Denver Skyline

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Denver Skyline

Post by trailerkid »

DanCa wrote: This shows a lot of ignorance regarding the topography of Denver (it's nowhere close to being as flat as Dallas) and to suggest that downtown Denver is nothing more than a suburban office park?  I take it you've never been here!
Denver is bland...flavorless white people, new urban, creating chain restaurant concepts right and left. Denver probably would've been cooler if the 70s,80s, and 90s never happened.

What is the attraction compared to Portland or Seattle? 100% serious question.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

trailerkid wrote: Denver is bland...flavorless white people, new urban, creating chain restaurant concepts right and left. Denver probably would've been cooler if the 70s,80s, and 90s never happened.

Given your narrowmindness I guess you just can't see the attractions.  Given the people I know who have moved there Denver is attractive for jobs and snow.  Much like many around here head to the lakes on the weekends they headed to the peaks to ski.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DanCa wrote: This shows a lot of ignorance regarding the topography of Denver (it's nowhere close to being as flat as Dallas) and to suggest that downtown Denver is nothing more than a suburban office park?  I take it you've never been here!
While it's not as flat as Dallas or especially Houston, it only has appreciable local relief on the west and southern peripheries of the city.  It's more like a big bowl with gradual slopes into the Platte valley from the west and east culminating in some pretty substantial terrain in the Lakewood and Golden areas.  It certainly does not have the frequency of local relief like Kansas City does but the overall relief in the city is considerably greater even if the foothills are not included.  I think most people not aware of the geography of the two cities, would be pretty surprised to see that KC is actually hillier than Denver (e.g., a much busier topographical map) despite Denver's proximity to the Rockies.   
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Given your narrowmindness I guess you just can't see the attractions.  Given the people I know who have moved there Denver is attractive for jobs and snow.  Much like many around here head to the lakes on the weekends they headed to the peaks to ski.
I moved to Denver because of a job in the 80's.  I chose Denver over a couple of other cities because of the climbing opportunities (I was an avid mountaineer/backpacker) and skiing.  Although I loved to do these things, the relentless traffic jam coming back into Denver after a ski weekend or summer hiking weekend really started to grind on me, especially knowing that Monday morning I had to wake-up and do the same thing all over again on the way to work.  I did it less and less as time went by.  My kids want to move there when they leave home because of the urban environment is better than KC's and it has little to do with the mountains.  As someone who would like to eventually retire in KC, I'd love to have something like Denver's downtown so I might have some chance of convincing my kids to stick around.   
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

trailerkid wrote: Denver is bland...flavorless white people, new urban, creating chain restaurant concepts right and left. Denver probably would've been cooler if the 70s,80s, and 90s never happened.

Wow.  More ignorance of Denver.  Talk about stereotyping.  You are aware that Denver is over 40% Hispanic, right?  And I see, on a daily basis, plenty of black people, Middle Eastern, Asian...  Where you get your ideas about Denver is beyond me.  This city has a very large urban environment that's far from all chains.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Highlander wrote: While it's not as flat as Dallas or especially Houston, it only has appreciable local relief on the west and southern peripheries of the city.  It's more like a big bowl with gradual slopes into the Platte valley from the west and east culminating in some pretty substantial terrain in the Lakewood and Golden areas.  It certainly does not have the frequency of local relief like Kansas City does but the overall relief in the city is considerably greater even if the foothills are not included.   I think most people not aware of the geography of the two cities, would be pretty surprised to see that KC is actually hillier than Denver (e.g., a much busier topographical map) despite Denver's proximity to the Rockies.   
I'd say that's an accurate description of Denver's topography.  And the views of the front range can be breathtaking, especially with a great sunset. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

DanCa wrote:Wow.  More ignorance of Denver.  Talk about stereotyping.  You are aware that Denver is over 40% Hispanic, right?
Not that I care particularly, but that sounds off.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

according to wikipedia, denver is roughly:

50% white
23% hispanic
10% black
3% asian
13% other

KC is roughly:

58% white
30% black
9% hispanic
2% asian
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

chrizow wrote: according to wikipedia, denver is roughly:

50% white
23% hispanic
10% black
3% asian
13% other

KC is roughly:

58% white
30% black
9% hispanic
2% asian

I'm seeing on the U.S. Census Bureau that Denver is 31.7% Hispanic/Latino, and on Wikipedia, it says 34.2%.  I thought I'd heard 40% somewhere, and recently on the news that white people were either now or soon to be less than half the population in Denver proper.  Either way, I'm just saying that labeling everyone in Denver as "white" (not to mention boring) is ignorant. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote: according to wikipedia, denver is roughly:

50% white
23% hispanic
10% black
3% asian
13% other
The wikipedia article I just looked at said 72% white.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: The wikipedia article I just looked at said 72% white.
"White Americans made up 72.4% of Denver's population; of which 50.5% were non-Hispanic whites. " 

my math may have actually been wrong on this.  instead of it being 50.5% white, this may actually mean the city is 36% white.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

And what demographic breakdown are we targeting to be most desirable?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

staubio wrote: And what demographic breakdown are we targeting to be most desirable?
no idea.  just showing that denver isn't "white."  although i wouldn't doubt that the gentrified downtown/mall area is pretty white, literally and figuratively. 
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

chrizow wrote: no idea.  just showing that denver isn't "white."  although i wouldn't doubt that the gentrified downtown/mall area is pretty white, literally and figuratively. 
I was just downtown the other day.  They hadn't painted everything white, so there's my first-hand account that this isn't true.  And an Asian man shot and killed a black man in a restaurant the other day downtown... is that enough "grit" for you?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DanCa wrote: I was just downtown the other day.  They hadn't painted everything white, so there's my first-hand account that this isn't true.  And an Asian man shot and killed a black man in a restaurant the other day downtown... is that enough "grit" for you?
my brother lived in denver about 10 years ago near the 16th st. mall area.  he was across the street from a chipotle.  he did report some shenanigans like a stabbing in his alleyway and a huge black girl fight in the street at like 5pm.  fun stuff!  :lol:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote: my brother lived in denver about 10 years ago near the 16th st. mall area.  he was across the street from a chipotle.  he did report some shenanigans like a stabbing in his alleyway and a huge black girl fight in the street at like 5pm.  fun stuff!   :lol:
Note to self: when in Denver, watch out for huge black girls
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

loftguy wrote: Note to self: when in Denver, watch out for huge black girls
if i remember correctly, it was indeed a huge fight involving some huge girls.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

please do not take my words literally. i do not mean them to be taken that way.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

trailerkid wrote: please do not take my words literally. i do not mean them to be taken that way.
good luck.
BTW, The above might be your first post without a shit or fuck in recent memory.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

btw, no one answered my question.

in what area does denver have a leg up on peer western cities portland or seattle?