801 Chop House

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: 801 Chop House

Post by KCPowercat »

zero sexiness factor....we have great steakhouses...801 brings nothing to the table.....compliment them for coming down but not my thing......same reaction I had with famous dave's.....frustrated out of state places come in and cash in on the KC name....local places are missing out...

you remember having to send people to famous dave's and how pissed off we got....it's not right.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: zero sexiness factor....we have great steakhouses...801 brings nothing to the table.....compliment them for coming down but not my thing......same reaction I had with famous dave's.....frustrated out of state places come in and cash in on the KC name....local places are missing out...

you remember having to send people to famous dave's and how pissed off we got....it's not right.
It's a tourist district built from scratch. Lighten the hell up. Anyone looking for KC authentic 'que or steakhouses (which KC has zero truly FAMOUS steakhouses) next door to Chipotle and Ted's is a complete fool.

BTW, I've heard Omaha has plenty of old school, landmark, weird steakhouses in the older parts of town. Does Kansas City have any?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Golden Ox? Majestic? Hereford? Not sure what your criteria are.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lot of fools in America.

Most of that was meant for P.Stalker....

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: Golden Ox? Majestic? Hereford? Not sure what your criteria are.
Hereford House burnt down. Majestic has only been in that location since the 90s. Didn't Golden Ox already close and reopen at least once with different ownership trying to continue living off the name?

I don't consider 2 1/2 dubiously REAL steakhouses overwhelming for a "COW TOWN" with 2 M people.

The criteria:

Old building, old decor, old wait staff, old recipes.

I guess we have the Savoy, but I'm not sure that's a steakhouse. Regardless it's definitely an endangered species as Omaha has lost a few of these places in the last couple years. The clientele is dying. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I have no idea about the recipes at any of those places. Majestic feels oldschool because of the current building, but I have no idea whether they retained the old recipe book or just took the name. Same with Golden Ox, although it would seem that very little has changed there since they opened--but even then, they technically only go back to around 1950.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Wow, stereotype much.  I would think anyone with some intelligence would try 801 before judging it.  They don't have the reputation they do for no reason.  I just came from drinks and appetizers there and it was very good. 
trailerkid wrote: It's a tourist district built from scratch. Lighten the hell up. Anyone looking for KC authentic 'que or steakhouses (which KC has zero truly FAMOUS steakhouses) next door to Chipotle and Ted's is a complete fool.

BTW, I've heard Omaha has plenty of old school, landmark, weird steakhouses in the older parts of town. Does Kansas City have any?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I just had dinner there, and it was pretty damn good. I was very impressed with the complete lack of opening night screwups. The wine list is very good (beer list...forget it) and the steaks were very high quality. They have a cognac butter and mushroom ragout they offer as a sauce, and it was probably the best thing we had. All in all a good experience. I have nothing bad to say about the place.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCTigerFan wrote: Wow, stereotype much.  I would think anyone with some intelligence would try 801 before judging it.  They don't have the reputation they do for no reason.  I just came from drinks and appetizers there and it was very good. 
I never said anything about it not being good. Someone looking for a "KC steakhouse" (or a "KC _____" for that matter) is an idiot if they look in the P+L District.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

P&L has more "KC ___" per capita than the Plaza or most other developments for that matter... Bristol, Chefburger, Midland Theatre, Cosentino's, Peachtree. 
trailerkid wrote: I never said anything about it not being good. Someone looking for a "KC steakhouse" (or a "KC _____" for that matter) is an idiot if they look in the P+L District.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCTigerFan wrote: P&L has more "KC ___" per capita than the Plaza or most other developments for that matter... Bristol, Chefburger, Midland Theatre, Cosentino's, Peachtree. 
I know the tenant list at the P+L very well as we've been staring at almost the same one for a year.

