Fran's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Fran's

Post by loftguy »

moderne wrote: I threw out a couple of those chairs a few years ago(even had the original pads).  I had no idea they were anything special until I saw them at the Nelson.
You just helped a few modernists discover "apoplectic shock".
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this place looks awesome...I can't wait to stumble in.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

moderne wrote: I threw out a couple of those chairs a few years ago(even had the original pads).  I had no idea they were anything special until I saw them at the Nelson.
The Smithsonian has this storage and greenhouse facility out in MD that I have had to go to a few times for work.  These chairs are littered all over the lawn.  (no pads)  I KNOW they are the originals and they are old, not reproductions.  They are rusting and just thrown around.  They used to be in the old Portrait Gallery courtyard until that was filled in.  I am going to ask if I can take a couple next time I'm out there.  It's really weird.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know we had some discussion about Frans in the p&l threads but probably deserves its own.

walked by this place and it looks awesome inside and some cool signage outside as well.  Can't wait for this place to open for some late night eats.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mod: split the portion on fran's from the 14th & main thread and merged with the new.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: I know we had some discussion about Frans in the p&l threads but probably deserves its own.

walked by this place and it looks awesome inside and some cool signage outside as well.  Can't wait for this place to open for some late night eats.
My favorite part is that a small part of the Toronto local lexicon is opening in Kansas City (of all places). I hope it's a big hit here and eventually we get a few other metro Fran's. A modern, euro-style 24/7 diner with a full bar? Unique idea for sure.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Rumor that Frans is to open this week.

Anyone have the straight skinny?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Rumor that Frans is to open this week.
this article from last week confirms what you've heard, so not really a rumor. :)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Per the manager, Fran's will be open to the public tomorrow Friday the 16th.

Be sure to check out their signage at night.  The neon really fires up this corner.  Fully straight and sober, cruising the district last night was a bit psychedelic.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

pics!!?
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

loftguy wrote: Per the manager, Fran's will be open to the public tomorrow Friday the 16th.

Be sure to check out their signage at night.  The neon really fires up this corner.  Fully straight and sober, cruising the district last night was a bit psychedelic.
What time are they opening?
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

mudjack wrote: What time are they opening?
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local ... px?rss=764
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

neat! perhaps i will stop in for breakfast on my walk to work!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

fran's is having a friends and family thing right now.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: neat! perhaps i will stop in for breakfast on my walk to work!
Did you make it by?  If so, what's your take?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We're going tonight before we go see Where the Wild Things Are.  Will have a report upon return.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We went to dinner around 5:00.  We were the only table there that early, so our server was quite bored and therefore a little overzealous.

Decor:  Quite awesome I thought.  Very "mod" and crisp.  I liked the color scheme a lot, light greens, browns, chrome, etc.  The booths were comfy as well.

Service:  As stated, it was fine, but she was hovering a lot.  Almost to the point I felt like telling her we'd come find her if we needed anything.

Food:  The wifey ordered a tuna salad wrap, I ordered the shepherds pie.  The tuna wrap was served with fries, which were honestly the better part of the plate.  The tuna (I tried it) was watery.  Like they took canned tuna, barely drained it, and wrapped it up with lettuce in a tortilla.  A little mayo mixed in, with some chopped celery or something would have really helped.  My sheperds pie on the other hand was very good.  Flavor was good, portion was adequate, the only bad part to my meal was the side.  It came with fresh steamed veggies - mainly bean pods of some sort, the tough stalky part of broccoli, a diced red pepper or two, and two water chestnuts.  No seasoning, no butter, just fresh steamed veggies.  As for the actual pie part, it was much better than I thought it would be.  Still, I'm probably more likely to order breakfast on my next visit.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

PumpkinStalker wrote: We went to dinner around 5:00.  We were the only table there that early, so our server was quite bored and therefore a little overzealous.

Decor:  Quite awesome I thought.  Very "mod" and crisp.  I liked the color scheme a lot, light greens, browns, chrome, etc.  The booths were comfy as well.

Service:  As stated, it was fine, but she was hovering a lot.  Almost to the point I felt like telling her we'd come find her if we needed anything.

Food:  The wifey ordered a tuna salad wrap, I ordered the shepherds pie.  The tuna wrap was served with fries, which were honestly the better part of the plate.  The tuna (I tried it) was watery.  Like they took canned tuna, barely drained it, and wrapped it up with lettuce in a tortilla.  A little mayo mixed in, with some chopped celery or something would have really helped.  My sheperds pie on the other hand was very good.  Flavor was good, portion was adequate, the only bad part to my meal was the side.  It came with fresh steamed veggies - mainly bean pods of some sort, the tough stalky part of broccoli, a diced red pepper or two, and two water chestnuts.  No seasoning, no butter, just fresh steamed veggies.  As for the actual pie part, it was much better than I thought it would be.  Still, I'm probably more likely to order breakfast on my next visit.

no poutine?
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

I think poutine, for Americans, is something only eaten when intoxicated, kind of like Taco Bell.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Yeah, but where else in the city am I going to get it with the correct gravy as well?

Probably eat there this week for a birthday lunch or something, I need me some poutine.