Some KCK Postcards

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Some KCK Postcards

Post by DeadendLafayette »

FangKC wrote: It's sad to have lost the sunken garden. Does anyone know why it was filled in?
To quote this site:

http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/kscoll/lochi ... w/TN74.htm

"During the depression of the 1930s, Works Progress Administration funds (federally funded WPA) were used to provide employment for men who had no jobs.

One of the projects was work on Waterway Park. The large lake described as a "swampy hollow" was transformed into big Eleven Lake by installing stone retaining walls at the water's edge and building the band stand and the seats.

The Sunken Garden had deteriorated and was filled as part of this project. The third pond was also filled in and became a softball field and playground. It retained the name of Waterway Park at Grandview Boulevard and Waterway Drive (On North 11th) with 3.8 acres."

I'd love to see a picture of that lake at 11th & Armstrong when it had water in it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It would be cool to dig up the sunken gardens and restore them, as a part of improving the State Ave corridor, along with fixing up the entire waterway park corridor to tie in with the new housing in St. Peter's.  Big Eleven is a neglected treasure.  I can imagine concerts once again in that bandstand jutting out into the lake.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: The Fairfax Airport was closed and demolished and the GM Plant built there I think.
The Fairfax Assembly plant was built directly on top of the Fairfax airport. The runways are still intact and you can see them from an aerial shot. Looks like any trace of the old terminal building is gone.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Fairfax Airport

Last edited by FangKC on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.