Joe Reardon not running for reelection

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
passerby
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Joe Reardon not running for reelection

Post by passerby »

So given all the Brownback weight Murguia seems to be swinging around, what did you decide?
justin8216 wrote:I voted for Mark Holland in the primary but I'm seriously considering voting for Ann Murguia in the general election. However I need verbal assurances and a written/signed pledge that she will not be bound by special interest groups to push a conservative extremist social agenda in our community. Holland has Democratic credentials... Ann Murguia on the other hand, whom I'm presuming to be a Catholic, may possess extremist conservative views on social issues.

Local elections are non-partisan for a reason. I'm impressed with the redevelopment that Murguia has spear-headed in the Argentine area and would like to give her a chance to replicate that success city-wide. But I'm also concerned that as Mayor she may play favorites with Argentine district.

I'm on the fence for the General Election. And I consider myself to be an opinion leader in the community. So my decision influences the votes of quite a few others. This month leading up to the general election should be interesting.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

passerby wrote:So given all the Brownback weight Murguia seems to be swinging around, what did you decide?
justin8216 wrote:I voted for Mark Holland in the primary but I'm seriously considering voting for Ann Murguia in the general election. However I need verbal assurances and a written/signed pledge that she will not be bound by special interest groups to push a conservative extremist social agenda in our community. Holland has Democratic credentials... Ann Murguia on the other hand, whom I'm presuming to be a Catholic, may possess extremist conservative views on social issues.

Local elections are non-partisan for a reason. I'm impressed with the redevelopment that Murguia has spear-headed in the Argentine area and would like to give her a chance to replicate that success city-wide. But I'm also concerned that as Mayor she may play favorites with Argentine district.

I'm on the fence for the General Election. And I consider myself to be an opinion leader in the community. So my decision influences the votes of quite a few others. This month leading up to the general election should be interesting.
I voted for Holland. But After I sealed my advance ballot in its envelope I wished I could've changed it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It seems like KCK had two reasonable options just like KCMO did in 2011.

Perhaps the new mayor should find something relevant to her experience to do for the city?

It sounds like she did a good job in the Argentine area and it would be irresponsible to give up that experience. Maybe put her on some high level team that makes suggestions on where in the city to focus the city's big projects. Where she gives serious reports to the elected officials that have the weight of someone of note in the community.

With non-partisan elections we need to have a winner but then include all the best people, even if they're a competitor.
They can also be the friendly opposition that government needs.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Pretty sure she's retained her seat on the commision, so she'll obviously be included. There was some debate about the relative merits of her accomplishments. She definitely got things done.
passerby
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by passerby »