OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by STLguy1 »

The bathroom green red lights I just saw at the new Wallys in St. Louis last weekend. So they have them at gas stations now.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

very few airports are architecturally impressive is terms of bold design, risks, and or more art-centric approach. I'm sure there are some out there across the world that would fit the bill, and there are airports that will have some unique design elements.

Airport are utilitarian buildings designed to meet needs, be easy to navigate and move people from point A to point B as easily as possible. Now humans are creatures that enjoy art & things that appeal to their sense so you have to design things with this in mind. To bland people have a hard time being in them and will avoid them. Too bold a design can confuse and lead to anxiety of not being able to understand or appreciate the complexity. So a nice balance is needed. I for one like what I have seen in pics and renderings. I'm willing to hold judgement until everything is done and experience it in the moment. So I get why people would wait and some may express concern over being underwhelmed. Honestly the only airport I've had the pleasure of just being able to visit that was really cool design wise was the old TWA terminal at JFK. That was cool, albeit maybe a little too funky :)
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Fancy cities get fancy airports. But they often don't age well. Just spent a week in the UK. Spent many hours at Heathrow Terminal Five, which was the hullabaloo in the aughts, cost 5 billion dollars, Richard Rogers did the master architecture, etc, etc.

Anyhow, it looks very dated. The fancy bits look out-of-date even after the shopping arcade re-do. The actual terminal structure, while architecturally smart, just looks old.

Denver is even in worse shape and it's not much older.

I think a smaller airport that is well maintained is the best approach for KC. I actually like the Kivett & Myers design for KCI, and I think it has aged well as a physical structure, its security adaptation notwithstanding. I also like the Crown Center master plan (Edward Larrabee Barnes and Harry Weese).
Last edited by herrfrank on Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:32 pm Fancy cities get fancy airports.
NY would like a word.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:41 pm
NY would like a word.
Have you seen the new LaGuardia? It is of course an enormous improvement. But the cost is eye-watering. $8 billion and counting.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think the only airports I've ever been to in the US that looked memorable was DCA and SAC.

Aside from that, they're all, at best, just clean white generic hallways, and at worst, claustrophobic dated dirty messes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:49 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:41 pm
NY would like a word.
Have you seen the new LaGuardia? It is of course an enormous improvement. But the cost is eye-watering. $8 billion and counting.
Yeah the new LGA terminal is a noted exception. it's pretty nice but not even sure I'd put it in the fancy class.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anything that's been built recently is quite nice and anything going up is quite nice.

Check out recent openings or renderings for UC terminals at Indy, Ohara, New Orleans, JFK, LaGuardia, San Diego and many more. Sure there are some crappy airports out there, but the ones getting new terminals are very nice.

I'm not saying KCI won't be nice as well. The new KCI will take it from one of the worst to one of the better airports, simply because it's new. I still think it's one of the more boring designs and is a budget terminal. But at least it's a new terminal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:54 pm I think the only airports I've ever been to in the US that looked memorable was DCA and SAC.

Aside from that, they're all, at best, just clean white generic hallways, and at worst, claustrophobic dated dirty messes.
SAC looks amazing. Cost Per Enplaned Passenger went through the roof and lead to flights getting cut.

I think our focus should be on creating a terminal that sets us up for success. We will have functional, modern looks & amenities. We also won't break the bank like some of the projects did
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Honestly, I don’t really care about the way the airport looks. All I care about is number of direct flights

I don’t care if the design is budget. As long as it isn’t a complete dump, if there are more convenient flights, it’s a success
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

freedog wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:47 pm Honestly, I don’t really care about the way the airport looks. All I care about is number of direct flights

I don’t care if the design is budget. As long as it isn’t a complete dump, if there are more convenient flights, it’s a success
Exactly. MOST travelers, by a wide margin, won't remember a thing about the appearance of an airport unless the place has a lot of drama and BS going on inside, has crammed security checkpoints, or has you walking miles and miles to get anywhere. The vast majority of travelers couldn't tell you the difference between Detroit, Minneapolis, and SLC. Even after visiting each. They simply DO NOT CARE as long as they are not inconvenienced. All these things stated on here as a case for an entire new airport are and have always been totally overblown, as usual, to line someone's pockets. Welcome to the 21st.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:54 pm I think the only airports I've ever been to in the US that looked memorable was DCA and SAC.

SAC is a great example of how to do a mid-tier airport with some style. One of my favorites.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:00 am

SAC is a great example of how to do a mid-tier airport with some style. One of my favorites.
Great example of an airport project that drove airlines away
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:37 pm

True, but it looks fantastic!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:37 pm

Good point haha Sac had some major issues with land fees IIRC
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I'd prefer a well-designed airport that isn't an architectural standout but is cost-efficient enough to entice new carriers and routes to a signature architectural wonder that costs so much that we end up increasing landing fees and drive carriers away.

(That may be the longest sentence I've ever written without having to use a comma.)
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

^^^^^^^^
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Floor photos

herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I think those mosaic sections were from the 1990s terminal A remodel.

Does anyone remember the old KCI floors? Heavily waxed wood parquet. This was before wheeled baggage.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I think that's so neat they saved some of the mosic floors and are incorporating them into the new terminal.

Would've been a shame to lose all 39 from the old terminal A