The Power & Light District is a tourist and/or entertainment district for people wanting to experience urban Kansas City without actually experiencing urban Kansas City. I wish it is wildly successful and I'd easily put its "authenticity" in the same category as the Plaza (for whatever that's worth). 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It definitely caters to a market of people who wouldn't venture into the "real" neighborhoods--tourists and suburban visitors alike--but it also caters to people who live in those neighborhoods that occasionally want a solid manufactured chain experience without traveling to the suburbs.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Food wise I agree (outside of bristol, chefburger, and bice) but bar wise I find the p&l gives a bar element that was previously missing in kc. More high energy type places. So I wouldn't say people going there just want a chain bar experience.

JayFan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JayFan »

Before moving here a few months ago to attend graduate school, I had the impression that Kansas City was a very welcoming, open-minded, and sophisticated city.  After reading some of the reviews of the finer establishments of the city, I am disappointed in many of the responses.  I never would have assumed that a newcomer to the city would be criticized before being given a chance.  Obviously, this restaurant has been successful in its other locations.  Perhaps those of you who are critical of this establishment and other newcomers should actually give them a chance before making your decisions.  I, however, will remain open-minded and visit this establishment, as well as other new and established restaurants.  If the reputation of 801 holds true in the Kansas City location, I am counting on having one of the best meals of my life, surrounded by other open-minded and sophisticated patrons in this city.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Well said.  I guess Trader Joe's, Ikea, H&M and all the other places we have been begging for on here are all not worth our time as they are not local either.  Vibrant cities have a great mix of local, regional and national, period.  One is not inherently better than the other.  While I almost always choose local coffee shops, local breakfast places and frequent many independent restaurants I don't thumb my nose at the others. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

JayFan wrote: Before moving here a few months ago to attend graduate school, I had the impression that Kansas City was a very welcoming, open-minded, and sophisticated city.  After reading some of the reviews of the finer establishments of the city, I am disappointed in many of the responses.  I never would have assumed that a newcomer to the city would be criticized before being given a chance.  Obviously, this restaurant has been successful in its other locations.  Perhaps those of you who are critical of this establishment and other newcomers should actually give them a chance before making your decisions.  I, however, will remain open-minded and visit this establishment, as well as other new and established restaurants.  If the reputation of 801 holds true in the Kansas City location, I am counting on having one of the best meals of my life, surrounded by other open-minded and sophisticated patrons in this city.
What are you the GM or just a bartender?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exactly. If you are going to come on here putting down kc risdents, at least make your ties to the development or restaurant known. Very transparent.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCTigerFan wrote: Well said.  I guess Trader Joe's, Ikea, H&M and all the other places we have been begging for on here are all not worth our time as they are not local either.  Vibrant cities have a great mix of local, regional and national, period.  One is not inherently better than the other.  While I almost always choose local coffee shops, local breakfast places and frequent many independent restaurants I don't thumb my nose at the others. 
=D>
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

JayFan wrote: Before moving here a few months ago to attend graduate school, I had the impression that Kansas City was a very welcoming, open-minded, and sophisticated city.  After reading some of the reviews of the finer establishments of the city, I am disappointed in many of the responses.  I never would have assumed that a newcomer to the city would be criticized before being given a chance.  Obviously, this restaurant has been successful in its other locations.  Perhaps those of you who are critical of this establishment and other newcomers should actually give them a chance before making your decisions.  I, however, will remain open-minded and visit this establishment, as well as other new and established restaurants.  If the reputation of 801 holds true in the Kansas City location, I am counting on having one of the best meals of my life, surrounded by other open-minded and sophisticated patrons in this city.
What, we're supposed to like everything? Most reviews are given after we HAVE tried a place. And we bend over backwards for downtown establishments. Grow some thicker skin.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote: I have found the first location in the P&L I am wishing goes down.  Bye.

Wait, maybe Famous Dave's....nah, too easy.....cool neon but goodbye 801.
KCMax wrote: What, we're supposed to like everything? Most reviews are given after we HAVE tried a place. And we bend over backwards for downtown establishments. Grow some thicker skin.
Doesn't sound like KCP visited 801 before posting the above.  There is a general vibe of "hate" being tossed at this place.  Just my observation.