Channel 5 hack job on xroads crime

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Channel 5 hack job on xroads crime

Post by grovester »

kcmetro wrote: Hey I agree with that.  Way too many women on anti-depressants these days.  But you know what I mean.  The hard stuff like heroin, crack, meth, etc.
yeah, the drugs that make you crave DMB cds
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

We have those types here on the Plaza - it's like they do not understand the concept of living around other people in an urban area.  I simply cannot understand why they are soooo afraid.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

When I first started working down back in '02 before the CID, my car was broken into twice.  I didn't have anything of value in there so besides having to replace my window, no big deal.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCFan wrote: When I first started working down back in '02 before the CID, my car was broken into twice.  I didn't have anything of value in there so besides having to replace my window, no big deal.
Maybe you're different, but having to replace a window is a pretty big deal to most people.  If I had to replace my window twice because of where I lived, I would move.  No question.  There are just some things I'm not going to put up with, and having my window smashed out is one of them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't leave stuff in your cars anywhere...I've seen broken car windows all over this city and suburbs.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kcmetro wrote: Maybe you're different, but having to replace a window is a pretty big deal to most people.  If I had to replace my window twice because of where I lived, I would move.  No question.  There are just some things I'm not going to put up with, and having my window smashed out is one of them.
those of us on this board that are carfree obviously don't have to worry about such nonsense. sucks to be you, i guess.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

trailerkid wrote: those of us on this board that are carfree obviously don't have to worry about such nonsense. sucks to be you, i guess.
Enjoy riding that bus everywhere.
Last edited by kcmetro on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

your windows don't get broken out because of "where you live."  they get broken out because some moron broke them out - either because you left something out of value, or because you have bad luck.  this happens everywhere in this metro.  my parents have had their windows broken out twice in a sleepy suburban subdivision, whereas i've never had anything happen to my car in many years of living/playing in the city.  it could happen though - but something like a broken car window would never cause me to move.  moving sucks.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chrizow wrote: your windows don't get broken out because of "where you live."  they get broken out because some moron broke them out - either because you left something out of value, or because you have bad luck.  this happens everywhere in this metro.  my parents have had their windows broken out twice in a sleepy suburban subdivision, whereas i've never had anything happen to my car in many years of living/playing in the city.  it could happen though - but something like a broken car window would never cause me to move.  moving sucks.
But Raytown = getto. So whats your point?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote:your windows don't get broken out because of "where you live."  they get broken out because some moron broke them out - either because you left something out of value, or because you have bad luck.
Seriously. I've had windows broken at least once everywhere I've ever lived since I owned a car. If I felt like I had to move every time that happened I would probably just shoot myself.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCFan wrote: When I first started working down back in '02 before the CID, my car was broken into twice.  I didn't have anything of value in there so besides having to replace my window, no big deal.
If you didn't have anything of value in there, why did your windows get smashed in?  People on this board say you'll only get your windows broken if you have valuables within sight.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pissed off girl.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcmetro wrote: People on this board say you'll only get your windows broken if you have valuables within sight.
this is the case a lot of the time, not all of the time.  and it happens everywhere, that's the main point.  somehow it's only news when it happens downtown, though.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote: somehow it's only news when it happens downtown, though.
Keeps property values up in Johnson County.  :lol:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: Seriously. I've had windows broken at least once everywhere I've ever lived since I owned a car. If I felt like I had to move every time that happened I would probably just shoot myself.
:lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

One other tip which I think was a particular issue in this dude's break in - dont ever assume that thieves are smart enough to recognize that your car electronics are cheap pieces of crap - especially aftermarket car stereos.  To Johnny Methhead, that $45 WalMart stereo unit might as well have Bose written accross the front of it.  Last time I had a car broken into, the+ years ago, it was because I was stupid enough to think the punks would recognize that my piece of shit radio wasn't worth taking.  That's way too much credit.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote: this is the case a lot of the time, not all of the time.  and it happens everywhere, that's the main point.  somehow it's only news when it happens downtown, though.
I know a group of people who as kids in the 1990s used to perform drive-by throwings of bricks through windshields / windows for kicks in the wealthier parts of Independence. Must have hit hundreds of cars. Even threw pumpkins through windows in people's houses at 3am. Never made the news once (that was, as I understand it, actually the point--to get their activities on the news).

Car gets broken into and a CD stolen on the Plaza, or in the Crossroads, or downtown... OMG LATE BREAKING INVESTIGATIVE BONER!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: Even threw pumpkins through windows in people's houses at 3am.
that's pretty awesome.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Nothing like scaring the crap out of suburban housewives at 3am with stolen pumpkins from Hy-Vee, I guess.

I also happen to know that many of the bricks that landed in unsuspecting victims' driver seats were marked up with advertising slogans in Sharpie. "Problems with your windshield? Call Acme Auto Glass! 816-FUC-KYOU!"

Mean, nasty kids these were. And if there was any question, yes, they did get caught eventually.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcmetro would move.