Flying Saucer

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Flying Saucer

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCPowercat wrote: I heard opening was delayed to tomorrow.

:)
Don't you dare mess with me like that!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The bar for the anti-P+L crowd finally opens in the P+L.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

trailerkid wrote: The bar for the anti-P+L crowd finally opens in the P+L.

It'd be great if it actually turned out like that, but with lines 40-50 people deep at the other places, I can see this place filling up just as quickly!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Mhudson wrote: It'd be great if it actually turned out like that, but with lines 40-50 people deep at the other places, I can see this place filling up just as quickly!
The waitresses in abbreviated catholic schoolgirl outfits should insure that the lines are kept short.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

*camps out on sidewalk, anxiously awaiting the opening*
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

don't take all the seats.  hope nobody knows about this opening as I can't get there very soon....post updates if possible.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

New Belgian representatives are buying the bar one free New Belgian beer per person right now.  1554, Fat Tire, and Springboard are on tap.  All taps 2.75 on Mondays.  I have my Beer Knurd membership card and t-shirt.  Awesome place and I wil be here very often.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Maybe you should change your screen-name to Drunk Snoopy.
There is no fifth destination.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: New Belgian representatives are buying the bar one free New Belgian beer per person right now.  1554, Fat Tire, and Springboard are on tap.  All taps 2.75 on Mondays.  I have my Beer Knurd membership card and t-shirt.  Awesome place and I wil be here very often.
Crowded?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Not at all! Beautiful actually!  Bar is full but the entire restaurant area is empty.  The founder of the chain is here.  Come get your free New Belgian!!!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'm gonna try to head down at 5:30... let us know if it gets too crowded before then.  :)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

1/3 full currently.  You'll be in good company!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Had three beers there tonight.  This is the first place in the P&L I can see myself hanging out at on a semi-regular basis.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

great place.  I'm #35 on the UFO card.  Damn you 34 people that got there before me (and damn Joel peralta/gobble for blowing the game as I type this).  Great place, laid back atmosphere.  (peralta just gave up another HR.)

Oh well. 

Tonight I had the Bells Oberon, Einbeck schwartzbier, and rogue dead guy.  197 left till you see my name on the ring of honor. I only live a block away so I'll race people to 200.  Pumpkin,  are you up for the challenge?
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

I sat next to pumpkinstalker there today.  He is the one that told me about this site.  Thanks man! 

He is #13 on the card thing, and I am #14.  He and I were (seemingly) the first to sign up, so it may be that employees or whatnot got in on the first cards.   

I greatly enjoyed this place.    For being open for all of 1 second that we were there, the staff was pretty solid.    My chicken sandwich wasn't anything to write home about, but, I didn't go in there for chicken... 

I had a Chimay, a New Belgium 1554, and a Bell's 2 Hearted.      I'll be back.  Soon.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

welcome psalm!  we can always use more beer nerds (knurds, as it were) around here.  I'm glad to here Flying Saucer is shaping up to be as good as I was expecting.  For those that have gone, how does it compare to a Yardhouse?
are we spinning free?
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I was at yardhouse about two weeks ago for the first time and I thought it was pretty cool (except for the fact that I disagree with everything about the legends)  flying saucer is a little less 'applebees' and a little less gimicky.  I think the half yards are a little too Disney style for die hard beer drinkers.  Tonight at FS, the garage doors were all open, good music and an overall very fun, laid back environment.  (sorry about the heavy Missouri bias)
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

Well, glad to be hear.    Thank PumpkinStalker.       

I'd say the yard house might have a few more beers on tap??  Not positive tho.  And the yard house is much more focused on "finer" dining.    It's pizza slices and burgers at flying saucer.      Both certainly will have a beer or 6 you like... but, the flying saucer seemed to have better pricing... and a much "funner" vibe.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Psalm B H wrote: the flying saucer seemed to have better pricing
Hear, hear.  The first P&L joint not priced like a tourist trap.  $2.75/pint Mondays were a good way to break the place in.

A bit more antiseptic than its Dallas sibling, but what are you gonna do?  Decent place, for sure.

Every place I've been in the P&L so far, I've felt the need to drink equal beers outside the P&L to maintain equilibrium.  I happily sat here for four.  Went to Town Topic afterwards to maintain cosmic balance and had a wonderful cheeseburger.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

m'lady and i stopped by for a bell's two-hearted ale and some fellowship.  the place is slightly antiseptic, but i think it looks far more "real" than the other bars in the p+l district.  i like that the decor is simple but effective - cool light fixtures, penny backsplash, vintage saucers everywhere.  the huge open windows were perfect last night with the amazing weather. 

and yeah, $2.75 pints of Bell's?!  pretty sure that is unprecedented in this city.  kudos to flying saucer.  i'll be back. 

afterwards i fed the machine with some delicious, sopping, cheesy Pancho's.  it was a quality cinco de mayo.