Foodies, step up and rep on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Foodies, step up and rep on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

You forgot the other Bourdain episode trademark - he would have to get drunk on some sort of high-octaine homemade booze.  Perhaps he would make a sidetrip down to the Ozarks to visit someone's still. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

If he did visit here, it is a guarantee he would visit Branson, just for the kitsch factor.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCMax wrote: If Bourdain were to come here, he might go to one nice place - Le Fou Frog, Michael Smith, 1924 Main, Bluestem. The rest of his trip would consist of (a) a honky tonk place like Grinders or Woodswether Cafe; (b) a hole in the wall authentic Mexican place; (c) a soul food place on the East Side; and (d) Arthur Bryant's or Gates or Oklahoma Joe's. I would also bet he visits a farm, probably an organic farm in the area. He seems to like going to places where food is actually made and emphasizing "fresh food".

I don't really know what we could provide as far as activities. He shuns the touristy stuff. It would have to be something quirky.

He doesn't really do as many US cities as he does international cities though. If he were to do a regional show, it would be something like Kansas City/St. Louis, like he did for Seattle/Portland.
I'd think he'd either hit a ton of the BBQ places or he'd probably go to Oklahoma Joe's. That seems like more his thing. As far as activities, 8th street tunnel? something in the West Bottoms. I've watched almost all of the shows so I probably know more about it than I actually know about Kansas City.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I'd think he'd either hit a ton of the BBQ places or he'd probably go to Oklahoma Joe's.
He did hit Oklahoma Joe's & hung out with Paul Kirk
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Lots of good suggestions. So is anybody going to submit a video?
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

Its silly, but yes, its worth a shot.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Succotash is totally his style.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I'll glom onto this thread instead of the blog one, because Holly's is a legitimate Well established, though rarely updated website.
Holly was in KC last year on business,
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=105858
  (thanks for helping, you dicks :(  :P )

and now has posted a few iconic places:
http://www.hollyeats.com/Midwest.htm

"Every city needs a Town Topic.  Open 24 hours.  Burgers, cheeseburgers, fries, onion rings, chili, root beer floats and homemade pies.  Breakfast too.

Burgers and cheeseburgers come single, double and triple."
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

Bourdain is headed to town Sept. 16th for a fund raiser for the Kauffman Center

http://www.kauffmancenter.org/NewsAndEv ... spx?id=860
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

In case anyone was wondering, Bourdain didn't pick Kansas City. He chose Saudi Arabia.

The other three finalists were the Philippines, Thailand and Buffalo, NY.

He chose Saudi Arabia because he thought it would be the biggest challenge for him (no alcohol allowed!) and because Americans don't know much about Saudi Arabia. He was pretty tempted to go to Thailand, and he liked the guy from Buffalo a lot.

He also had a nice dig at Denver. When an entrant video said "I noticed you have never had a show in Denver" Anthony retorted "And I never will."

kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

KCMax wrote: In case anyone was wondering, Bourdain didn't pick Kansas City. He chose Saudi Arabia.

The other three finalists were the Philippines, Thailand and Buffalo, NY.

He chose Saudi Arabia because he thought it would be the biggest challenge for him (no alcohol allowed!) and because Americans don't know much about Saudi Arabia. He was pretty tempted to go to Thailand, and he liked the guy from Buffalo a lot.

He also had a nice dig at Denver. When an entrant video said "I noticed you have never had a show in Denver" Anthony retorted "And I never will."
IMO, the Saudi Arabia episode was terrible.  I was expecting to be a good episode but the girl who took him around to the places was visiting some of them for the very first time.  I would liken it to my grandmother taking him to Arrowhead and arriving 20 minutes before the game began and miss all the tailgating, and then have to sit through a 9 to 3 loss.  It started out with a lot of potential but the girl just didn't have any idea where to take him and show him the local flair. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Totally agree. I got the impression she was a suburbanite who was more comfortable at the Saudi Fried Chicken place than she was at more authentic Saudi holes in the wall. And I don't even think they even tried that many Saudi holes in the wall, instead she was trying to impress him with off-the-wall stuff like pig anus and camel meat.

I can't believe he hasn't done an episode in Thailand yet. He seems to love SE Asia, and Thailand has awesome food.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

He went to Thailand and Vietnam on his first show.  I remember him saying something about either Thailand or Vietnam being possibly the best food overall in the world.  He also ate a still beating cobra heart in Vietnam, which was awesome.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah, he has done thailand on a different series.  For those who like his shows, I highly recommend the books.  The guy is actually a better author than chef.  The writting is very laugh out loud entertaining. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah, he has done thailand on a different series.  For those who like his shows, I highly recommend the books.  The guy is actually a better author than chef.  The writting is very laugh out loud entertaining. 
"Kitchen Confidential" is my summer read and its been a hoot so far.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: "Kitchen Confidential" is my summer read and its been a hoot so far.

great read. old classic book, kitchen confidential, but a damn good one. i love that book, so honest and true to the business. people think my line of work is like hells kitchen, and that is so far from the truth. even in nicer places i have been in nyc and dc it is so far from that.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The companion book to his first series "A cook' tour" is a good read as well.  It recounts the same travels as the TV show, but his prose is much more colourful and entertaining.  Each chaper ends with a seperate and often hilarious rant about all of the stupid things the TV producers made him do along with jaded commentary about the Food Network.  You get a real insight into why he jumped networks. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

No Reservations is hitting Buffalo, Detroit and Baltimore this season, so I don't see any reason why KC couldn't be featured on the show in the near future.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: No Reservations is hitting Buffalo, Detroit and Baltimore this season, so I don't see any reason why KC couldn't be featured on the show in the near future.
especially since OK Joe's is on his "13 places to eat before you die" list.  that said, i don't really know where else he would go in KC other than BBQ places.  maybe justus drugstore.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

went to OK joe's last week, (early about 11) and the line was already to the door.  Flip side is, I've been in the evening before a show and the place is wide open.