Million plus Square Foot Dist Center in KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Million plus Square Foot Dist Center in KCK

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote:good luck getting workers to that site -- a mile from the nearest bus stop -- even with "substantially more than minimum wage" pay.
How many would actually take the bus if they could?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:good luck getting workers to that site -- a mile from the nearest bus stop -- even with "substantially more than minimum wage" pay.
How many would actually take the bus if they could?
we'll see when they start asking to extend bus service there. this is playing out in industrial parks all over the city.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote:The Biz Journal states it's a tenant that pays double the minimum wage. That's not Amazon. And it's 2.3M space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... first.html
So is this double the minimum wage quote false? I'm seeing reports saying they are paying just above min wage.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This says $11-$14/hour for Amazon fulfillment centers, so 'up to' double maybe.
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Emp ... -Associate

And another that says $12/hour avg...
https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Am ... O11,32.htm

This says Walmart avgs about $17/hour for order filler at distro centers...
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Emp ... ourly_Rate

This says $16/hour avg for Walmart warehouse...
https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Wa ... KO8,24.htm
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Know someone who recently took a job at a Walmart distribution center. He was previously working at a higher pay position at a printing place but left because of long term prospects plus he went to a day shift instead of nights. Didn't get into what the actual pay was but it had to be decent given what he had going for him at the previous job.
And where this distribution center is located there is no mass transit anywhere around. And there is one in Harrisonville without mass transit around.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

So the real question is, will we get Amazon Prime Now/same-day delivery?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

bobbyhawks wrote:So the real question is, will we get Amazon Prime Now/same-day delivery?
The bigger question is will this stick around beyond the 10 year Tax Abatement
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:So the real question is, will we get Amazon Prime Now/same-day delivery?
The bigger question is will this stick around beyond the 10 year Tax Abatement
Touche.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Know someone who recently took a job at a Walmart distribution center. He was previously working at a higher pay position at a printing place but left because of long term prospects plus he went to a day shift instead of nights. Didn't get into what the actual pay was but it had to be decent given what he had going for him at the previous job.
And where this distribution center is located there is no mass transit anywhere around. And there is one in Harrisonville without mass transit around.
i'm not sure what you're implying based on this one person you know, but every time a large warehouse/industrial/low-wage employer locates away from the existing transit network they eventually start asking for more transit service to get workers to the site. just ask any EDC...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

DaveKCMO wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:Know someone who recently took a job at a Walmart distribution center. He was previously working at a higher pay position at a printing place but left because of long term prospects plus he went to a day shift instead of nights. Didn't get into what the actual pay was but it had to be decent given what he had going for him at the previous job.
i'm not sure what you're implying based on this one person you know, but every time a large warehouse/industrial/low-wage employer locates away from the existing transit network they eventually start asking for more transit service to get workers to the site. just ask any EDC...
It could very well be that the type of employee this business will attract and hire will not be the type to depend on mass transit. Notice, you say "low-wage". Not sure how you define that as to amount of pay but there are warehouses in this area that do not rely on or need mass transit to attract their employees.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
It could very well be that the type of employee this business will attract and hire will not be the type to depend on mass transit. Notice, you say "low-wage". Not sure how you define that as to amount of pay but there are warehouses in this area that do not rely on or need mass transit to attract their employees.
LOL. They hire exactly the type that depend on public transportation. Twice the minimum wage is still poverty. Not easy to buy dependable automobiles when you are making like 30 grand a year.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I have to wonder if a company that employs 1200 people at 14$/hour is really something you want in your community. I certainly would not crow about this if I was a politician. KS should definitely aim a lot higher.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote:I have to wonder if a company that employs 1200 people at 14$/hour is really something you want in your community. I certainly would not crow about this if I was a politician. KS should definitely aim a lot higher.
because same-day delivery.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote:I have to wonder if a company that employs 1200 people at 14$/hour is really something you want in your community. I certainly would not crow about this if I was a politician. KS should definitely aim a lot higher.
It's very libertarian. Say yes to any private business that wants to help move your goal forward, even if not ideal, precisely because it's the business choosing to do that. Now there's 1200 empty currently lower paying jobs that now compete with $14/hour. The unified government got people more pay and didn't force a higher minimum wage employers will fight, instead some will need to do it on their own.

There's college degree jobs asking for years of experience at $18/hour. This will be lower education and getting close to the same.
If lower education jobs inch up this should put pressure on higher education jobs over time too.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

i can't imagine a lot of communities would turn down 1200 jobs paying $14/hour, especially one like Wyandotte County.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Of course you don't turn down those jobs but do you offer incentives to get those jobs?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Of course you don't turn down those jobs but do you offer incentives to get those jobs?
That.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'd be ok with them giving incentives for the jobs except they moved from inside the state!
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

I get the feeling that if this deal had been done in Missouri, people wouldn't be searching for any negatives they can find.

They aren't building the facility in Leawood. KCK will be happy to have the jobs, I don't think they're worried about the "quality" of employee that's working there. They actually put the facility very close to many of the people that will be interested in working there.
grovester wrote:I'd be ok with them giving incentives for the jobs except they moved from inside the state!
They were going to give Amazon a large incentive package to stay in Coffeyville anyways so it's a moot point, not to mention them tripling their presence in KS since that facility closed. Amazon wants to be close to larger cities now.

The only people that might be upset about this are other businesses that will be affected by same day shipping and possibly grocery delivery. Even then, most of those companies should be looking into leveraging Amazon for their own business as long as they don't see Amazon as a direct competitor.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I saw an article that said some business sold 24,000 hammocks on prime day most likely at a loss. I can't believe that many people are buying hammocks. The real winners when it comes to Amazon shopping are the ones who garage sale because I guarantee that hammock will be at plenty of garage sales in the next few years for 5-10 bucks.

Amazon - First World junk made by Third World countries.
Like seriously, what kind of morons are buying this garbage at these prices https://www.amazon.com/Pi-People-Pie-Pan/dp/B00GTB1X8C
I would buy it for a buck or 2 at a garage sale/resale shop but $25 give me a break.