OFFICIAL: Tuilleries Plaza

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Tuilleries Plaza

Post by nota »

KCPowercat wrote: Not sure what made me think that....but say in comparision to Boardwalk, they appear to have a lot more parking spots per business in this development...maybe it was just the layout.
I dont' know either. How it looks with all that open land is that they are waiting to pave it over. I can see how one would think that. And since it is going so slowly (or not at all) methinks the next stages will be slow in coming.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: I dont' know either. How it looks with all that open land is that they are waiting to pave it over. I can see how one would think that. And since it is going so slowly (or not at all) methinks the next stages will be slow in coming.
I would say the next phase as well as the center's current vitality rests on the prospect of bringing in a high quality or niche grocer. If they get a popular one, the leasing will probably be fast and furious.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

trailerkid wrote: I would say the next phase as well as the center's current vitality rests on the prospect of bringing in a high quality or niche grocer. If they get a popular one, the leasing will probably be fast and furious.
I'm voting for Fresh Market.
Jason
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jason »

http://tuileriesplaza.com/directory.html

You can see the planned layout here.  This should answer the parking question, if it all fills out as shown.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

they sure did squander that central space by putting parking in there...

it's not the usual carnage, but it makes me squirm.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't know if the intent was ever to have hidden parking and some sort of new urban concepts there. I thought it was just a shopping village...I think it will mostly closely resemble a modern Prairie Village Shops when complete.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: I don't know if the intent was ever to have hidden parking and some sort of new urban concepts there. I thought it was just a shopping village...I think it will mostly closely resemble a modern Prairie Village Shops when complete.
Yes, New Urbanism was promoted when the developers announced this project.  The result is only slightly true. It's better than totally linear strip mall, and there will be residential across the street. So I'd say it's about 15% New Urban.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: Yes, New Urbanism was promoted when the developers announced this project.  The result is only slightly true. It's better than totally linear strip mall, and there will be residential across the street. So I'd say it's about 15% New Urban.
Oh...didn't know that. In that case, this project gets a D- for design if the developers thought they were going to bring something comparable to Zona Rosa in. I was under the impression it was just a local shopping village.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

^ They never claimed to be going for a Zona Rosa thing.  Just a neighborhood center that was more pedestrian friendly and had a bit of residential attached.  You have to admit this is at least a little better than something like BarryWoods.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I was near Tuilleries at noon so Idecided to cruise through.  Looks nice, BUT I still don't understand the humongous expense of cobblestone roads for a center that is already showing signs of catering toward tanning salons, cosmetic shops, mid grade fast food like Quizno's and a handful of decent "sit down" restaurants.  Not to mention the roads are far from being level.  I get the traffic calming devices, but the parts of the road that are supposed to be flat are rolling all over the place.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I was near Tuilleries at noon so Idecided to cruise through.  Looks nice, BUT I still don't understand the humongous expense of cobblestone roads for a center that is already showing signs of catering toward tanning salons, cosmetic shops, mid grade fast food like Quizno's and a handful of decent "sit down" restaurants.  Not to mention the roads are far from being level.  I get the traffic calming devices, but the parts of the road that are supposed to be flat are rolling all over the place.
I'm thinking that wasn't originally what they had in mind as far as their tenant mix.  Then reality set in.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

The ball is finally starting to roll on this project.  Several of the previously unoccupied store fronts now have "coming soon" banners up.  It seems like there's a new skeleton going up every week now.  The developers must be getting a lot of interest in order to continue to add more buildings like they have been recently.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Thrillcekr wrote: The ball is finally starting to roll on this project.  Several of the previously unoccupied store fronts now have "coming soon" banners up.  It seems like there's a new skeleton going up every week now.  The developers must be getting a lot of interest in order to continue to add more buildings like they have been recently.
I'll believe it when I see it. The new skeletons are probably for the most part because of a construction contract.

I've had misgivings about this place for a couple of years. And I still do. No matter the tearing up of a perfectly good new state highway for a turn lane.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I just got my Northland magazine today. The Tuileries ad says caribou coffee is coming soon
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Tuilleries just lost their first restaurant I heard that Pacific Grill closed on Monday.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

butter_breath wrote: Tuilleries just lost their first restaurant I heard that Pacific Grill closed on Monday.
That is too bad, but they weren't very good either.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Any real evidence of this?  I'll do a drive by (bike by) today.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I drove past there last night about 5 and there were cars on both sides.

When we were going home somewhat after 10, the Pacific Grill signs were lit up on both sides of the building.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Slappy the Wang wrote: Any real evidence of this?  I'll do a drive by (bike by) today.
Went by this afternoon......"Due to circumstances beyond our control, Pacific Grille has closed its doors July 5."
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Went by this afternoon......"Due to circumstances beyond our control, Pacific Grille has closed its doors July 5."
Tuileries already had it's first casualty.  Not a big deal.  Flat Wok in Zona Rosa bit the big one shortly after it opened but all is well.  I never ate at Pacific Grill but people that I know who ate there all seemed to say the same thing.  The food tasted alright but they served teeny tiny little portions at a fairly high price.  Northlanders don't mind paying extra for a good meal but you won't get away with charging 15 bucks for a piece of fish the size of a postage stamp up here.  They got taught the same lesson that Red Star did.  Houlihan's is occupying their old digs and doing well I hear.