Ward Parkway Mall just sighed up

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Anyone been to Ward Parkway Center recently?

Post by trailerkid »

Does anyone know what has/is going on with the first level of WPC? It looks as if the entire first level of Ward Parkway will be "demalled." There is a proposal on the DDR web site creating 3 new large big box spaces(similar to what was done facing State Line) facing Ward Parkway on the first level of the center to the north of Dick's. This means everything facing Ward Parkway would be big box and accessable only through external entrances. It seems like the entrances facing Ward Parkway with the escalator was often used by AMC moviegoers. Don't know how that will work...

Here is the Ward Parkway Center site plan in PDF...
http://www.ddr.com/centers/missouri/war ... y_site.pdf

Doesn't it also seem like a Borders would go over really well at Ward Parkway? The closest one is on Metcalf in Jo Co and a big, nice bookstore would further bring Ward Parkway back as a neighborhood center people aren't embarrassed of anymore. Bookstores mix well with theaters, Starbucks and the like as well as bringing in quite a bit of foot traffic.

I really like Ward Parkway because it is so old and am a bit nostalgic of its "glory days." They could really hit critical mass if they added a book store and some (try one!!) restaurtants.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Did Stein-Mart pull out? It shows their space empty. I have not been there since Christmas.
I hated the way they left the exterior on the west side. The literal remnants on old mall was just split in half. I hope the outside will look better than they left it.
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Ward Parkway Center

Post by Karin »

Ward Parkway Mall should lease space to more upscale tenants instead of catering to discount and low end stores like Target, TJ Maxx, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Pier One Imports.

A Von Maur department store or a Younkers or Parisian as anchor tenants would attract more shoppers and businesses and would most likely reestablish the mall as the competitive retail center it used to be.
K. Valentine
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Ward Parkway Center

Post by SonicBoi »

I didn't realize Pier 1 or dick's were low end.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Ward Parkway Shopping Center

Post by Karin »

The owners of Ward Parkway Mall should consider the addition of an upscale and elegant anchor department store like either Von Maur, Famous Barr, or Younkers (a Saks Fifth Avenue division store) to its mix of tenants. Since the area is comprised of residents with an above average income, the mall could certainly support these more exclusive stores.

In addition, the center would benefit from more restaurants (perhaps a Piccadilly Cafeteria), jewelry stores, a Borders Book Store, and a charming cafe or two. A theme restaurant like Rainforest Cafe in Oak Park would be an asset to Ward Parkway too.

Also, the owners should definitely keep the mall enclosed and not convert anymore of the building to an open air center. The climate controlled malls make for a more enjoyable shopping experience, especially in a region such as Kansas City with its harsh winters and sweltering summers.
K. Valentine
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Ward Parkway Center

Post by trailerkid »

Karin wrote:Ward Parkway Mall should lease space to more upscale tenants instead of catering to discount and low end stores like Target, TJ Maxx, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Pier One Imports.

A Von Maur department store or a Younkers or Parisian as anchor tenants would attract more shoppers and businesses and would most likely reestablish the mall as the competitive retail center it used to be.
I don't know anything about Parisian, but Younkers is not upscale at all. Pretty much the same or worse than The Jones Store.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Ward Parkway Center

Post by GRID »

What is with everyone crying for "upscale" stores? If Ward Parkway or Zona Rosa had the same store as Leawood Town Center, I would ignore them like I do Leawood Town Center.

There is a reason why there are so many Targets or Dicks or whatever, it's becasue they serve about 95 percent of the population vs those who shop at Nordstroms, Hall or Jacobsons.

Zona did a good job, they have a good mix and you can get the same things at Dick's as you can Galyan's for less.

IMO.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Are Famous-Barr and Jones stores different or exactly the same?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCforumer wrote:Are Famous-Barr and Jones stores different or exactly the same?
Exactly the same as far as I know...same as Foley's too-- May & Co. department stores.
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Ward Parkway Center

Post by Karin »

Does anyone know why the previous owners of Ward Parkway tore out a portion of the mall?

The new format is certainly not as appealing as the old one.
K. Valentine
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

financial reasons. no one was coming to the mall. many shop fronts were empty because businesses ran away. the mall, in essence, failed so they decided to put one tenant store where many once were located

kcteen
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Karin wrote:Does anyone know why the previous owners of Ward Parkway tore out a portion of the mall?

The new format is certainly not as appealing as the old one.
Ward Parkway seemed to be the SKC/Leawood mall for quite some time. The vast development south of 435 stole a lot of gusto from Ward Parkway. It's in an upscale area for housing, but it is just hard to compete with what is going on down south and on the Plaza. I think their strategy now is actually quite good...I just don't understand what in the world is taking them so long to bring Borders in. Maybe the 95th and Metcalf location is too close.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

trailerkid wrote:I just don't understand what in the world is taking them so long to bring Borders in. Maybe the 95th and Metcalf location is too close.
No closer than the Border's at 95th and Metcalf is to the one at 119th and Metcalf, though.
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Ward Parkway Center

Post by Karin »

The new "demalled" portion of Ward Parkway along State Line Road looks really tacky. Not asthetically pleasing at all.

