LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I’ve heard that nickname before…from the ignorant and immature. The Liberty Memorial is a beautiful monument that is largely ignored by Kansas City and this is one of the reasons why. For some reason, many Kansas Citians enjoy ripping the memorial when it should be one of our most important assets. I visit often to take photos or just relax on the observation deck, my children enjoy it as much as the Arch in StL and I always take out of towners there and they are just amazed by the structure and it’s views. The new museum will only make it better. Oh and every time I visit, there are far more tourists than KC people there.

So next time somebody calls it that, please try and change their perception of the memorial and why it was built (it has an amazing history as well).
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Ignoring your disrespectfulness, the Liberty Memorial is a beautiful neo-classical structure that compliments Union Station. Its restoration brought great pride and it is the best place to view downtown KC. We visit each spring and fall with a picnic lunch, a trip to the top and a camera for great pictures.

I wish the front lawn facing Union Station was used for more community events, great setting.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

[quote="GRID"] enjoy it as much as the Arch in StL quote]

That's the thing, the Arch is recognized nationwide and perhaps around the world. If you flash up a pic of the memorial no one would recognize it. KC needs to do some BRANDING because right now we're a wadded up pair of Jordache jeans while everyone else is rocking Tommy or Levi's.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we're a wadded up pair of Jordache jeans while everyone else is rocking Tommy or Levi's.
I disagree with that...maybe you were talking about St. Joe. the CVB does need to do a better job though. Maybe new leadership will provide that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KCPowercat wrote:
we're a wadded up pair of Jordache jeans while everyone else is rocking Tommy or Levi's.
I disagree with that...maybe you were talking about St. Joe. the CVB does need to do a better job though. Maybe new leadership will provide that.
Nope, we really have no outside identity that says in 2004 YOU NEED TO BE IN KC.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Ok, I know eveeryone will be pissed at me, but its not like I care so anyway, the liberty memorial is basically one of the most boring and forgettable war memorials I have seen. I personally prefer the Rosedale Arch to it just because it is more unique.

Yes it is big, but is it something that sticks out in your head as something you want to take a picture of, and remember? Not for me, I personally only visit there to get an awesome view of the skyline.

By the way, look at the cover of the Feist Yellowbook to see which memorial they prefer as well.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMW...is the Washington memorial in DC also forgettable?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i have to kind of agree with DMW.

the Liberty Memorial is a pretty so-so structure in itself, IMO. it attains its majestic, larger-than-life quality due to its history and purpose. it is a bland structure that becomes much less bland when you reflect on what it stands for. i also think it gets a lot of its aesthetic value from the fact it is perched on a giant hill with great views.

that said, i think it IS a landmark, even if people dont really know what it is. the Abdiana building is a landmark in KC, and i don't really know what goes on there. my cynical chicagoan roommate noticed the memorial when we came up for FF, and thought it was very cool. when i told him what it was for, he thought it was even better.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ok, I know eveeryone will be pissed at me, but its not like I care so anyway, the liberty memorial is basically one of the most boring and forgettable war memorials I have seen.

What is a memorable war memorial other than the ones in DC? I can't honestly name another one in any other city.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I feel its a great monument that KC has sadly ingnored for many years. The structure didn't fall apart overnight, but did so because of the failure of the parks and rec department.

The north lawn does need to be reconfigured to improve accessibiity for sure. And the city, county, and state need to do more to use it as a symbol for this area, and as a monument of historic sigificance.

KC is really screwed up in terms of its pride in its history, and civic pride in general. We're always looking for the "next big thing" while dismissing or hiding the amazing heritage we ought to be proud of. KC turned its back on its historic ties to the rivers. We've turned our backs on our heritage as a frontier town, the stepping off point for westward expansion, and yes, cows. The Kansas City area has a rich history, and a we're moving in an exciting direction. Why can't we celebrate both?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I usually stop to visit the memorial when in town. I like the views and I'll check out the museum when it's open. My German friends enjoyed it and took pictures. I don't think memorials are, in general, meant to be exciting and wild. It should be quiet and have a reflective mood.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well said tat2kc, I couldn't have said it better myself.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCMax wrote:
Ok, I know eveeryone will be pissed at me, but its not like I care so anyway, the liberty memorial is basically one of the most boring and forgettable war memorials I have seen.

