, Minsky’s Pizza Cafe & Bar and Osteria Il Centro, which Johnson also owns. Eggtc. is open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and books in the evening to groups that can choose from all three menus or a custom menu for their private parties or events.

Eggtc.’s menu includes breakfast items such as omelets, breakfast pizza, biscuits and gravy, quiche, bagels, breakfast sandwiches, crepes and pancakes; the lunch menu offers a range from cheeseburgers to grilled chicken sandwiches and avocado mango salad.

The former Jake Edwards Bar-B-Que spot has been completely remodeled with commissioned artwork, a fireplace, three flat-screen TVs, and a music system. Jake’s has relocated to Waldo.

“One of the things I’m trying to achieve is a breakfast place that has atmosphere,â€
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Growing pains, I guess. It took almost an hour from walking in the door on sunday to actually getting our food. It was their first sunday open ever, so these things happen.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Went there today with the wife, kid and mom.  Got a booth right away, but it had a decent crowd.  Nice place.  Booths were the perfect size...big.  Service was good.  They all seemed to help out covering for each other.  But it was not packed like tosspot experienced. The Eggs Benedict was good. I had the traditional and mom had the Florentine. Yum, but what isn't with Hollandaise?  Good coffee..great mugs.  Fruit was fresh. Potatoes were weak..totally dry and right out of a bag.  They really have to fix that.  Almost a deal breaker.  Sourdough bread my wife had was weak too.  It looked like texas toast and too fluffy. Easily fixable.  I'd go again though.  The only thing about the atmosphere that blew was the piping in of "techno". UGH...  Not what I'm looking for in the morning. How bout some good old Jazz from KC?  :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I ate here Saturday for lunch. Very cool atmosphere. Didn't have the techno this time, they had some mellow jazz. I also had the eggs benedict, and they were fantastic, some of the best I've ever had. I also appreciated the coffee. The place was packed when I was there and there was also a lot of pedestrian activity outside which was cool.

But the service totally sucked. I was seated at the bar by the hostess, and no one helped me for ten minutes. I finally got the bartender's attention and instead of apologizing she asked me, "did someone seat you here?" Every five minutes some server was coming up to the cashier and saying they messed up an order. Apaprently one lady was very upset because they messed up her smoothie twice. People that paid at the cashier had to wait a long time just to pay. The bartender was all flustered the whole time I was there. They just seemed overwhelmed by the crowd. Probably growing pains, and the food and atmosphere were good enough that I will be sure to make a return trip.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I've been here twice since my last post and the service has improved 200%. Their Cobb Omelet is fantastic. Every time I've gone there has been a pretty good crowd, even today on a rainy Friday afternoon.

Don't sit at the bar though. The girl working that still has no idea what she's doing.

Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Ate there Sunday.  Better food than Sharp's or Westport First Watch.  Prices about the same or a little higher.  Service pretty good, but our chick was way hungover.  It happens.
Algernon
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Algernon »

I've been there three times and plan on making it my new weekend breakfast spot.  They have the best omelets in the city, in my opinion.  The Athena omelet rocks - I haven't been able to try anything else there because it's so good.  Feta cheese, kalamata olives, onion, red peppers, mmmmm.  My mouth is watering just anticipating the weekend.  :) 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

eggcetera at 51st/main

Post by ignatius »

It's been discussed but I couldn't find a thread on this so thought it deserved its own.

Two items really stand out here - spinach breakfast crepes and breakfast burrito.  But get these with the optional fruit cup instead of the country potatoes.  It's really disappointing they use frozen stale potatoes as their dishes deserve much better.  Freshly thin sliced potatoes on the grill would be perfect.

I've had a spinach/feta omelette one time and it was passable.  Needs to be mixed in and eggs more fluffed up.  The chorizo/eggs were also just soso.  But they do have Cholula on hand to save the day.

Anything else there that stands out? 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: eggcetera at 51st/main

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've been meaning to go here for a long time, and tried last weekend but we arrived to find a note on the door stating an electrical problem and they had to unexpectedly close.  I might try again this weekend.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I visit this place probably more than any other in Kansas City. The service is awesome now (it was god awful at the beginning), and I love the breakfast burrito, the Crepe Cena, the Cobb omelet and the eggs benedict. They also have really interesting specials all the time. The interior is great and cozy. I can't recommend this place enough. Expect a 30 minute wait on the weekends though.

MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I go fairly frequently with co-workers after working a night shift.  Nice to show up at 7am on Sundays and have a few mimosas before the church crowd rolls in. 
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Do you find the frozen potatoes acceptable?  I'm really disappointed as good as the dishes are, they are so substandard.  Salty Orida frozen potatoes are far better than what they serve.

I go for the fruit cup instead.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm not a stickler for potatoes, but yea, they're just okay. Try the sweet potato fries. I think they only come with lunch, but ask and they might serve them with the breakfast stuff.

Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

This is a weekend staple for the BF and I, we usually hit it up after our morning walk (if you see the sweaty, flushed, gym short-and-ponytail-clad girl with the perfectly in shape, not breaking a sweat, runner-y-looking guy, stop and say hi). It's my favorite, and most frequently visited sit-down restaurant in KC, which is funny, because I've never really been a breakfast girl. AND, I even forgive the weekend wait, when I usually don't bother with places that have that kind of wait. It's good enough to make me patient.

I love, love, love the Cobb omelet, I get it almost every time.  It has (correct me if I'm missing something) walnuts, avocado, Monterey Jack cheese, bleu cheese...delish.  A couple of weekends ago, they had a curry omelet on special, and I tried that, and wish it was on the regular menu...it was filled with lightly curried potato slices, pepper slices, and onion slices, from what I could tell.  I think the first time I was there, I had pancakes with ricotta, which were good, but I'm more a savory than sweet person when it comes to breakfast/brunch. My boyfriend, a creature of habit, loves the despierto burrito so much that he really never goes outside that realm.

I'm in the minority, but I prefer the breakfast potatoes to the rather anemic fruit cup, which always seems to be mostly red grapes and a few chunks of unripe honeydew when I get it.  They'd be a lot better if they were fresh-sliced, but I can handle frozen if you doctor it up with seasoned salt like they do.  We usually drown 'em in that hot sauce they have on all the tables, anyway.

Do they serve Parisi cofee, or Roasterie?  It's really good, in any case.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I enjoy Eggstc.  I've enjoyed several items and glad they are still a popular little spot.  Mmmmmm.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Went there at 11 on Saturday for lunch and was very pleased.  Had a turkey burger with sweet potato fries, both of which were great.  I also tried a bit of the wife's four-cheese omelet and it was awesome too.  Will definitely go back... I had no idea this was here.  it's pretty close to me, too, so bonus there.