"Truman Blvd"??

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by ComandanteCero »

eh, and this all comes back to the proposed Truman Blvd because........
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCDevin

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCDevin »

lol i dunno, i was just joining in on the corrections ;)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by trailerkid »

Thinking about the feasibility of Truman Blvd...

Wouldn't the decking, tunneling and rebuilding Truman be as big if not bigger project than originally putting the freeway loop in to begin with? It seems that something of this magnitude would cost billions in addition to wreaking havoc on the South Loop area by cutting traffic off to P+L and the Sprint Center for years.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCPowercat »

well almost all the bridges going over 670 are being replaced within the next couple years so maybe we could do it all at once? (at least I think they are)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:well almost all the bridges going over 670 are being replaced within the next couple years so maybe we could do it all at once? (at least I think they are)
Then we need to get moving...

Get Kit Bond on this stat! 8)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by trailerkid »

Two problems with the Truman Blvd plan...

Doesn't Cordish have planned parking garages lining the existing Truman/670 corridor?

The bottom of the Sprint Center will sit next to Truman Road creating something of a blank wall for a large portion of what is considered to be "Park Avenue" type stretch of downtown.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by ComandanteCero »

well, from what the architect dood said at the forum, he said they were trying to make the Arena interact with all four sides (not just the P+L side) since they were going under the assumption that someday development will grow on all sides. They keep talking about a green space/ water thing that runs all along it, so it might act as a green space for the blvd.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by GRID »

Article today also mentioned that new Bartle ballroom has been adjusted to accomodate the new Truman Blvd.

This thing is really gaining steam. Just think of the day when new condo towers are going up along 670 and Truman.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by eliphar17 »

trailerkid wrote:Doesn't Cordish have planned parking garages lining the existing Truman/670 corridor?
GRID wrote:Just think of the day when new condo towers are going up along 670 and Truman.
The plan for the P&L District is surface parking lots just north of 670 initially, to be replaced by residential towers as GRID envisions along what will someday be Truman Boulevard.
KCDevin

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCDevin »

With Truman Boulevard, this also means they will have to spread out the residential towers instead of confining them to 2-3 blocks. :)
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by eliphar17 »

KCDevin wrote:With Truman Boulevard, this also means they will have to spread out the residential towers instead of confining them to 2-3 blocks.
What? They are deliberately confining them to the blocks along the future Truman Boulevard... what do you rather they do? There's only one block that doesn't have a high-rise planned for it, and that's the KC Live! (shudder) block:

12th & Main = two residential
13th & Baltimore = Hotel President + H&R Block phase 2
13th & Main = H&R Block phase 1
13th & Walnut = KC Live!
14th & Baltimore = Empire Theater + residential
14th & Main = restaurants + residential
14th & Walnut = retail + residential

Edit - This new rendering shows what I'm saying (thanks to GRID):

KCDevin

"Truman Blvd"??

Post by KCDevin »

I wouldave rathered they confined them to other blocks, and built new ones along Truman Boulevard :)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: "Truman Blvd"??

Post by trailerkid »

Redeveloping the 670 should be on the top of our list. The same energy that was put into developing the South Loop should be put into bringing strong development to synergize the South Loop with areas of the Xroads.

This:

Could look something like this:

Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Nice work with those pictures :wink:
I would truly love for the Truman Blvd. plan to come to life.  This should be a top priority.  We have the chance to combine the crossroads with the CBD to create a large, truly urban district.  I don't know what the costs would be, but I'm sure it's worth it.  I know I'd be willing to pitch in some money  :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the mayor mentioned a new Truman Blvd as one of her top 9 priorities...this is very good news for this project.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

I still think this is putting the cart before the horse.  Allow new development to come right up to the edge of the highway trench on both sides and see how it feels before sinking this kind of money into a project. 

Fortunately this is starting to happen on the north edge, with P&L and the arena.  But I think the width of the actual trench versus the perceived width of the swath is deceptive.  You aren't just seeing the trench itself, you're also seeing vast parking lots and a few scattered buildings.  The trench itself takes about 30 seconds to walk across.  Make the bridges nicer with wide sidewalks and maybe a landscape buffer between the sidewalk and the edge of the bridges and call it good.

Maybe this "if you build it they will come" mentality will work here, I don't know. . .
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Say what you will about Barnes, but this woman has vision and the cajones to do something about it. Barnes will leave her mark on KC. Hopefully, she will set the standard when it comes to downtown development and future leaders will pick up the ball and run with it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Barnes has just been pulled on the coattails of the people who were here before her.  You can't give her credit for Crossroads, or the River Market, or urban renewal.  It would have happened if she was the mayor or not.  I hate that people give her all the credit for the forward thinking of architects and business owners and artists and real estate individuals who have started to turn this city around.  All shes done is hitch her wagon to a carvan that would have moved just as fast without her.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Long wrote: I still think this is putting the cart before the horse.  Allow new development to come right up to the edge of the highway trench on both sides and see how it feels before sinking this kind of money into a project. 

Fortunately this is starting to happen on the north edge, with P&L and the arena.  But I think the width of the actual trench versus the perceived width of the swath is deceptive.  You aren't just seeing the trench itself, you're also seeing vast parking lots and a few scattered buildings.  The trench itself takes about 30 seconds to walk across.  Make the bridges nicer with wide sidewalks and maybe a landscape buffer between the sidewalk and the edge of the bridges and call it good.

Maybe this "if you build it they will come" mentality will work here, I don't know. . .
I disagree...

Why would you develop property when the city has already been vocal about redeveloping the entire area? That'd be like putting your business smack dab in the middle of 14th and Grand in 2001. The area south of P+L is a complete mess and we need to deck that thing. Not demolish every building in sight, but get the plan in motion.

Further, this plan would be applicable for MoDESA money as it redevelops a blighted part of dowtown into a destination and specifically improves pedestrian and automobile transit (decking process). We should be able to get a similar amount of MoDESA as P+L got. Further, the Feds should give use back even more money to deck the freeway as it was one of the main causes of our deterioration of our downtown in the first place.

I think the "theme" of this block should be a little more upscale and uptown than the P+L district. An area with bistros, high end boutiques, and maybe even an upscale department store like Nordstrom or Saks. Of course, this would be topped off with some high-end modern condos similar to what you'd find in Portland. I'm thinking of something that combines the Plaza's charm with the modern urbanity of Portland.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

beautyfromashes wrote: It would have happened if she was the mayor or not. 
then why diddn't it happen for the past 15 years?