Rankings, lists, and such

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Rankings, lists, and such

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: I live alone in a two-bedroom ranch house with one bath, a living room, a small kitchen and utility room with a single-car garage that was built in 1954. The sq. footage is 1,024 sq. ft.

I looked at about 25 houses before I found this one. My realtor kept taking me to larger houses (3-4 bedrooms). I kept telling him I wanted a small house. I would have been happy with a 700-800 sq. ft. one-bedroom house, but I couldn't find one.
Congrats on your house find.  Of course that house is bigger than the 3 bedroom house I grew up in in a family of five (800-850 was more like it).  Maybe if you looked further east and to the south you could have found a house the size you wanted.

Not picking on you, just pointing out people live where they live for many reasons irregardless of your "social responsibilities" in a "perfect world" of "ethical" beings.

You want to create density then decrease the size of those living units in places you listed.  My son lived in a 300 sq ft (if that) duplex for two years in the Soulard area of St. Louie so it can be done.
If they stay in the central city, seniors would move into smaller apartments in high-rise buildings that are more efficient
Do you know the size of most senior apartments?  Most that I have seen are in the 300 to 400 ft range.  If those sizes are good enough for seniors then shouldn't they be big enough for the youngsters?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

with regard to efficiency and use of resouces, square footage of one's home is definitely relevant, but with the advances in technology to make homes more efficient, you can heat/cool/etc. a large home these days using less energy than it took to do the same with a very small home in the past.  also, the biggest energy suckers are appliances and the like, so if you buy efficient home appliances you're also ahead of the curve vis a vis the past.  obviously this isn't an exact comparison, but i would bet that Fang's "carbon footprint" with his 1,000-sq ft home with thermal windows and (presumably) decent appliances is as efficient as living in a tiny apartment with single-pane windows 30 years ago.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

People are crazed about buying huge houses.  The wealthy suburbs of Denver have enormous places.  I always wonder what they do with all that space.  There must be rooms that no one ever uses. 

My sister had a very large house in the DC area and no one ever used the living or dining rooms. 

I read an article once about a guy who went back to visit the home he grew up in.  The current owners had expanded it because it was too small for a family with 2 kid.  His parents raised 5 kids in the house.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pash wrote: Reminds me of the fat guy who, after he finally starts going to the gym, treats himself to an extra couple of scoops of ice-cream.  "I just burned 500 calories, I deserve it."
well, sure, but i am talking about within reason.  a 10,000 sq ft house with all the "green" trimmings like al gore's house is not really what i am talking about.  surely even the most ardent eco-warrior would permit a single person to live in a place larger than a 300 sq ft LEED platinum apartment?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote: well, sure, but i am talking about within reason.  a 10,000 sq ft house with all the "green" trimmings like al gore's house is not really what i am talking about.  surely even the most ardent eco-warrior would permit a single person to live in a place larger than a 300 sq ft LEED platinum apartment?
Hows about 90 sf?

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/simp ... e-2472666/
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Congrats on your house find.  Of course that house is bigger than the 3 bedroom house I grew up in in a family of five (800-850 was more like it).  Maybe if you looked further east and to the south you could have found a house the size you wanted.

Not picking on you, just pointing out people live where they live for many reasons irregardless of your "social responsibilities" in a "perfect world" of "ethical" beings.

You want to create density then decrease the size of those living units in places you listed.  My son lived in a 300 sq ft (if that) duplex for two years in the Soulard area of St. Louie so it can be done.
Do you know the size of most senior apartments?  Most that I have seen are in the 300 to 400 ft range.  If those sizes are good enough for seniors then shouldn't they be big enough for the youngsters?
I do believe we need to add more smaller housing units in the central city to give singles and seniors more choices to stay in their neighborhoods.  A lot of the smaller apartment buildings in the central city have been demolished and not replaced.  If you read my past posts, you will notice that I constantly advocate for creating more senior housing in multi-use settings--often in retail areas near grocery and drug stores, health care services, and transit.

One of the problems of aging is that seniors have trouble keeping up their houses, doing housecleaning, etc. Their older houses are sometimes not set up for their needs. And of course we have to plan for the day they no longer drive.  Many older people are also on fixed incomes that are so small that they cannot afford their utilities, and have to make choices of paying for them, food, or medication.  There is a real shortage of low-income housing for seniors, and we need more of it.

But my point in bringing this up, was not so much the size of the houses the single seniors live in in my neighborhood, but the use of energy. Several of them live in 3-story older houses that haven't been updated to conserve energy. They are too old to maintain them, and it affects the property resale value of their neighbors.

I understand sentiment for the house you have lived in. But my parents downsized to a smaller house once their kids were raised. My mother was very sentimental, but they also didn't want to pay the heat bills there, and even she thought a family should have our former house.  One of my brothers also downsized to a smaller house after his kids left home.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

pash wrote: I'm not an ardent eco-warrior.  I just wanted to point out that if the goal is to reduce your carbon footprint, you can't rationalize away the adverse impact of one aspect of your lifestyle merely by compensating in other areas.  Plus-one and minus-one nets to zero.

