I-35 and 291<< Walgreens and Price Chopper

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: I-35 and 291<< Walgreens and Price Chopper

Post by im2kull »

4everNorthlander wrote: Doubt it. Just probably worked out that way.  Wonder which has the higher sales tax. 
Liberty...by a wide margin...so yes, they are trying to avoid the tax, almost guarenteed, that would be the exact (ONLY) reason Wal-Mart moved from the old location (Where the current price chopper is) to across I35 to the KCMO side when it (The KCMO side) was literally nothing but a big barren field.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
JaseFifty1
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JaseFifty1 »

im2kull wrote: Liberty...by a wide margin...so yes, they are trying to avoid the tax, almost guarenteed, that would be the exact (ONLY) reason Wal-Mart moved from the old location (Where the current price chopper is) to across I35 to the KCMO side when it (The KCMO side) was literally nothing but a big barren field.
Per City of Liberty's website, their total sales tax rate is 7.35%.  I couldn't find KC's rate at their web site.  Per two unofficial sites, KC's rate is 7.55%.

The reason Walmart left Liberty is because Liberty wouldn't give them tax incentives to build a larger store.  It wasn't a sales tax issue.
Last edited by JaseFifty1 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Walmart didn't leave because of tax incentives did they?  Did KCMO even offer tax breaks for that walmart?  I know there is the overlay taxing district for shoal creek, but I don't think walmart was part of it.

Walmart left that site because it was old and small.  So they built a new store in a field nearby.  That's what walmart does.

It just so happened to be that all the open and developing land in the area is in KCMO.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

JaseFifty1 wrote: The reason Walmart left Liberty is because Liberty wouldn't give them tax incentives to build a larger store.  It wasn't a sales tax issue.
Not back in 1995, you might want to check your facts.

Fact: Wal-Mart left Liberty, MO and moved 1.2 miles across I35 to Kansas City, MO due to the extreme difference in BUSINESS PROPERTY tax and building codes (Specifically signage).
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Mauddib
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Mauddib »

This is more I35 and 152 but does anyone know what is going up in front of Lowe's in Liberty?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

99% sure mgsports will, if you can understand the nuances of his grammar.
construction guy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by construction guy »

im2kull wrote: Not back in 1995, you might want to check your facts.

Fact: Wal-Mart left Liberty, MO and moved 1.2 miles across I35 to Kansas City, MO due to the extreme difference in BUSINESS PROPERTY tax and building codes (Specifically signage).
Actually, a former Mayor refused to allow WM to display plants in front of the store...it led to additional disagreements and the clown of a mayor basically said he didn't care if the largest source of sales tax revenue left town.  Liberty has struggled for such revenue ever since.

Consequently, every hardware, grocery, etc in town is now able to display plants for sale in front of their stores.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

Mauddib wrote: This is more I35 and 152 but does anyone know what is going up in front of Lowe's in Liberty?
I think it's going to be a Chick Filet  (not sure about the correct spelling)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Mauddib wrote: This is more I35 and 152 but does anyone know what is going up in front of Lowe's in Liberty?
I believe that is where Hyvee is moving to, but I may be wrong.  I know both hyvee and pricechopper are moving, price chopper is moving to 291 and I35....out of the triangle.  I have heard that hyvee will move into the triangle, which seems to place it in the large area they are now grading out in front of lowes...aka..the old health dept. location.  Seems to be the only place left big enough for a "big box" store in the triangle.
THINK (ONE) KC.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

The new Hy-Vee will be directly behind the Crowley Furniture strip center. The front of the new store will face west.  The site in front of Lowes is a resturant pad site too small for a big box.  A lot of land remains east of Lowes though.

The Price Chopper will keep both stores open.  I will still shop at the old store because new food stores cause people, mostly women, to stick their noses higher in the air.  Maybe the current economy will change their attitudes. :?
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

zlohban wrote: The new Hy-Vee will be directly behind the Crowley Furniture strip center. The front of the new store will face west.  The site in front of Lowes is a resturant pad site too small for a big box.  A lot of land remains east of Lowes though.
Hy-Vee is planning on opening next December, so they should be breaking ground soon.

By the way, much progress has been made, lately, near the Price Chopper. I saw the road connecting Pour Boys with McDonalds is either open or almost ready to open.