What is a memorable war memorial other than the ones in DC? I can't honestly name another one in any other city.
Indianapolis for one.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

True story about the Liberty Memorial.

My mother in law has 3 sisters and a brother. Her parents were a preacher family in Fort Scott, Kansas.

Brother Herb died a few years back, sisters are spread far and wide over the country, but they all remember vividly and in great detail their mother making them all four matching dresses for which they got REAL fabric instead of flour sacks and brother got a new suit, they all got new shoes and rode the train all the way to KC for the dedication of the new memorial.

They now range in age from 76 to 86 and are still in pretty good health, except for Aunt Alice who was diagnosed in December with pancreatic cancer but is still travelling, etc.

It is quite fun to listen to them argue about the colors of their hair ribbons, etc for that day.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I guess you guys have also forgot that it is the ONLY WWI memorial in the world (official memorial)...

If you took Liberty Memorial away, there wouldn't be anything to honor the men who died...

Why are Americans today so stupid and ignorant? They don't care about WWI, the Civil War, the Revolutionary War, the Spanish-American War, the French-Indian war, or even WWII and Korea... We need to recognize the most important men in the history of our nation...
Who gives a rats a** what the memorial looks like? The Arch looks like one of Mussolini's planned projects for Rome but no one complains...
What really matters is what a monument STANDS FOR.

I guess you won't ever understand the importance... Go to Arlington and you will find real, true Americans...

BTW, I posted WWI photos of different nations because they are just as important as American soldiers and are ALL honored at Liberty Memorial

It's more than just some 217ft smoke emitting shaft... It's a symbol of freedom and true patriotism...
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Post by KC_Fan »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:It's really serving no purpose, nobody ever goes there....
Not true. I jog in this park every night after work and I see at least 20-30 people just hanging out on the plaza around the monument, just enjoying the nice view of the city and some of the fountains on the grounds.

I was shocked too, though. I didn't think anyone would be there. And, by the way - these aren't the stereotypical "Penn Valley Park Perverts" that you all from the suburbs dream up. They are families, senior citizens, kids and the like.

Go to the memorial around 6-7pm any weekday and you'll actually see people there enjoying the memorial.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Post by QueSi2Opie »

deadmanwalking wrote:Ok, I know eveeryone will be pissed at me, but its not like I care so anyway, the liberty memorial is basically one of the most boring and forgettable war memorials I have seen. I personally prefer the Rosedale Arch to it just because it is more unique.
The Rosedale Arch isn't "unique"...it's a smaller replica, or copy, of the Arc de Triomphe (Arch of Triumph) in Paris, France!

The Liberty Memorial was dedicated to WWI veterans when President Calvin Coolidge spoke in front of the memorial on November, 11th, 1926. You can also see the Liberty Memorial on numerous clips in films like "Article 99" (Ray Liotta, Kiefer Sutherland, Forest Whitaker), "Mr. & Mrs. Bridge" (Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward), and "The Day After" (Jason Robards, Steve Guttenberg, John Lithgow).

The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Those of you who think it is boring and forgettable; what exciting and unforgettable monuments are you comparing it to? I find the design timeless, classic, yet modern.

Yes, the arch is a recognized landmark but the trip to the top and the lines stink.

I understand the organization to build the St. Louis Arch was formed because of all the attention that Kansas City received from the Liberty Memorial. The arch is a few hundred miles away from the gateway to the west though.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

What's funny is that some of you suggesting it IS NOT a relatively uncreative structure are the same one's who cried through several boxes of Kleenex because a crossroads grocery store wasn't designed to your liking.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I guess it could have a revolving restaurant at the top.......perhaps a national chain? Applebee's maybe. Yes!