Of course, it's eco-good that Fang's house has geothermal and insulating windows.  That means his carbon footprint living there is less than it otherwise would be.  We'd be well on our way to the Al Gore seal of approval if everyone made those improvements. Just don't kid yourself that you're living the green life if you leave your single-occupancy, single-family home and get into your car, alone, to drive across town to work everyday.

(Not saying that's you, Fang, or passing judgment if it is, just continuing the conversation that started with your post.)
Like I said, my electric and gas bill for this house are about the same as it was for my smaller apartment on Quality Hill, which was built in the late 1980s I think. My house was built in 1954, but it's had some modifications with the better windows, insulation, and heat pump. My appliances are also newer, and more energy efficient, than those in the Quality Hill apartment.  I plan on adding a tankless, on-demand, water heater as well, which should cut my gas bill an additional 40 percent.

I guess I could have found an even smaller house had I continued looking, but I was on a time-deadline since my apartment on Quality Hill was going condo.  There are some 615 sq. foot cottage houses on the next street, but none of those were for sale. I also needed a house that had already had the energy efficiency updates made. The other thing is that they didn't have a yard big enough to have a garden, which I needed for physical exercise for my health. I also wanted to raise some of my own food.

The other factor was that I needed to find a house that didn't need any renovations, which was incredibly hard in my budget range. I also needed a house that had one extra bedroom for house guests, so they didn't have to always sleep on my couch.

My carbon footprint is pretty low compared to most people, since I only put around 2500 miles on my car a year, and I drive a 4-cylinder, compact.  I've lived in KC for 9 years and the first 3.5 years I lived here, I didn't have a car. I finally had to get one when my mother became ill, and I had to be able to drive up to NY Missouri. I also have a chronic health condition that was making it harder for me to deal with grocery-shopping on the bus. This was before there was a grocery store downtown.

I also lived in NYC for 10 years and didn't have a car.

That said, I did make conscious choices not to buy a larger house than I needed, and constantly had to keep reminding my realtor to quit taking me to larger houses. I did seek out energy-efficiency as a priority, and it was a big consideration in my purchase decision.

I understand that we all make a variety of choices in where we live; however, I think in this day and age, more of us need to be more socially-responsible, and make some accommodations and sacrifices where we can.

Our choices do affect others.  When we use more energy than we need, it increases the price of energy for everyone, and a lot of people already have difficulty affording to buy energy now.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Unnecessary climate control is as big a culprit as home size. A 2500 square foot shirtwaist with its windows open is greener than an 300 sqaure foot apartment with the air running.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have no problem with people living in large houses. It's the energy issue.

If our country would just get off its' ass and invest in renewable energy like wind and solar to the extent that most of our residential and auto power came from those sources, then I don't have any problem with people having as big a house as they want.

I wish I could afford to install wind and solar at my house so I could live off the grid as much as possible, but for that to happen, we need investment in the technology to bring prices down.

We also need to figure out how to transmit our power over lines without losing so much of it over the distance.

The Great Plains is called the Saudi Arabia of wind.

If we could power most of our homes and cars using renewable energy, then we wouldn't have to have such a huge defense budget, and we could better deal with our deficits, and our aging population and health costs.  We would probably not have to borrow money from other countries.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City Public Library garage makes list of 50 Strangest Buildings of the World

http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-buil ... the-world/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Kansas City Public Library garage makes list of 50 Strangest Buildings of the World

Kansas City fountain among the 12 odd and bizarre fountains in the world.

http://villageofjoy.com/12-odd-and-bizarre-fountains/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City fountain among the 12 odd and bizarre fountains in the world.

http://villageofjoy.com/12-odd-and-bizarre-fountains/
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

[quote author=FangKC link=topic=16631.msg463311#msg463311
I understand sentiment for the house you have lived in. But my parents downsized to a smaller house once their kids were raised. My mother was very sentimental, but they also didn't want to pay the heat bills there, and even she thought a family should have our former house.  One of my brothers also downsized to a smaller house after his kids left home.
[/quote]

When my last sibling graduated from college, my parents sold their house and moved into an apartment.  My father said he never wanted to own another home/condo.  He always joked that his favorite pastime was to go to the hardware store and watch all the happy homeowners.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

My aunt lived in a large apartment building that was across from Unity on the Plaza.  She didn't drive, but public transit was good then. Nearby were lots of apartment buildings.  She had a friend who lived in one and a high school friend and her mother lived in another.  I'll bet they are all gone now.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

FangKC wrote: Kansas City Public Library garage makes list of 50 Strangest Buildings of the World

Here's another weird house
http://www.forbes.com/2002/09/09/0909how.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC Metro area is listed as the 8th best for commuting.
8. Kansas City (Mo.-Kan.)

Most Kansas City commuters drive, taking advantage of the city's flat, expansive highway system. Its downtown features easy access from I-70, I-35 and U.S. 71. Parking is abundant, with nearly 22,000 parking spots downtown. Prices vary, but many spots are free (for a maximum of three hours). Gas is relatively cheap.

•Population: 2,067,585
•Average commute time: 22.6 minutes
•Yearly congestion cost per commuter: $498
•Average length of commute: 9.16 miles
•Cost of regular gas: $3.04
•Yearly delays per commuter: 21 hours
•Yearly fuel wasted per commuter: 20 gallons
•Public transit users: 1.7%
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: KC Metro area is listed as the 8th best for commuting.
post link?