Looks as if they wanted to make it look more like a typical power center or strip mall rather than a neighborhood mall.

When the center was renovated back in the early nineties, the remodeling was upscale. "Demalling" Ward Parkway made it much less attractive and comparable to a discount center.

If the owners wanted to make it more pedestrian friendly, then why couldn't they have made it architecturally appealing? Perhaps renovating the mall to be something like Frontenac Plaza in St. Louis. The size of the mall is similar to Frontenac.
K. Valentine
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Stein Mart is leaving in October. (It's headed to 143rd and Metcalf.) That's a big hole to fill.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

What the heck is Stein-Mart? Sounds bizarre to me.

I don't think there is any more tangible evidence of American disposable mentality than to see malls like this. It makes me sick. There is still so much good housing around the area, but I guess everyone drove out to the farther-out new and sexy malls and left their old ones for dead. How stupid. What a huge waste of space interrupting pristine Ward Parkway.
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Ward Parkway

Post by Karin »

Yes, it seems ridiculous to allow the older malls like Ward Parkway and Metcalf South in the area to decline while new strip malls and so called "lifestyle centers' continue to be built further south.
K. Valentine
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Ward Parkway

Post by Karin »

An article in the KC Star recently mentioned Ward Parkway's lower level is going to be renovated.

A Petsmart is scheduled to open sometime in one of the four vacant spaces.

Has anyone heard what other stores might be coming?
K. Valentine
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Ward Parkway

Post by Karin »

Posted on Fri, Oct. 29, 2004

Ward Parkway Center to revamp lower level
By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star

Ward Parkway Center, a landmark mall that has been updated with new lifestyle stores, hopes to continue its rebirth with a renovation of its lower level.

Coventry II DDR Ward Parkway LLC, which purchased the mall 16 months ago, wants to put four midsize retailers in the 100,000-square-foot space between the food court and Dick's Sporting Goods. It has already signed Petsmart to a 25,000-square-foot space pending approval of its plan from Kansas City.

"Coventry II looked at the center and they surveyed the market and saw that there is a need for specific uses that aren't being met," said Chuck Oglesby, general manger of Ward Parkway Center. "The market is farther-reaching than just the neighborhood, the market that it serves. We have 55,000 people a day going up State Line Road, so that market may reach all the way down to Olathe."

The owners will submit the lower-level renovation plan to the City Plan Commission in November. The owners will relocate Career Education Systems, GNC and Nail Perfection to make way for the new retailers. They have also closed the former AMC theaters on the lower level; AMC still operates theaters on the upper level.

Ward Parkway Center opened in 1959 as an open-air mall and later became one of the first enclosed malls in the country. But in the 1980s it faced increased competition from the larger regional malls.

In 1989, it started a two-year, $31.5 million renovation to help it compete, but stores continued to struggle.

Todd Interests, a Dallas-based investment and development firm, purchased the mall in 1999 when it was at about 65 percent occupancy. Todd was attracted to the demographics within a four-mile radius of the mall & families and high incomes & that would support retail. The company also liked its high-profile location between bustling Ward Parkway and State Line Road.

Todd "demalled" about 80,000 square feet of the property to create a hybrid 'lifestyle' center with a climate-controlled interior mall and the convenience of exterior drive-up retail. The new concept attracted 300,000 square feet of new tenants, including Target, Pier 1 Imports and Dick's Sporting Goods.

In June 2003, Todd Interests sold the mall to Coventry II DDR Ward Parkway LLC, a partnership of Coventry Real Estate Partners in New York and Developers Diversified Realty in Ohio.

Longtime tenant Stein Mart, which had operated on the lower level, recently relocated to Overland Park. "Some other spaces have stayed vacant to give the mall the flexibility it needs to make changes," Oglesby said .

"There will be changes upstairs, landscaping changes, complete visual upgrades to make the overall presentation of the property consistent with the market," Oglesby said.

To reach Joyce Smith, call
(816) 234-4692 or send e-mail to jsmith@kcstar.com
K. Valentine
hermit
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hermit »

tat2kc wrote:I never really understood why Ward Parkway has not been more busy. Its a vey nice mall, well maintained. With the income in the areas sorrounding the mall you'd think it would be packed all the time.
I live in Old Leawood, which is just across the stateline from Ward Parkway.

I can take a guess at why ward parkway is so underpopulated....

Back in the mid-90's, Ward Parkway was JUMPING. I remember it being difficult to get a ticket to a movie at Ward Parkway AMC on friday/saturday nights.
However, with the opening of Town Center AMC in Leawood, many people started going there.
A lot of 'gangs' started hanging out at ward parkway and people from the kansas side simply didn't go back.
They have a security office there and the movie theatre's are very family friendly... but a lot of people have no idea about its excellent security.

Also, I went there to see 'The Grudge' last night and I noticed they had closed up most of the restaurants in the food court. There is actually a physical wall, making the food court much smaller. (just an orange julius, a chinese place, and some tables and chairs.)

I'm not sure of this has been mentioned, so just fyi, there's a 'Dick's Sporting Goods' on the other side of the mall, next to Stein Mart.
Sprint© long-distance?
No, thank you.  I would prefer to have clowns fondle me.