Attracting corporate HQs

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Attracting corporate HQs

Post by Slappy the Wang »

It's also interesting that while most of KCADC's partners have their own recruitment efforts, KCMO DOES NOT have a full time business recruitment staff as they've opted to focus their direct efforts on retention and redevelopment (not bad things, but they're missing new opps in the process.  Instead, KCMO has basically told KCADC to let them know what they can help with.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Page 5 of KCADC's 2004 Annual Report notes the firms they worked with last year. It was printed in November. Keep in mind KCADC covers an area from North to South from St. Joe to Belton/Gardner and East to West from Blue Springs to Topeka so alot of these things aren't KCMO.

http://www.kcadc.com/About/PDF/AnnualReport2004.pdf
Maybe I'm ignorant but that list isn't impressing me.  This metro area has too much going for it for that to be their "victories".
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I doubt that KCI will ever have many, if any, direct overseas flights unless our population doubles or unless we became a hub. Otherwise, what would be the business case for an airline to offer a wide selection of overseas flights from here?
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

The list isn't that impressive for a reason.  A firm will start the search effort 18-36 months prior to their actual relocation announcment or commencement.  Think back 2 or 3 years....911 put everything on the back burner until there was some degree of clarity as to the future of anything.  A few firms maintained their plans, which is what KCADC saw last year in their success stories.  More are coming as the comfort of these firms has slowly evolved toward normalcy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sounds reasonable, never thought about that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KCPowercat wrote: sounds reasonable, never thought about that.
Go ahead and pump my karma up to about 60.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Isle of Capri is looking for a new corporate HQ because of the hurricane situtation in Biloxi. It's only 150 jobs, but c'mon KCMO! Get the EDC on this one. They're only moving because of the weather...This would be a perfect company to bring in as an office anchor in one of the new proposed developments such as the East Village, KC Southern tracks River Market development, or the Port Authority Riverfront development.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/12941591.htm
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Someone needs to get ahold of that consulting firm, and every other consulting firm in this field, and fill them in on the cheap rent in DT KC.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I have to admit there's a sick side of me that doesn't mind the gulf coast and especially Florida getting whacked by hurricanes only for hoping the suckers(residents & companies) who moved down there will have 2nd thoughts of returning.
Calling a spade a spade.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Isle of Capri will move their corporate headquarters to Vicksburg, MS (or possibly Tunica). 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

If we are truly entering into an era where we reach the  W's in hurrican names on an annual basis and 4-5 of those that menace the gulf coast per year are Cat 5, I would have to think that there are several corporations that faced with the business disruption of having to close down once or twice per year to evacuate a city the size of Houston or New Orleans, might just be willing to cut bait and run.  The last 25 years or so have been a period of relative quiesence on the hurricane front and many HQ's moved south during that period.  An increase in hurricane frequency and magnitude, as well as the immense energy costs due to the near year round air conditioning required along the gulf coast and I suspect there may be a few plums looking to move further north. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Highlander wrote: If we are truly entering into an era where we reach the  W's in hurrican names on an annual basis and 4-5 of those that menace the gulf coast per year are Cat 5, I would have to think that there are several corporations that faced with the business disruption of having to close down once or twice per year to evacuate a city the size of Houston or New Orleans, might just be willing to cut bait and run.  The last 25 years or so have been a period of relative quiesence on the hurricane front and many HQ's moved south during that period.  An increase in hurricane frequency and magnitude, as well as the immense energy costs due to the near year round air conditioning required along the gulf coast and I suspect there may be a few plums looking to move further north. 
Plus with rising tides due to global warming, the coasts will be submerged, meaning Washington DC is a gonner, which means the feds will need a new capital, which means we need to start getting serious about urban design standards in KC so as to befit the honor of hosting the federal government. That is, if the feds can even answer the phone after the end of cheap energy. Okay nevermind...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

meaning Washington DC is a gonner, which means the feds will need a new capital

Congress is already talking about leaving DC and getting a new capitol.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Stan Durwood was a big fan of the book, The Nine Nations of North America, it proposed restructuring the US into nine "superstates" and moving the capitol to the center of the nation. i.e. Somewhere in or near KC.

http://www.harpercollege.edu/~mhealy/g1 ... cninfr.htm
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'm tellin' you guys, the future capitol of the United States will be in Omaha (unfortunately).

Hey KCMax, that was a funny ass article in The Onion=D> 
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.