OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

jlbomega wrote: Powercat, GRID, doc???
Yes?  People have different opinions, doesn't mean either are right or wrong. 

The arena will help P&L no doubt...as would an anchor tenant.....not sure anybody has stated differently.  I don't agree that tenants are backing out or the district won't make it w/o an anchor tenant.

I do very much agree the district needs unique options to draw people in.....some filler stores is fine to satisfy downtown resident/employee needs but the district needs regional draws....I've stated as much many times.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

I don't know what more I can say jlb...I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  I don't think I could say it any better than Chrizow said it above...huge daytime downtown workers population...convention business...residential base...unique new concepts.  I still don't agree that P&L success is contingent upon an anchor tenant with 45 dates and I don't think restaurants base their revenue projections on 45 days.  It won't hurt, no, but it wasn't in Cordish's original plan anyway.  More Cordish developments are built in areas without an arena or sports venue than with one.  That's what they do.  Just because we haven't heard all the tenant announcements doesn't mean they're not signed.  I still think they're trying to save some exciting announcements for closer to opening (which is their M.O.) rather than announce everything now and lose the buzz.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://www.4thstlive.com I think gives some good insight as to what Cordish might do here....some of their special events.  I also noticed they advertise free parking in one garage on nights and weekends....might be something they do under the KC Live! block.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AJoD wrote: I know I've seen some debate on the forum somewhere about the merit of Hard Rock Cafe, but ESPNZone?  Is that really a major tenant that would generate serious excitement or be a regional draw.

I guess if Rainforest Cafe and the dinosaur place make Village West special...
ESPN Zones are just as much a regional draw as HRC, if not more.  We are not getting one though, so it doesn't matter.

Anybody watch that fox 4 video?  It shows a hard rock in the renderings.  Looks just like the one in Louisville with the giant guitar.

Either way, I think Cordish knows what they are doing as far as bringing in tenants that will work, all of their other developments seem to be doing pretty good.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Why are people treating that Fox4 piece like scripture?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Why are people treating that Fox4 piece like scripture?
Because when Cordish says "we will announce tenants by the end of next month" it is B.S.!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

GRID wrote: ESPN Zones are just as much a regional draw as HRC, if not more.  We are not getting one though, so it doesn't matter.
Is Blake Cordish your golfing buddy?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Pointless.  All voted for suburban stadiums.  They're obv. not concerned with pro sports being DT.

I would argue tho, that for the P&L businesspeople, they're certainly concerned with it.  If AEG brings in 100 acts in yr 1, but only 75 in yr 2, doesn't that mean that Bristol has to model 25% less business (from Arena spectators)?  Doesn't that impact their desire to be there?

And since the Areana opens 6 months before P&L, you're now losing 1/2 of your busiest Arena year you'll ever see!  Why would the P&L tenants not want that 6 months of "hoopla"?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kucer wrote: The Bristol is in bumf&ck South OP and there are plenty of folks who haven't been there since it left the Plaza because of that.

So I gather that either (1) KCMO-ites are mad Bristol left....even tho it was due to JC Nichols and a lease disagreement, not a desire for JoCo.....or (2) KCMO-ites won't patronize a place they like if it's in JoCo.  But they expect patronage for their places from JoCo-ites.

Um.  Yeah.  That makes sense.  :?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maitre D wrote: I would argue tho, that for the P&L businesspeople, they're certainly concerned with it.  If AEG brings in 100 acts in yr 1, but only 75 in yr 2, doesn't that mean that Bristol has to model 25% less business (from Arena spectators)?  Doesn't that impact their desire to be there?
This is true, obviously less events means less potential customers from the arena.  I think where opinions differ here is some are seeing the arena patrons and necessary for the district success, while other see them as a bonus.

I think Cordish's business model views these additional people as a bonus.....since they did sign on to run the district before an arena vote was taken...wouldn't be very smart to "count on" people coming from an arena that hadn't even been funded yet, would it?

Obviously I'm sure they welcomed the arena and any events it can get.  I truly think their ability to land unique tenants to the metro is a bigger factor....their ability to draw people with their concert series seems to be a big factor in their other developments as well.

I also think some more retail would work well if it ONLY served downtown residents/workers...there is a huge market there that is largely untapped.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: their ability to draw people with their concert series seems to be a big factor in their other developments as well.
I kinda forgot about the concert area. Does anyone know how many concerts there are supposed to be at KC Live....per week or month?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: This is true, obviously less events means less potential customers from the arena.  I think where opinions differ here is some are seeing the arena patrons and necessary for the district success, while other see them as a bonus.

