P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Re: P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Post by wetpaint »

I'm an ale fan. I can't help but wish they had chosen to specialize in English or even Belgian beers.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

OC in the P&L will NEVER happen. Can't tell you how I know, but I'd swear that it will never happen.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

ColumbusParkian wrote: OC in the P&L will NEVER happen. Can't tell you how I know, but I'd swear that it will never happen.
You can tell us. You just don't feel like it.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

ColumbusParkian wrote: OC in the P&L will NEVER happen. Can't tell you how I know, but I'd swear that it will never happen.
So do you know for sure WHO is going to open, or you just know it's not OC?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I don't know who is going in, no. It's just not going to be an OC.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Are you an employee of the Olathe or OP store?  I wouldn't think you would live in Columbus Park, so probably not.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

The thick plotens.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I oppose the idea of Old Chicago coming to the P&L, because then the city would have to bulldoze the building where Tarantino's is for parking.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

I hope they pick Johnson County,ks area as the place in the Metro they relocate Famous Daves.
Olathe Pointe or Gateway would be good or even Corbin Park or Cornerstone.
Last edited by mgsports on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Me too, any place that can make kc masterpiece restaurants successful deserves famous daves.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bahua wrote: I oppose the idea of Old Chicago coming to the P&L, because then the city would have to bulldoze the building where Tarantino's is for parking.
Why? Famous Dave's says they left because the carry-out parking was insufficient. I would think any new tenant should know what to expect with regards to parking. It is what it is.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WSPanic wrote: Why? Famous Dave's says they left because the carry-out parking was insufficient. I would think any new tenant should know what to expect with regards to parking. It is what it is.

i assume bahua's comment was a reference to lil jakes bbq.  in other words, now that a chain pizza joint is opening two blocks away the city will "conveniently" need the tarantino's space for parking.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Me too, any place that can make kc masterpiece restaurants successful deserves famous daves.
I've never understood how Masterpiece has stayed in business, given that there are so many other better bbq options around.  But I'll say that it's at least edible, unlike Famous Daves.  For the life of me I cannot figure out what people like about Daves.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: I've never understood how Masterpiece has stayed in business, given that there are so many other better bbq options around.  But I'll say that it's at least edible, unlike Famous Daves.  For the life of me I cannot figure out what people like about Daves.
When Masterpiece first opened, I thought their meats were the highest quality of any BBQ spot in town.  They've gone downhill but I have not eaten there in years so I don't know how far.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Does P&L Dave's even have a BBQ pit?  If so, is it just for show?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

ignatius wrote: Does P&L Dave's even have a BBQ pit?  If so, is it just for show?
Haven't you seen the new Glade BBQ scented plug-ins?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

trailerkid wrote:Flying Saucer and Gordon Biersch already have the market cornered for this type of thing and Old Chicago across the street is pretty much offering more duplication. If I were Cordish I'd fight this move...
yeah, it seems like a bad move to try to cannibalize business in your own district.  I'm guessing the franchisee has that "retail cannibal" mentality (i.e obviously "x" is successful, i need to get a slice of that pie even if I"m diminishing everyone's slice in the process).  Of course, Cordish will certainly have something to say if they think this is so.  Sounds like the franchisee isn't very creative....
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ComandanteCero wrote: yeah, it seems like a bad move to try to cannibalize business in your own district.  I'm guessing the franchisee has that "retail cannibal" mentality (i.e obviously "x" is successful, i need to get a slice of that pie even if I"m diminishing everyone's slice in the process).  Of course, Cordish will certainly have something to say if they think this is so.  Sounds like the franchisee isn't very creative....
I don't know the history of the Flying Saucer and Gordon Biersch companies but hasn't Old Chicago Pizza been around a long time?  I remember eating in the Dillon Colorado restaurant about 14 years ago.  In think they were among the first to offer large beer lists. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

note that i was referring to the franchisee and the district in particular rather than the companies as a whole.  (I think Old Chicago is a much more established chain than the other two)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It's probably that the JoCo franchisee won't let the FD franchisee have Old Chicago in KCMO. There's probably an agreement procluding anyone from getting an Old Chicago franchise within the entire metro and/or region. Usually, things like Old Chicago are developed by one regional franchisee.

There may also be something in the contract for Gordon Biersch + Flying Saucer that procludes Old Chicago from entering the District similar to what happened between Buca and Brio. Again, I don't even think Old Chicago adds anything new to that specific area. I'd like to see Old Chicago on Broadway or maybe even in the old Mango Room space.

Why is the Famous Dave's franchisee talking to the press about this?

1. The restaurant is still open. Who is going to go to a mediocre restaurant that just announced it was likely to close?

2. The deal with Old Chicago is proposed. It is not finalized. Why are you naming names of another restaurant chain that is sounding more and more unlikely? Saying they were looking at a "national pizza and bar casual dining operation" would be a much more savy way of going about things. There really isn't any news other than Famous Dave's is likely going to close...