Cold Storage Lofts

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
pearcejp
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Cold Storage Lofts

Post by pearcejp »

Any information on a possible tenant for the restaurant on the ground floor?
deskside
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by deskside »

I will be moving into the Cold Storage Lofts on Feb 1st.  I live in Scottsdale, AZ and have never seen the lofts but my daugher who works for a company in the River Market has taken pics for me.  Granted I am paying the same amount for a 2 bedroom townhome in Scottsdale that has more room in it than the 3 bedroom I'm getting at Cold Storage something tells me it will be far more enjoyable living in the lofts than living where I'm at.  This is all thanks to the management at Cold Storage.  They have been fantastic.  No hard sell --- just nice, caring people.  From application process to email updates, phone calls and accomodating my daughter to come in and take pics tells me this is going to be heaven to rent a loft there. So opposite from where I'm living now.  Here in Scottsdale from the application process to my notification for vacating I've been treated like crap and I'm a great tenant.  Rent always paid on or ahead of due date, no wild parties and I take excellent care of the townhome I'm in .... I keep wondering where they are stashing the bodies of the not so good tenants! 

Christopher King and Amber Miligan at Cold Storage are the best!  Christopher sends out emails to update us at 2:00 in the morning......the guy is barely sleeping through this whole inspection process.  I'm sure I can get a lot larger place for the market price I'm paying for this loft but would I get treated better?  I doubt it.  My gut feeling is is that this is going to be a great place to live thanks to the management.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

welcome to kansas city. what brings you here?

sorry that you are moving here in the dog days of winter though :wink:
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Welcome to KC! You'll love the City Market just a block away, and the ablility to get into the loop by foot or bike or the Max in no time. If you've got any questions about the River Market area, or the loop, etc., ask away.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
deskside
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by deskside »

Thanks for the welcome and in answer to what brings me to KC ... I've been telecommuting a part-time position for Sacred Heart, Shawnee, KS for many years and now they would like me to go full-time.  At the moment I work 2 jobs, 60 hour weeks so going full-time with Sacred Heart means only one job and 40 hour work weeks...yea!  I was born in KC but grew up in OP and Leawood.  But, I'm a newbie to downtown living!

So where is the closest grocery store to the River Market? 

Anyone know what the better Catholic parish is to join in the downtown area?

Where's the closest bowling center?

One of the reasons I chose to live in the River Market is because I'm an avid walker.  In Scottsdale I have to drive to get to trails or sidewalks I can walk on so it will be nice to walk out my front door in the River Market and be able to just start walking!

Again, thanks for the welcome!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

There's a chinese market in the River Market very near your loft. Also the city market is very close by. Do take advantage of that. For a full out supermarket, there will be one in the Power & Light District a little south of your loft. For now you'll have to drive to Midtown or north of the river. The closest bowling alley is in North Kansas City, but again there will be a Lucky Strike Lanes in the P&L District too.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
deskside
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by deskside »

A bowling center and a grocery store are coming to the P&L that is great news!  Do you know the timeframe for these projects?

For the person who asked about the restaurants in Cold Storage .... apparently there are 4 vying for the spot but they aren't saying who it is.  I do know it won't be McBride's ... I'm bummed.  How cool that would have been to have an Irish pub in the same building that I live in.  The Irish were the first group of people that massively settled in that area ... I think it's time we reclaim it!  :P
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

deskside wrote: A bowling center and a grocery store are coming to the P&L that is great news!  Do you know the timeframe for these projects?
Probably early 2008.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

there is  a catholic church in Columbus park, a couple of blocks east of you. Also, the cathedral is right downtown, just about 8 or 10 blocks from you, 12th and broadway
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
deskside
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by deskside »

It will probably be the Columbus park church that I'll join rather than the gold dome.  I was just trying to get a feel for who has the more active parish community.  I know there is St. Patrick's somewhere near by too but I'm not sure they even function as a parish anymore. Thanks!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Until the Lucky Strike opens definitely make use of the North Kansas City bowling alley.  It's very easy to get to from Cold Storage.  Just 2 miles north over the Heart of America bridge (the bridge right next to your building), turn right on 18th Ave, and go 3 blocks.  (It's actually reasonable walking distance... just not much fun to do if you are carrying your bowling ball with yoiu. :))

If you make good use of the City Market, Chinatown Market, and the downtown CVS and you won't really need a grocery store at all.  All are within easy walking distance.  Anymore I only go to an actual grocery store about 6 times a year.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

St. Patricks is in the process of renovation, paid mostly by the parishoners. It will be the primary parish for the Latin Tridentine Mass, approved by the diocese to celebrate this mass. They have an active parish. For the moment, they are celebrating the Latin Mass at Our Lady of Sorrows , near Crown Center.
deskside
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by deskside »

scooterj wrote: Until the Lucky Strike opens definitely make use of the North Kansas City bowling alley.   It's very easy to get to from Cold Storage.   Just 2 miles north over the Heart of America bridge (the bridge right next to your building), turn right on 18th Ave, and go 3 blocks.  (It's actually reasonable walking distance... just not much fun to do if you are carrying your bowling ball with yoiu. :))

If you make good use of the City Market, Chinatown Market, and the downtown CVS and you won't really need a grocery store at all.   All are within easy walking distance.  Anymore I only go to an actual grocery store about 6 times a year.
Thanks, I didn't know North Kansas City bowling alley was that close!  Where is the CVS downtown?
deskside
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by deskside »

tat2kc wrote: St. Patricks is in the process of renovation, paid mostly by the parishoners. It will be the primary parish for the Latin Tridentine Mass, approved by the diocese to celebrate this mass. They have an active parish. For the moment, they are celebrating the Latin Mass at Our Lady of Sorrows , near Crown Center.
Great info ..... thanks!  I haven't been to a Latin Mass in many, many years.  I may just attend a Mass with the St. Patrick parish before I decide which parish to join.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

deskside wrote: Where is the CVS downtown?
10th & Main... 4 blocks west and 7 blocks south of Cold Storage.  The hours are kinda crappy (closes at 6pm weekdays and closed Sundays) but they do at least have Saturday hours.    It has all the basics plus a modest grocery and liquor department on the lower level.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

The cutoff for "affordable living" is $29,000 (Median KC income determined by KC housing authority).  Providing you qualify one bedrooms start at $575, two bedrooms at $650.  I think I am moving in March 1st, I am however a little hesitant to pull the trigger and move from my Plaza apartment where I can walk to UMKC and to work on the Plaza.  I am impressed with the ammenities i.e. washer/dryer in every unit, pool, workout facility, city market etc.  And, the Max stop is right out front.  Anyone have any thoughts, having a tough time making up my mind????? 
GO ROOs!!!!!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

UMKCroo wrote: The cutoff for "affordable living" is $29,000 (Median KC income determined by KC housing authority).  Providing you qualify one bedrooms start at $575, two bedrooms at $650.  I think I am moving in March 1st, I am however a little hesitant to pull the trigger and move from my Plaza apartment where I can walk to UMKC and to work on the Plaza.  I am impressed with the ammenities i.e. washer/dryer in every unit, pool, workout facility, city market etc.  And, the Max stop is right out front.  Anyone have any thoughts, having a tough time making up my mind????? 
Well, you can essentially "walk" to those places by using MAX, it is just going to take a bit more coordination.  During most time of the day, the MAX is pretty darn convenient.  I think it comes down to whether or not moving to the River Market would enhance the time you aren't going to work or school, i.e. social opportunities, restaurants, bars in the immediate neighborhood.  You probably have that in the Plaza so you'll just have to decide if the offerings in the Market are more in tune with the lifestyle you want to lead.

We'd love to have you in the neighborhood.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Thanks Staubio, same things are going through my mind.  I know the MAx is right there, but thats a twenty minute bus ride each way every day.  I also love walking to the plaza for all my drinking/socializing/coffee shop needs.  In the end though I think I will make the move due to the building and just wanting a "fresh" start in another KC hood.  See ya soon RVM peeps!
GO ROOs!!!!!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

UMKCroo wrote: Thanks Staubio, same things are going through my mind.  I know the MAx is right there, but thats a twenty minute bus ride each way every day.  I also love walking to the plaza for all my drinking/socializing/coffee shop needs.  In the end though I think I will make the move due to the building and just wanting a "fresh" start in another KC hood.  See ya soon RVM peeps!
Cool.  Drop me a PM and your first I-walked-to-Harry's beer is on me. :-)
chuck
Pad site
Pad site

Post by chuck »

staubio wrote: Cool.  Drop me a PM and your first I-walked-to-Harry's beer is on me. :-)
staubio, i didn't know there was such a deal. I moved to the RM in april and never got an I-walked-to-Harry's beer.