I think Cordish's business model views these additional people as a bonus.....since they did sign on to run the district before an arena vote was taken...wouldn't be very smart to "count on" people coming from an arena that hadn't even been funded yet, would it?

Obviously I'm sure they welcomed the arena and any events it can get.  I truly think their ability to land unique tenants to the metro is a bigger factor....their ability to draw people with their concert series seems to be a big factor in their other developments as well.

I also think some more retail would work well if it ONLY served downtown residents/workers...there is a huge market there that is largely untapped.

Cordish DID sign up before the Arena, but they also expected a Fall 07 opening which isn't happening now for whatever reasons.  So there are obviously business issues that do occur, for any business/project.

Personally, I think they can make it work w/o an anchor.  (Not sure if they could w/o an arena....least, not a large project they have scheduled now).  But boy, those 600K people with dough are suuuuuure nice.

I wonder if Cordish is going to contribute to any incentive package given to a potential anchor?  They sure's hell benefit from it, so the City/AEG needs to make sure this "free rider" doesn't get...well....a free ride.

doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

Maitre D wrote:
Cordish DID sign up before the Arena, but they also expected a Fall 07 opening which isn't happening now for whatever reasons.  So there are obviously business issues that do occur, for any business/project.

Personally, I think they can make it work w/o an anchor.  (Not sure if they could w/o an arena....least, not a large project they have scheduled now).   But boy, those 600K people with dough are suuuuuure nice.

I wonder if Cordish is going to contribute to any incentive package given to a potential anchor?  They sure's hell benefit from it, so the City/AEG needs to make sure this "free rider" doesn't get...well....a free ride.
I realize Cordish received great incentives, but they do have a significant amount of their own capital invested in this project as well so I wouldn't call them a "free rider." 

Just for the record, I am not a suburbanite and I enthusiastically support a downtown stadium and all things downtown. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maitre D wrote:
Actually they were aiming for end '06 early '07 initially....most of the issues have steamed from the transfer of the land to Cordish to begin work.  That's why they don't HAVE to be open until '09 now......typical construction delays is what it appears to be...maybe some tenant shyness, don't think most of us will ever really know.

Hopefully still some tenants open in Oct.  The few that did open would make a killing and get an early hook into the market I'd think.

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Surely this has been discussed previously, but I was wondering how late the clubs/bars will be open in P&L.  Will it be 3am, or will we not know until later?  Also, I seem to remember some discussion on here about open containers in the P&L.  What's the story?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KC-wildcat wrote:Also, I seem to remember some discussion on here about open containers in the P&L.
I hope that doesn't mean you can only get a drink in a plastic cup.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Open Containers: Yes. There will be a closed-off section in which people may traffic between bars, clubs, and restaurants with drinks in hand. I believe this will be the lamely-named "Kansas City Live!" block.

3am: Yes, I have heard that 3am licenses will be granted for establishments within the P&L. Whether they use them is a separate question.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

i've been out of the loop for a while... 
like many here, I live downtown within walking distance to the P&L district / Arena and I'm wondering when I'll be able to walk down to the movie theater, grocery, Chipotle, etc.
When is the arena opening?
When is the P&L district opening?
is the grocery store / fitness club on the block w/ Cupini's supposed to be completed for the grand opening?  That site looks much further behind than the strip on 13th street that looks about finished...
maybe we could put a sticky w/ opening dates information as we learn more....
thanks, I know I'm too lazy to search thru multiple threads for this info 
Last edited by Critical_Mass on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

bahua wrote: 3am: Yes, I have heard that 3am licenses will be granted for establishments within the P&L. Whether they use them is a separate question.

Any way there will be a "coffee club" there....where they serve alcohol at all hours (even wee hours) so long as they're also serving breakfast?  I've heard of these before.

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Critical_Mass wrote: When is the arena opening?

When is the P&L district opening?

is the grocery store / fitness club on the block w/ Cupini's supposed to be completed for the grand opening? 
When is the arena opening? October 13th is the first event planned.

When is the P&L district opening? Stagered openings from October-Febuary (most of them in Febuary)

is the grocery store / fitness club on the block w/ Cupini's supposed to be completed for the grand opening? Grocery Store will be the last thing to open in the P&L District b/c they have to wait to see what happens with the W Hotel. It may not be complted until 2009.