Downtown Q3/4 (re-)occupancy needed - service industry needs love

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Downtown Q3/4 (re-)occupancy needed - service industry needs love

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:41 pm National hotel occupancy has been improving, however...

- It's starting to level off
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR) is below 50% compared to July 2019
- Daily rates are 27% below last July
- Interstate hotels/motels are generally doing better than downtown hotels that depend on events
- Lower tier hotels generally doing better than higher end hotels

Anyone have recent downtown KC stats?

A Marriott hotel operations group I'm invested in is surviving by running a skeleton crew, which did mean some essentially lost their jobs or working less (not really any choice). Most guests are apparently understanding of hotels operating with skeleton crews in return for lower than typical rate. The review ratings for the related hotels are actually going up even though typically high beforehand.

https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article111802.html
That's actually considerably better than I had expected. The leveling off is probably due to the re-explosion of the virus throughout much of the US. I suspect the hotel industry will be cyclic based on the perceived risk at any one given time until CV19 is no longer an issue.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Highlander wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:10 pm
earthling wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:41 pm National hotel occupancy has been improving, however...

- It's starting to level off
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR) is below 50% compared to July 2019
- Daily rates are 27% below last July
- Interstate hotels/motels are generally doing better than downtown hotels that depend on events
- Lower tier hotels generally doing better than higher end hotels

Anyone have recent downtown KC stats?

A Marriott hotel operations group I'm invested in is surviving by running a skeleton crew, which did mean some essentially lost their jobs or working less (not really any choice). Most guests are apparently understanding of hotels operating with skeleton crews in return for lower than typical rate. The review ratings for the related hotels are actually going up even though typically high beforehand.

https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article111802.html
That's actually considerably better than I had expected. The leveling off is probably due to the re-explosion of the virus throughout much of the US. I suspect the hotel industry will be cyclic based on the perceived risk at any one given time until CV19 is no longer an issue.
Does this count any that are temporarily/permanently closed now? If so, that’s a bleaker picture.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Likely factors those permanently closed. Not sure about temporary.