TimeWarnerCable may pass satellite in HD channels

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: TimeWarnerCable may pass satellite in HD channels

Post by ignatius »

phuqueue wrote: This is only half true.  Old movies can definitely do HD.  Film is an analog format, so you can't really directly compare it to digital HD, but the level of detail captured (and thus the theoretically possible resolution of the digital image) by 35mm film stock far surpasses digital 1080p.  Old TV shows that were shot on video are doomed to an eternity of blurry, grainy SD hell, but anything that was shot on film can absolutely be remastered in true HD.
Yeah, remastered old/older movies look really good in HD.  If not remastered, you can really see the graininess.

One problem with SDV is that they will use lower bit rates for content that doesn't have high motion, which will mean blockiness for pan scans or a quick motion here and there.  But new cable boxes are coming out with MPEG4, which should improve that.  Could be a while before TWC goes MPEG4 though.

TWC currently has the SA 8300HD/C DVR boxes.  SA came out with an 8500 series with MPEG4.  Hopefully TWC will  at least carry the box soon, before MPEG4 transcoding begins, as I hear there are mo betta Tivo like features too.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

HD movie rentals on apple tv won a recent image quality comparison against digital cable HD rentals. the selection is better and more current, too. i love my apple tv!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

The HD channels in first post are now officially working.  They've also added ESPN News HD, Travel HD and Versus HD.

KC is also first place to get a new Navigator upgrade, version 2.4.10_11.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

ignatius wrote: Travel HD
Just in time for the new season of No Reservations.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Here's how "No Reservations" is handling HD:

The videographers currently use the Sony V1U HDV camcorder in 1080 24p mode. “These are decisions made by production,” notes Liebler, who is curious to try going tapeless in the future. “I think networks want HD on a budget and they’re not yet ready to get their feet wet by basing a show entirely in the digital realm with P2 or the Sony compact flash. It would be nice to try those things, but we’ve had a lot of success doing it this way.”

Rest at http://www.dv.com/features/features_ite ... =196604056.

Interesting that he acknowledges that programmers often cut corners when it comes to HD.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Nice to see the new channels added.  A lot of stretched and zoomed crap though. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

got another nasty "upgrade" to my HD-DVR the other night. anyone else have trouble?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

No major troubles but I did have to unplug both of my boxes.  If you have a weak signal, you may have issues.

KC is the first TWC market to get this upgrade.  It does have some bug fixes.  I also think KC and NYC now have the most HD channels of any TWC market too.
Nice to see the new channels added.  A lot of stretched and zoomed crap though.
Looks like 30-50% of the content (on the new channels) is HD.  Would rather have that than none at all.  At least the infrastructure is in place to handle more HD content down the road.

It is annoying though that the stretch 4:3 content to 16:9.  They should allow the viewer decide as most any TV or cable box can stretch it manually.
Last edited by ignatius on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: got another nasty "upgrade" to my HD-DVR the other night. anyone else have trouble?
Ours just started not turning on and showing gibberish on the display yesterday - still wasn't working when we left this morning.  The old school SD box in the bedroom works just fine though.  I am guessing that it is something widespread, since when I tried to call last night (pre storm) their phone line was giving the out of service beep and their web support was "unavailable".  Your still in the xroads Dave?  Could be a neighborhood by neighborhood thing I suppose.  

I hope that the damn thing comes back on by itself - we are on like our seventh DVR in three years and I dread the drive out to the cablestore.  
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Your still in the xroads Dave?  Could be a neighborhood by neighborhood thing I suppose.  

I hope that the damn thing comes back on by itself - we are on like our seventh DVR in three years and I dread the drive out to the cablestore.  
yes, just up the street! ours eventually did revive itself after countless errors and lengthy boot sequences. i unplugged it several times, so not sure if that helped.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: yes, just up the street! ours eventually did revive itself after countless errors and lengthy boot sequences. i unplugged it several times, so not sure if that helped.
Was the display showing a letter "h" followed by continuously scrolling numbers?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Was the display showing a letter "h" followed by continuously scrolling numbers?
there were a lot of freakin' codes. i don't remember an H, but there were L's and E's.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

DaveKCMO wrote: yes, just up the street! ours eventually did revive itself after countless errors and lengthy boot sequences. i unplugged it several times, so not sure if that helped.
I had the same problem. Had to reboot a bunch of times before it would actually work. Kept coming up with some error saying that the display I had it hooked up to didn't support DVI correctly or something, which of course it does. After a couple reboots it worked fine.

Anybody else tired of these "upgrades" that don't seem to change anything except making the box run slower? After the upgrade, the menus have responded painfully slowly.  :x
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I'll definitely take the upgrades.  It's better now. Would rather have one every couple months than once a year.  The menus are slow only after the first boot.  It gets better for some reason.  But it may depend on the type of box.  I have the newer ones with cablecards.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

lock+load wrote: A lot of stretched and zoomed crap though. 
Yup. Look what happened to this guy:
nota wrote:
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

These STANDARD DEF channels are moving to SDV (switched digital video) next month in KC. This will allow for about 18-20 more non-SDV HD channels.

Video Rola 157
Canal Sur 159
HITN 167
EWTN 190
TBN 191
The Word 192
American Life 193
Inspiration 194
Inspiration Life 195
The Gospel Music Channel 196
Daystar 197
Family Net 198
Outdoor Channel 202
G4 216
Biography 217
History International 218
Military Channel 224
Investigation Discovery 225
Planet Green 226
Bloomberg 227
CNBC World 228
Fox Business 230
C-SPAN 3 232
Gameshow 240
Wam 242
The N 245
Boomerang 246
Fuse 250
Ovation 251
TV One 253
Sleuth 255
VH-1 Classic 258
Fine Living 260
Lifetime Real Women 261
BBC America 263
Fit TV 264
Sundance 285
IFC 287
HBO Signature W 305
HBO Family W 307
HBO Comedy W 309
HBO Latino W 313
Showtime Too 342
SHOSHCS 344
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Good news for SA8300HDC DVR users.  You can attach an external drive and expand the hours of DVR recording.  There was a bug in last version of Navigator that had problems on HDC boxes.  The new version works great.

I used...
Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure
Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB SATA drive

You can froogle.com for best price.

TWC doesn't officially support this so don't call them about it or they may shut it off.
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

ignatius wrote: Good news for SA8300HDC DVR users.  You can attach an external drive and expand the hours of DVR recording.  There was a bug in last version of Navigator that had problems on HDC boxes.  The new version works great.

I used...
Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure
Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB SATA drive

You can froogle.com for best price.

TWC doesn't officially support this so don't call them about it or they may shut it off.
cool.  do you know if the programs are in a usable (burnable to DVD) format?  also, any idea whether the firewire port has been activated?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yes, you can 'rip' over firewire using VLC Player to record.  Need to DVR the content first though in most cases.  Unfortunately you have to 'play' the content into VLC, you just can't copy files.  But it does work, and in full HD.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my firewire port has always worked?????
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc