beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: beer.

Post by bobbyhawks »

Was the coffee ale caffeinated, or is that illegal? Or is it legal and it wasn't caffeinated?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote:Coffee beer at least sounds appealing.

Not sure about this one:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/23/41 ... ental.html

Boulevard is venturing out into a bit wackiness. Hope it doesn't sting them.
As long as they keep it this side of Rogue's deplorable tendency toward all-things-twee (and some of them simply repackaged), I'll be okeh with it. For better or worse, goofiness seems one of the inevitable, regrettable by-products of the broader foodie culture. Like eating baby octopuses that have been massaged to death with salt.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

snow confirms they'll have a keg of the tripel julep.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Love Child #3 Smokestack hit liquor stores yesterday.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I don't really get this move. And I certainly don't get the new label. It looks so fat and Microsoft Publisher-y.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/26/42 ... nning.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote:I don't really get this move. And I certainly don't get the new label. It looks so fat and Microsoft Publisher-y.

They must think that their original decision to put the pilsner in with the cheap beer and sell it in a distinctly non-Boulevard design was holding it back. I tend to agree. People love it, but I don't think they were selling more pilsner because it was in a different location than the other Boulevard offerings. I'm not sure how much I love the design, but I love the intent of the design. Pilsner probably has a chance to move more product than any other line they have going right now, and I think it makes sense for them to tie the design into their other products. Wheat is not for everybody. Pale Ale is not for everybody. Their other beers are in a variety of niches. Pilsner is something that most beer drinkers will drink. It is something that you can buy a case of for a party and not worry that someone will be unhappy. I think it is great that they feature "KC" so prominently.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

smh wrote:I don't really get this move. And I certainly don't get the new label. It looks so fat and Microsoft Publisher-y.

Graphics aside, it's nice to have the "KC" so prominent.

beat me to it bobbyhawk!
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I actually observed people who thought it was Schlitz until they took a closer look at the label.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, it seems the price will be increasing to match the other core beers. So that's probably good for Boulevard too.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

...and bad for people who like a decent pils at a sub-premium price point.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I like it better. I think BLVD's design sensibilites are top notch, and I like seeing the Pilsner brought in line with the rest of them. I also like that its not derivative. I appreciated the Muelbach nod, but I prefer an original design, especially that one.

Bummed about the price increase though, but its a difference of what? A buck/sixpack?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

not a fan of boulevard's move to bring Pilsner in line with its other beers (though I like the design). I thought the whole point was to make a top notch "Boulevard Budweiser" that everyone can enjoy that blows the generic big brews out of the water?

I loved grabbing a 12 pack at $10.99 and watching them enjoyed by beer folks and non-beer folks alike. It was a great replacement for Bud products or cheap "hot day" beer in our fridge, or for parties. I always wanted to see them canned to bring camping, tailgating, whatever. Alas, maybe I was the only one.

Beer experience note - I made it down to the Mother's Brewery and tasting room in Springfield. Awesome place; they have a small bar and tasting room with a handful of tables, and all of their beers available to sample and buy on draft or in bottles. They also had five or six unique "only at the brewery" beers, one of which I brought home in a growler (Pulp Fiction - sort of a Belgian Wit spiked with fresh Blood Oranges). They also have a nice little outdoor green space with picnic tables. Place was packed on a nice night. Highly recommended if you find yourself in SW MO.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Has anyone tried the tripel julep?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:Has anyone tried the tripel julep?
I had some last week at Westside Local. I thought it was really tasty. Nice minty flavor on top of the tripel base.

I'd be curious to know if it is still around anywhere. Westside Local is out.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Farmhouse has it.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Also, Tannin.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Had it at Grunauer (sp?). Fucking stellar.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

The mint julep wasn't my thing. Tasted like pilsner mixed with Scope. I got a taster at Antons a couple weeks ago. No clue if they still have any though.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

bluebird on 17th has the Julep, or did last weekend. I had a taste and wasn't a fan, though it might have grown on me with a full glass. I also had a glass of the coffee ale at bluebird brunch a couple weeks ago; they seem to be an under-the-radar place to get blvd's experimental drafts of late.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

amigoni has it.