beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
smh
Supporter

Re: beer.

Post by smh »

grovester wrote:Happend upon a bottle of Love Child #2, BLVD's latest smokestack series. Can't say I'm a fan, particularly at $17 a bottle. Not sure it still qualifies as beer once it gets that sour.
Where'd you find a bottle at this late date?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Merigold in Merriam. They always seem to get a few bottles, but it's such a divey non-beer nerd place, they don't feel any sense of urgency to put it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find it, but then I made the mistake of opening it.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:Merigold in Merriam. They always seem to get a few bottles, but it's such a divey non-beer nerd place, they don't feel any sense of urgency to put it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find it, but then I made the mistake of opening it.
I agree. This is something I just do not get. I usually try to be open-minded about new flavors and spins on things, but I cannot get into sour beer like this. Perhaps my palate is not sophisticated enough, but my initial run-ins with sour beer have not been pleasant. I first tried this at Clips of Faith in the form of La Folie or something like that. I really am not a fan of New Belgium's beers overall, but I thought someone was trying to trick me with that one. It seems like a gimmicky trend that brewers are following to prove that they can do something technical.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bobbyhawks wrote:
grovester wrote:Merigold in Merriam. They always seem to get a few bottles, but it's such a divey non-beer nerd place, they don't feel any sense of urgency to put it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find it, but then I made the mistake of opening it.
I agree. This is something I just do not get. I usually try to be open-minded about new flavors and spins on things, but I cannot get into sour beer like this. Perhaps my palate is not sophisticated enough, but my initial run-ins with sour beer have not been pleasant. I first tried this at Clips of Faith in the form of La Folie or something like that. I really am not a fan of New Belgium's beers overall, but I thought someone was trying to trick me with that one. It seems like a gimmicky trend that brewers are following to prove that they can do something technical.
While I enjoyed Love Child #2, my first experience with sour beer did not go so well. At the Strong Ale Festival in Westport last fall I tried a sour beer from 75th Street (the name escapes me, something about Betty I think). Anyway, this was one of the last beers we tried that day and I credit it, along with a later round of Gears of War on my friend's 80" projection screen, with causing me to lose most of the strong ales I consumed that day. Something about it just did not mesh with the other contents of my stomach and left me very wary of sour beers. But again, I was pleasantly surprised at Love Child.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Hit the trifecta on new beer tasting this weekend, Boulevard's 80 acre hoppy wheat, smokestack series Stingo, and Mother's 3 blind mice. Hoppy wheat was hoppy (surprise) with less of a dry aftertaste. It's a permanent addition to blvd's six pack selection. I'm not a big hopp guy, so not too excited. The Stingo was good, english style ale, a bit dry as expected, but it grew on you. Good thing I didn't get 2. Mothers is a new addition to KC, I've seen 3 or 4 offerings. 3 blind mice is a brown ale, some of which can be sweet and cloying, but this one is not. More balanced and a bit more carbonation.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... .html#more

Gregory & Main. I didn't think this sort of thing was legal. Sounds enticing.

Edit: Just realized I posted twice in a row on the beer thread. Someone cut me off.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I kind of sounds like it wasn't legal until they jumped through a gazillion hoops to make it legal.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I saw my first 6 pack of Nutcracker at Trader Joe's yesterday. Tis the season. Now I need to find Sierra Nevada's Celebration
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I usually drink beer, but this time of year I also start craving a good Hot Buttered Rum. They are common in the south, but have never seen one on a KC drink menu...anyone know of a spot in kc to get one of these? Seems like Kill Devil Club would be able to make one.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

droopy wrote:I saw my first 6 pack of Nutcracker at Trader Joe's yesterday. Tis the season. Now I need to find Sierra Nevada's Celebration
Alas, by the time I roll into KC for Christmas, it will be long gone. :(
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Highlander wrote:
droopy wrote:I saw my first 6 pack of Nutcracker at Trader Joe's yesterday. Tis the season. Now I need to find Sierra Nevada's Celebration
Ironically, you will probably be able to get the Irish Ale by that time.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Ironically, you will probably be able to get the Irish Ale by that time.
Theoretically, both should be available during my stay; late December to early January, but Nutcracker is such a hot commodity, it's never available by the time I get there.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I didnt win the powerball but I feel like I won the beer lottery. I just popped into Gomers on a Sierra Nevada Celebration and they did so I grabbed a 6er. For to the counter and it's on sale for $6.98. O.o So I went back and got a case.

Highlander - still lots so Nutcracker around.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

droopy wrote:I didnt win the powerball but I feel like I won the beer lottery. I just popped into Gomers on a Sierra Nevada Celebration and they did so I grabbed a 6er. For to the counter and it's on sale for $6.98. O.o So I went back and got a case.

Highlander - still lots so Nutcracker around.

Next time you are in Gomer's, shove some to the back of the fridge and out of sight a bit!
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Costco in Midtown has 24-packs of Nutcracker for $24
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Not to rub it in, Highlander, but the holidays are on in KC.

I've had several Nutcrackers each day for the past week. It seems to be on taps most everywhere. Even enjoyed it at Mecum's classic car auction.

Seems that everyone is serving it, but Grunaur's, where I had to settle for a couple of Brungoldenschlossingdoppleganger's.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

loftguy wrote:Seems that everyone is serving it, but Grunaur's, where I had to settle for a couple of Brungoldenschlossingdoppleganger's.
I haven't had this beer, but I've had one that tasted exactly like it.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

In that article beside the rare beer they have a list of the top craft beer makers in US, Blvd is 12 but i noticed it had the least amound of likes, only 19